If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me please?

I am wanting to buy a few models of the soon to be released Bachmann Freightliner 66416 to renumber. I am wanting to renumber some to 66/5 running numbers. Does anyone know if any 66/5 locos in reality have the same light clusters as the 66416 loco in reality and model does?

If so please could you list the Freightliner 66/5 locos in reality that have the same light clusters as the 66416 loco and model?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

I'm assuming the Bachmann model comes with the right features for the phase, but no. There are no 66/5 with the same details as 66416.

66538-66581 have those lights, but those are not "five door" machines.

66582+ are five door, but have newer lighting units.

Closest (but not exact) matches in the Freightliner fleet would be the five door prototypes 66951/952, but neither of them wears the Powerhaul scheme to my knowledge?

• RMweb Premium

I'm assuming the Bachmann model comes with the right features for the phase, but no. There are no 66/5 with the same details as 66416.

Closest (but not exact) matches in the Freightliner fleet would be the five door prototypes 66951/952, but neither of them wears the Powerhaul scheme to my knowledge?

Thank you very much for the reply and the information. It's very much appreciated.

In that case then I might have to settle with the 66538-66581 locos. I know that these won't be completely correct and prototypical due to the four and five door differentiations. I might also have one as 66951 as I have 66952 already in the original Freightliner livery.

The 538-581 batch does offer a lot of scope for heavy haul 66/5 examples. 544-555 are all heavy haul as well as 557 and 559-565. It's a shame that a 66528 model with the other light clusters hasn't been announced this year for release this year or next year. Hopefully soon though.

Thank you very much for the information.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

i don't think its a straight forward job to renumber to another 66/4 either

66416 is unique in having small logos on both sides

66414 has a larger one on the non 5th door side

66418 and 66420 also have the larger logo and the added G&W strapline under the FL logo 

• RMweb Premium

i don't think its a straight forward job to renumber to another 66/4 either

66416 is unique in having small logos on both sides

66414 has a larger one on the non 5th door side

66418 and 66420 also have the larger logo and the added G&W strapline under the FL logo 

Thank you very much for the reply and the information. It's very much appreciated.

Yes their are differences even between the 66/4s. Freightliner do seem to be making it difficult for the people who like to renumber locos. I don't think I'm going to take that into consideration. If I did then the only Powerhaul 66 I could have is 416 which is the standard model been released as 414, 418 and 420 all have differences even though they have the same light clusters as 416. 504 has different light clusters as does 528 which are both also in the Powerhaul livery in reality. Then no other 66/5s have had the Powerhaul livery applied yet.

There's also the difference of four and five door 66s to add to the mix.

I'm just probably going to opt for the standard approach and make all of them the same as 416 but with different numbers.

Thank you very much for all of the help.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

Yes their are differences even between the 66/4s. Freightliner do seem to be making it difficult for the people who like to renumber locos. I don't think I'm going to take that into consideration. If I did then the only Powerhaul 66 I could have is 416 which is the standard model been released as 414, 418 and 420 all have differences even though they have the same light clusters as 416. 504 has different light clusters as does 528 which are both also in the Powerhaul livery in reality. Then no other 66/5s have had the Powerhaul livery applied yet.

There's also the difference of four and five door 66s to add to the mix.

I'm just probably going to opt for the standard approach and make all of them the same as 416 but with different numbers.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

Also remember at the moment there are no 66/5 with the circle clusters, as per 66416, in Powerhaul livery

regards,

darryl

• RMweb Premium

Also remember at the moment there are no 66/5 with the circle clusters, as per 66416, in Powerhaul livery

regards,

Darryl

The above post suggests that 538-581 have the circular light clusters that 66416 has.

The above post suggests that 538-581 have the circular light clusters that 66416 has.

That is true, 66538-66572, 66610, 66613-66622 all have the circular light clusters that 66416 have, but all are in standard Frieghtliner livery and only have 4 doors.

66573-577 are now with Colas as 66846-850

66578-581 are with GBRf as 66738-741

only the following 66's are in powerhaul livery:

66411 (in Poland)

66412 (in Poland)

66417 (in Poland)

66504 (oringal cluster style with black surround, and only 4 doors)

66528 (oringal cluster style with black surround, and only 4 doors)

regards,

Darryl

• RMweb Premium

That is true, 66538-66572, 66610, 66613-66622 all have the circular light clusters that 66416 have, but all are in standard Frieghtliner livery and only have 4 doors.

66573-577 are now with Colas as 66846-850

66578-581 are with GBRf as 66738-741

only the following 66's are in powerhaul livery:

66411 (in Poland)

66412 (in Poland)

66417 (in Poland)

66504 (oringal cluster style with black surround, and only 4 doors)

66528 (oringal cluster style with black surround, and only 4 doors)

regards,

Darryl

That's fantastic because it means their are plenty of options of 66/5s and 66/6s with 416s light clusters that can be renumbered. I know they don't wear Powerhaul livery as yet and don't have five doors alike the 416 model but without making exceptions the only model you could have is 416 which is the standard model due to doors, branding, livery, light clusters etc.

It's not as if all of the above could be replicated because the light clusters on the 416 model and the doors couldn't be changed. Whereas the livery, branding and running number can be to create different locos.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

That's fantastic because it means their are plenty of options of 66/5s and 66/6s with 416s light clusters that can be renumbered. I know they don't wear Powerhaul livery as yet and don't have five doors alike the 416 model but without making exceptions the only model you could have is 416 which is the standard model due to doors, branding, livery, light clusters etc.

