Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

Another thing that I've noticed is that although the crossover looks right, the long coaches look awful traversing it. Luckily enough, it'll only have stone trains using it but it's going to rule out using the bay platform for passenger trains if I wanted to.

I know it's a bit late now, but I've only just seen your thread. I think the issue is caused by the use of a curved right-handed point and a Y because both lines curve outwards from the crossing V.

Using a pair of curved points would reduce or eliminate the problem.

• RMweb Gold

I know it's a bit late now, but I've only just seen your thread. I think the issue is caused by the use of a curved right-handed point and a Y because both lines curve outwards from the crossing V.

Using a pair of curved points would reduce or eliminate the problem.

Hi Simon

The curved points looked awful too due to the really tight radius of the Peco points. You're right in saying the issue is caused by the Y and curved point although in reality, this is pretty much how it would be but the transition would be much greater.

Here's a good example

post-18825-0-71283500-1465985127.jpg

Mike

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress last night - I managed to get the second wall of the mainline/bay platform fixed to the board. I need to shape the edge so that it follows the track line a little better though.

post-18825-0-20107100-1466076192_thumb.jpg

I was a bit worried that the running lines were too close together but this picture shows that it looks pretty spot on.

post-18825-0-58899400-1466076285_thumb.jpg

Next up will be the other platform wall and then I'll make a start on the platform tops which should be fun as they'r going to be a mixture of paving slabs and tarmac.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't resist sneaking in a picture of an HST. This is the plain power car to the Harry Patch set which doesn't match the coaches! The handrails aren't great either but I'm sure I'll live with it   :mosking:

post-18825-0-98216400-1466273192_thumb.jpg

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

looks great mate cant wait to see more  :sungum: what you using for platform top mate. 

Cheers. I'm using plasticard with paving slabs and tarmac / gravel as per Castle Cary. The only downside to it is that my modelling skills are a little limited (read that as, I have the ideas but have no clue how to achieve them!)

Edited by scoobyra

I think your track looks great, I may try those paints from the range myself !

It's your railway but I don't think you are stretching reality too far - after all there are stone trains and HSTs at westbury, Taunton , and I think some modern stone from the st austell area.

I like HSTs too, but being an old fart , they make me nostalgic for what I saw on the GW mainline in 1982. I'm sure hours on reading station have caused me to have a bit of tinnitus and its paxman to blame .

Keep up the good work

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the progress on the platform. Plenty of mistakes but that's the only way I'm going to learn.....and if I'm honest, that's the whole reason I'm building this layout. 

post-18825-0-89634100-1466504541_thumb.jpg

Again based on something similar, but not exactly like Castle Cary. The middle will be filled in with Tarmac (modelled, not literally  :O ).

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 8

Here's the progress on the platform. Plenty of mistakes but that's the only way I'm going to learn.....and if I'm honest, that's the whole reason I'm building this layout. 

attachicon.gifPlatform Top.jpg

Again based on something similar, but not exactly like Castle Cary. The middle will be filled in with Tarmac (modelled, not literally  :O ).

Am well impressed with your start to the platform tops pal keep the photos coming .

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys. This is what I'm trying to replicate minus the modelling skills to achieve it!

post-18825-0-33971800-1466507965_thumb.jpg

I've actually done my self quite a few favours by not trying to model the real thing because I can get away with a lot more 'modeller's license'. What I'm more impressed with (unless you know what you're looking for) is that the track doesn't look like HO/OO Peco track and has made it worth the two hours or so that it takes to lay 3 foot of the stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nearly there with the weathering. Just need some dirt between the ballast and the platform, along with some damp patches and moss!

post-18825-0-15934900-1466803233_thumb.jpg

Too say I'm really pleased would be an understatement because this is my first real attempt at modelling properly. 

Best crack on with the other platform........

