Multi Tool advice wanted.

I want to get a multi tool, but which one. I've seen a RotaCraft kit at a reasonable price   Most posts mention the Dremil. Would this be the best buy, and what model should I get and at what sort of price?   Many thanks,  regards, Daisy.

I have been happy with a Minicraft drill and variable speed controller for a number of year but I would suggest that whatever you get it should have a wide speed range with the slowest speed possible. Sometimes minimum speeds of 3000 - 5000 rev/min are too fast for delicate work with burrs, etc.

Buy the best quality tools for use with it (I have found Proxxon drill bits better than most)

I want to get a multi tool, but which one. I've seen a RotaCraft kit at a reasonable price Most posts mention the Dremil. Would this be the best buy, and what model should I get and at what sort of price? Many thanks, regards, Daisy.

I wouldn't recommend the RotaCraft.

Regards

I would recommend, by a country mile, the Proxxon IBS/E.  It's about the same price of a dremel and much, much better made.  It's (shock) got a metal housing with decent bearings and hardend collets.  Together these mean that it's quieter, more precise and should last longer. The build quality is excellent and has the same range of collet sizes to take all the accessories that any other rotary tool does.

http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28481.php?list

You can find it online for £60 to £70.

• RMweb Gold

A Dremel, which ever model suits your needs or Proxxon at a push, give the Rotacraft one a miss the one I had didn't last long before the main bearing started to wear. 

Mini-craft ones are fairly good value for light drilling, but have weak bearings, which gradually "go" if you use them for side-pressure applications, such as grinding, a lot.

I demoted mine to become a paint-stirrer, which it is brilliant for - stirrer thingy is made from coat hanger wire, bent into a small delta at the end - take care to balance it correctly though, otherwise it will do strange stuff, and shoot paint all over the place (don't ask!).

K

Mini-craft ones are fairly good value for light drilling, but have weak bearings, which gradually "go" if you use them for side-pressure applications, such as grinding, a lot.

I demoted mine to become a paint-stirrer, which it is brilliant for - stirrer thingy is made from coat hanger wire, bent into a small delta at the end - take care to balance it correctly though, otherwise it will do strange stuff, and shoot paint all over the place (don't ask!).

K

I'm relieved that I wasn't the only one silly enough to make a mistake like this. :)  

K

Which Minicraft are you using? - My MB1012 is still going strong after something like 15 years or more (so long I can't remember when I got it!) - the main problem I have with it is when the chuck key goes walkabout - since it took me half a day to find it last time, now it's wired to the drill!

Can't remember, but I googled the MB1012, and it looks exactly like what I have at home.

Definite loss of concentricity over time, indicating a "shot" bearing.

Maybe I got too heavy-handed with the grinding!

K

Either the Proxxon IBS/E or the 12 volt FBS 12/EF would be fine. The FBS 12/EF can have either the collets or a chuck. This may be possible on the IBS/E but I am not sure.

If you want to run the 12 volt version on your own power supply then it needs to be rectified but UNSMOOTHED. This is because the built in speed control is thyrisitor based and if run on a smoothed supply just runs at full speed.

I have the 50 EF and find that it lacks torque for many jobs.

The two drills can be mounted in the excellent MB140S stand which has a very precise and smooth action. This can be further expanded by adding the KT70 table giving true milling ability.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Dremel and Proxxon are the top of the range, but alternatively keep a look out at your local Aldi, who run multi tools and accessories at a fraction of the cost of the others.

The important thing is they do the job!

My only issue with them is that I wish they would do the accessory packs without so many grinding stones, I have a bag full of unused ones.

I have 6 multi tools, two Dremel, and the remainder Powercraft by Aldi.

Typically it is one of the Dremel versions that has blown it's electronic speed controller.

I use a corded multi tool I bought from Argos, it was a fraction of the price of Dremel and the Dremel accessories fit it (I have the pillar drill thing). Make sure you get a flexi shaft and you can get to most places and dont have to worry about batteries.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I have a Dremel Li-on which I upgraded to after having the NiCad battery version for years and I'd always choose a cordless one now. They last well and you can get 3 jaw chucks for them, which you just screw on, to replace the collets so they can take any tool or use for twisting wire etc. Maplin seem to have a copy of the older Dremel regularly, just different colours but no idea if it's the same quality internals.

Case of you get what you pay for with any tool ;)

Thank you to all who gave advice & comments.

It Seems the Dremel is the superior tool.  But a little over budget for me at the moment.

Again, thanks to all.

Regards, Daisy.

Archived