Bristol Energy Reclamation Site

post-7071-0-51014800-1462801891_thumb.jpg

Two 66 locos, no other stock in sight, on the new tracks between the Severn Beach branch behind and the loop at the Energy Reclamation Site, off to the left on the other side of the road.

Taken 09/05/2016.

Gordon A

I went into the site with my job a couple of weeks ago, and the track all looked pretty good. Only two parallel sidings in the site though, however they have left remnants of some of the original trackwork in the bushes. Good to see that the rail connection is going to be reused.

What exactly is an "energy reclamation site"? Is that where food waste goes for digesting and extracting the methane for power? Or is it biomass power?

It's mainly an incinerator, I believe; I'm not sure if there's some sort of gasification or pyrolysis of the waste involved. Not strictly 'biomass', as most of the flammable material will be plastic and so on. There might be some sort of digester for food waste on the site as well.

Back in the 1970s, Avonmouth had a digester plant that used the local sewage; the gas produced was then burnt in the adjacent incinerator. There was a bit of a problem, in that the digester was in a building with a lot of glass, and had a glass top to the 'reactor'; every so often, it would have to be cleared of the hordes of tomato plants that germinated within.

• RMweb Premium

I see, it's a posh new name for a waste to power plant. Basically a waste incinerator where the heat is used to make electricity in the usual way. So I guess a few trains a week will be arriving with containerised waste, like the binliner trains.

It's mainly an incinerator, I believe; I'm not sure if there's some sort of gasification or pyrolysis of the waste involved. Not strictly 'biomass', as most of the flammable material will be plastic and so on. There might be some sort of digester for food waste on the site as well.

Back in the 1970s, Avonmouth had a digester plant that used the local sewage; the gas produced was then burnt in the adjacent incinerator. There was a bit of a problem, in that the digester was in a building with a lot of glass, and had a glass top to the 'reactor'; every so often, it would have to be cleared of the hordes of tomato plants that germinated within.

I believe that Avonmouth sewage works still has a big problem with tomato plants in the outdoor tanks. Most tomato seeds will pass through humans unharmed and suddenly find themselves in a very nutrient-rich growing medium.

I believe the Severnside plant is about ready to come online - sometime May or June. The WTT paths have been in the system for ages, but, of course, always get cancelled

However, on Monday a rake of open hoppers was taken from SITA to Acton - I presume a test run of some sort. I missed it by about 15 mins, but a picture is available here

http://www.hondawanderer.com/66089_Compton_Beauchamp_2016.htm

I hope the real revenue earning trains are containers  :O - might pong a bit otherwise !!

I believe the Severnside plant is about ready to come online - sometime May or June. The WTT paths have been in the system for ages, but, of course, always get cancelled

However, on Monday a rake of open hoppers was taken from SITA to Acton - I presume a test run of some sort. I missed it by about 15 mins, but a picture is available here

I hope the real revenue earning trains are containers  :O - might pong a bit otherwise !!

The hoppers would be have been used as they can run under Class 4 timings when empty, and because there's no other work for them at present. I wonder whose fleet of container wagons SITA will be using- if they're running a daily 20-flat train, they'll need at least 45 wagons, allowing five for maintenance cover.

No problem with that. They would just be creating the GWML version of the Ashburton Grove Pullman. :)

• RMweb Premium

I hope the real revenue earning trains are containers :O - might pong a bit otherwise !!

This wagon move was nothing to do with new flow. It was a set of wagons that were en route to be loaded elsewhere with stone but had to be diverted into Avonmouth to terminate short due the customer cancelling a service at very short notice. The 6A03 path was used to get the wagons back to the London area for their next working.

This wagon move was nothing to do with new flow. It was a set of wagons that were en route to be loaded elsewhere with stone but had to be diverted into Avonmouth to terminate short due the customer cancelling a service at very short notice. The 6A03 path was used to get the wagons back to the London area for their next working.

Thanks - useful to know

As to the question of what wagons will be used for the new flow - where are the ex Avon Binliner flats ? I have a shot of them being moved back in 2011 from Southampton - Cricklewood, but have no idea what happened to them after that

5673596032_caf23ceb30_b.jpgAvon Binliner RIP by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

Archived