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I managed to make a start on the other platform at the weekend and it's now beginning to look like a station.

post-18825-0-22467100-1467026636_thumb.jpg

Still a long way to go but it's starting to take shape..

post-18825-0-08963900-1467026678_thumb.jpg

Finally got round to adding the virtual quarry sidings too - don't worry about the strange sleeper colour, I'm trying to model something I've seen at Castle Cary where they've used some really odd grey wooden sleepers for a recently relaid piece of track!

post-18825-0-90934100-1467026830_thumb.jpg

The next task is to put boards 1 and 2 together and realign the down line as there's a nasty kink in the curve that's playing on my OCD!!!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

So, as previously mentioned, whilst at Castle Cary, I saw this.....

post-18825-0-14873100-1467123699_thumb.jpg

...and decided I'd have a go at making the Virtual Quarry sidings look similar....

post-18825-0-62006700-1467123744_thumb.jpg

I can't quite get the rail colour right  but maybe I'm being too fussy?

At least I had the common sense to paint the sleepers first BEFORE ballasting, unlike my first effort to recreate this....

post-18825-0-88767900-1467124024_thumb.jpg

.....which, after much huffing, puffing and swearing....finally ended up like this

post-18825-0-50213900-1467124253_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the poor pictures but I'm using my phone!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Not much to show picture wise but I've started fitting some of the DDC Concepts Cobalt Digital Point Motors. These things are so simple to wire up and have kept the layout wiring to a bare minimum. There is however.....one down side...................

........... THEY'RE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOISY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having been used to the relatively quiet micro servos with Dave Fenton's Mega Points system, these are a flippin' nightmare and I'm not sure that the ease of installation outweighs the awful noise. The cost is about the same - I can buy a board from Dave for £50, some servos from Hobby King for less than £1.60 each and by the time I've added micro switches for the frog polarity, piano wire and control switches etc, it all comes in under £90 including postage for 8 points. Ok, it's not DCC but for £25 you can buy a DCC address board (and you need a power supply) and the price came it at £128 for 8 Cobalts (I got them very cheap). 

I guess it's horses for courses and some people would be happy with something that could be up and running in about 5 minutes per motor....personally, having installed both systems, I'd go back to the Mega Points system in a flash (I'm not knocking DDC Concepts in any way as it works straight away with no issues) purely for the reduction in noise.

This morning I ordered some new style 3 aspect searchlight signals from Paul at CR - he's actually making them identical to the down mainline signal at Castle Cary which he's doing at no extra cost (Top Man) and once they turn up I can fit them and work out the best way to control them.

Away from the wiring, I'm still trying to get some better info on the location cases used in the somerset area so that I can at least have something that looks right for the region. I've realised that the medium ballast I've used is actually too big (the fine stuff is way too small) but I'm loathed to try and remove it and start again......although watch this space, I have a habit of doing everything TWICE  :O

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

After removing the existing ballast and relaying it with some Iguana Sand (that was also too big  :ireful:) I invested in a cheap mini sieve and finally got some ballast that's almost to scale (this is just laid lose to check on size) .....

post-18825-0-84617700-1468403102_thumb.jpg

Now I'll have to do this all over again because the paint got removed when I had to wet the ballast to get it up!

post-18825-0-09491500-1468403280_thumb.jpg

I reckon I'd have finished the layout by now if I actually knew what I was doing   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Here's a few more pictures of the progress made so far. The signals didn't turn up quite as I expected and in hindsight, I should've just asked for a bare signal and fitted the ladder, and safety cage (I made my own as Paul's weren't right for this particular location) myself......although after 4 hours of Tourettes and fuzzy eyes, I'm relatively pleased with the outcome as again, this is something I've never done before!

post-18825-0-87652300-1468859324_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-26701500-1468859341.jpg

post-18825-0-20363300-1468859407_thumb.jpg

I need to get some decent palisade fencing but I'm not sure what route to go down. I bought some of the Knightwing stuff but I'm not that happy with it - maybe I'll speak to Pete (Harvey) and get some of his etched stuff but I'll be looking at the wrong side of £40 for the amount I'll need! :scratchhead: 

Oh well, best crack on....... 

• Like 11

Hi

Just come across your thread....

It is looking really good & I like your description s of how you do things & where you get stuff from.....

I think you underestimate how good a modeller you are....

Will follow with interest

Cheers Bill