Nice work on the brake van, never seen one of them before. Yours looks in somewhat better condition than the ones PB photographed.

Like the new track work too, looks like it'll add quite a bit of operational flexibility (grown up's code for fun playing trains!)

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

Have you ever considered thinning and shortening the point sleepers around the tiebars, where the peco motor would attach to? You've removed the pips, but not gone further to disguise the point origins.

Hi Stu, I have thought about it yes, but not having done any of the others on the layout decided not to persue it, but yes a pet hate of mine too is the big pips on the end of tie bars. Something for future layouts possibly, although I'd probably be more likely to use the new Bullhead range to be honest, or build my own.

• Like 1

Very nice Martyn

Regards Lez.Z.

Nice work on the brake van, never seen one of them before. Yours looks in somewhat better condition than the ones PB photographed.

Like the new teamwork too, looks like it'll add quite a bit of operational flexibility (grown up's code for fun playing trains!)

Thanks for the comments gents. Yes the modified arrangement will allow more flexibility and give additional moves so it is a worthwhile exercise. I do like changing things around as time goes by as I find it helps in maintaining interest as well as the practical benefits it brings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new track and ballast has now been blended into the surrounding area. A representation of Point rodding has been added where required too, just a few more small details to sort (such as re-instating the rest of the foot crossing, re-fitting the road bridge etc) before moving to joining up the droppers under the baseboard and wiring the extra point motor on the slip to the control panel.

post-28743-0-26201900-1529777965_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-04874700-1529778018_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-34664300-1529778316_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-47712100-1529778595_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Looks like it has always been there.

Nice work on the new trackwork Martyn. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks gents,

If the changes are not obvious then I'm happy. I feel the flow of the trackwork has been maintained which was of equal importance to blending into the existing trackwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martyn - Missed the last few posts due to the holidays - the new track is looking great.  Quick question - what do you use for your stonework on the road bridge etc, I am looking to try and move away from brick paper for future projects and this looks like the sort of stuff I would like to use.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Martyn - Missed the last few posts due to the holidays - the new track is looking great. Quick question - what do you use for your stonework on the road bridge etc, I am looking to try and move away from brick paper for future projects and this looks like the sort of stuff I would like to use.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, the stonework is Slaters Plastikard ref no. 0415 7mm dressed stone which is good for representing large stone construction such as bridge abutments, quayside walling etc in 4mm scale - I have also used their 0411 7mm Cotswold Stone which is similar. The 3d effect is a lot better than the same named sheets for the smaller scales which have less relief. I used contact adhesive to fix it to card or wood formers.

Being vacuum formed from thin plastic (about 5-10thou I think) its easier to cut than Wills stone sheets too.

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/embossed.php

Hope this helps.

Martyn.

Hi Jim, the stonework is Slaters Plastikard ref no. 0415 7mm dressed stone which is good for representing large stone construction such as bridge abutments, quayside walling etc in 4mm scale - I have also used their 0411 7mm Cotswold Stone which is similar. The 3d effect is a lot better than the same named sheets for the smaller scales which have less relief. I used contact adhesive to fix it to card or wood formers.

Being vacuum formed from thin plastic (about 5-10thou I think) its easier to cut than Wills stone sheets too.

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/embossed.php

Hope this helps.

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn - perfect!

Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that "Crinan" will be one of the exhibits at Railex NE in Newcastle next weekend (28 & 29 July).

Have a good show, as you know I will be exhibiting a bit closer to home!

• Like 1

Having completed the wiring alterations made necessary by the track layout modifications, I'm happy to say all works as intended. My latest acquisition/renovation, a cheap Hornby class 08, was used for testing. It runs very nicely following judicious wheel cleaning but I discovered it doesn't like my platforms due to the coupling rods fouling the edging, which caused the quartering of the rear driven axle to throw a wobbly.....all is well now though thankfully!

The road bridge has been refitted and a few scenic bits re-visited, notably the bridge approach embankment; despite having been treated with static grass it looked too plain, so some Polak wild grass foliage matting was applied, which has a nicer wild unkempt look to it.

post-28743-0-72287500-1532440127_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-65045700-1532440161_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-60461300-1532440193_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-04500400-1532440240_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-50873600-1532440296_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Martyn

I like the look of that Polak grass. I notice that they do pink wild bushes that, to me anyway, look a lot like heather. I'm not sure if they might be a bit too tall for heather but I might try some on Strachur when I finally start building it!

All the best

Max

• Agree 1

Hi Martyn

I like the look of that Polak grass. I notice that they do pink wild bushes that, to me anyway, look a lot like heather. I'm not sure if they might be a bit too tall for heather but I might try some on Strachur when I finally start building it!

All the best

Max

Hi Max,

Yes Polak seem to make some good grass with an uneven texture, the one I used was "yellow flowers", though the "flowers" are not overwhelming and do come lose fairly easily during handling, teasing out etc.

Not cheap but for small areas I think its hard to beat.