It's not as if all of the above could be replicated because the light clusters on the 416 model and the doors couldn't be changed. Whereas the livery, branding and running number can be to create different locos.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

No problem at all,

you could have a 66416, 66418 and 66420 as they are all the same cluster type and 5 door as per 66416. When 66/5 or 66/6 with the circular light clutsers gets painted into powerhaulm you could swap the body of 66416 onto another Freightliner chassis (i.e. Bachmann model 66546) with the larger fuel tank and run it one sided only so you never see the 5th door :-)

regards,

darryl

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the reply and the information. It's very much appreciated.

Yes that is definitely an option. I think I'm just going to try and opt for the above 66/5s and 66/6s that have the same light clusters as 416 and regarding the doors I am going to put the side with the fifth door so I can't see it on the layout. Therefore for all anyone knows it's got four haha.

Considering that 416 hasn't been released yet and a 66/5 in Powerhaul with the original light clusters that 504 and 528 have hasn't been announced yet we could be waiting a while for them.

I think I'm going to opt for one to remain as 416 and have another Powerhaul 66/4. Either 414, 418 or 420. Then some additional models to become 66/5s and/or 66/6s. It depends how many I can afford but certainly hoping for a few. The Powerhaul livery suits the 66s I think.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

No problem at all,

you could have a 66416, 66418 and 66420 as they are all the same cluster type and 5 door as per 66416. When 66/5 or 66/6 with the circular light clutsers gets painted into powerhaulm you could swap the body of 66416 onto another Freightliner chassis (i.e. Bachmann model 66546) with the larger fuel tank and run it one sided only so you never see the 5th door :-)

regards,

darryl

414, 418 and 420 are not the same as 416 straight out of the box as per my post above

they would need work doing to make them out of 416

• RMweb Premium

414, 418 and 420 are not the same as 416 straight out of the box as per my post above

they would need work doing to make them out of 416

Thank you for the reply and the information. It's very much appreciated.

I think this post was in relation to the light clusters rather than the size of the Freightliner branding and the G&W Company branding. To save the difficulty of finding prototypical photos of each invividual Powerhaul 66 and trying to replicate each individual loco I think I'm just going to settle for 416 out of the box renumbered although this would be slightly incorrect.

I might not even consider the different lighting clusters. I have always wanted a model of 66528 because I have seen it so many times and a few times since it's repaint into Powerhaul livery. It does look very smart but with Bachmann not making an announcement for this type of light cluster yet as 504 or 528, I have a feeling it will be a good couple of years before one is released and available to buy.

My thinking at the moment is to have two 66/4s in Powerhaul livery. Two out of the four. So this means 414, 416, 418 and 420 are all the current options for UK based locos. 413, 415 and 419 will also soon be options no doubt because their repaints can't be far away now. Then I'm thinking three/four others out of the 66/5 and/or 66/6 fleet.

The trouble is the market has been deprived of Freightliner 66s recently which means that now one is going to be available soon I want to buy a few to have a fleet. I think the last one released was 66546 with DCC Sound a few years ago.

Regarding the fifth door on the 66s that don't have the fifth door, I'm just going to put that side so I can't see it on the layout. I have the option of opting for locos with the correct/same light clusters as 416 or different. Regarding the different sized Freightliner branding and G&W Company branding I'm just going to leave this for the time been. It could be something to consider at a later stage or I might just leave them as the standard 416.

I think only 418 and 420 carry the G&W company branding so if I didn't have either of those and opted for 414 and 416 as my two 66/4s then that would be correct.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the fifth door on the 66s that don't have the fifth door, I'm just going to put that side so I can't see it on the layout. I have the option of opting for locos with the correct/same light clusters as 416 or different.

The five door 66s are very distinctive apart from just the extra door. Most obvious differences are that they have shorter fuel tanks and a noticeably longer radiator grille on the roof.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The five door 66s are very distinctive apart from just the extra door. Most obvious differences are that they have shorter fuel tanks and a noticeably longer radiator grille on the roof.

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you for the replies and the information it's very much appreciated.

The only issue at the moment is their is only one heavy haul example namely 66528. I just want to have more heavy haul examples than intermodal ones. To replicate this according to reality at the moment it isn't possible. So I'm going to have to be slightly fictitious with the Powerhaul livery and running numbers.  The differences that 416 has compared to 66/5 and 66/6 examples I will just have to ignore. I'm sure more Powerhaul examples especially those with the different light clusters (504 and 528) so far will be produced soon although probably not going to be available for the next couple of years seen as it hasn't been announced yet.

It's just a shame that 413, 415 or 419 haven't been repainted into Powerhaul livery as yet because their heavy haul examples.

Thanks again for the info.

4 or 5 door? Wasn't aware of this and I'd be grateful for an explanation.

Over the 18 years of the build there have been a lot of variations, the "five door" design has probably been the biggest single change, though headlights are another obvious one to the casual observer.

As emissions regulations have gradually tightened over the years GM needed to get lower emissions from effectively the same platform. A larger cooler group solved that, but resulted in more weight and the loss of a passageway down one side of the cooler group. To keep the engine room accessible a new door was added on one side of the body and a smaller fuel tank (slightly offset) compensates for the weight increase. (From memory those aren't the only differences, but they are the easiest to spot!)

Freightliner's 66951/952 were the prototype "Five door Freds" and the five door design later became standard.

GBRF's 66731 (shot at Doncaster, Sep 2015) shows off the bigger cooler group, additional side door and the steps in empty space accentuate the gap caused by the smaller fuel tank:

66731_Doncaster_19092015%20%288%29_GBRF-

Compare with earlier build 66713 (at Felixstowe, Dec 08)

66713_Felixstowe_301208a-L.jpg

Archived