Bodmin Road nameboard. What was behind the sliding panel?

• RMweb Premium

10419625864_b276b42634_z.jpgA Class 25 enters Bodmin Road with clay hoods from Moorswater, April 1976 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

My photograph from 1976 shows the nameboard at Bodmin Road reading "Change for Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow", and below that there is what looks like a sliding panel that could conceal or reveal some additional information as required.

Does anyone know what lay behind the panel?

And considering that the board make no mention that the destinations are to be reached by bus, did this nameboard date from before January 1967 when the passenger service to Padstow ceased? It's perfectly possible, of course, but I wonder if 1966 was a bit early for the chocolate and cream signage at a relatively minor station to be replaced.

And while I'm here asking questions: is it safe to assume that the hoods are heading for Fowey, or could they be being tripped to St Blazey for adding to a long-distance train?

And is anyone able to identify the locomotive?

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 4

Lovely photo Andy, absolutley ticketyboo!

Can't help with the date for the changeover of the signage but my guess is the 25 has brought those hoods down from Liskeard, chances are it's made up of two trips from the Moorswater Dries as the load up the bank from Coombe Jcn was quite restrictive, more than likely bound for BZ for later onward movement. Off the top of my head, the loco could be 25 155 / 206 / 207 which were regulars working off BZ, there were other 'three window' 25s based at LA / BZ back then but don't recall all the numbers. Will have to compare the headcode blinds with some other photos of the period...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have no definitive answers, only possibilities. The sliding panels could refer Lanhydrock house, only used when it was open, or indeed for bus services only when they were available, in the summer season perhaps. I think it unlikey that the sign would have predated the closure to passenger services in Jan 1967 which must have been known for some time beforehand.

I have a 1970 WTT but it doesn't show any of the trip workings unfortunately. I think the Potteries working was ball clay but Moorswater produced dried clay?

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photo Andy, absolutley ticketyboo!

Can't help with the date for the changeover of the signage but my guess is the 25 has brought those hoods down from Liskeard, chances are it's made up of two trips from the Moorswater Dries as the load up the bank from Coombe Jcn was quite restrictive, more than likely bound for BZ for later onward movement. Off the top of my head, the loco could be 25 155 / 206 / 207 which were regulars working off BZ, there were other 'three window' 25s based at LA / BZ back then but don't recall all the numbers. Will have to compare the headcode blinds with some other photos of the period...

I think 22 was the load limit out of Moorswater, the length of this train.

I have 25169/170, 215/16/17 as Laira allocated '3 windows' in this period, all VO. 25155 had come and gone by 1976. ID is going to be difficult I would think......though I've just noticed the drivers side has a non-standard wiper and no 'blue star' MW codes.....

Edited by stovepipe

I have no definitive answers, only possibilities. The sliding panels could refer Lanhydrock house, only used when it was open, or indeed for bus services only when they were available, in the summer season perhaps. I think it unlikey that the sign would have predated the closure to passenger services in Jan 1967 which must have been known for some time beforehand.

I have a 1970 WTT but it doesn't show any of the trip workings unfortunately. I think the Potteries working was ball clay but Moorswater produced dried clay?

The Potteries traffic included both ball clay and china clay ;the former used for the manufacture of 'ware', and sourced from Devon and Dorset, and the latter used mainly for glazes. My recollection of seeing the wagons used, almost always 13t opens with 'flat', not ridged, sheets, was that ball clay was sourced from Furzebrook (Dorset), Torrington and Heathfield, whilst the china clay came from further west. Different potbanks used different grades of material, dried to differing degrees.

I think 22 was the load limit out of Moorswater, the length of this train.

I have 25169/170, 215/16/17 as Laira allocated '3 windows' in this period, all VO. 25155 had come and gone by 1976. ID is going to be difficult I would think......though I've just noticed the drivers side has a non-standard wiper.....

There's always the possibility it could be a non WR allocated 25 too, from time to time invaders from the LMR would find their way down west and ended up being borrowed for a while before heading back up country. Been looking through some books / photos and haven't found any showing that reporting number so far.

• RMweb Premium

Yes Lanhydrock is a good suggestion.

The Cornwall Railway Society site has a picture on this page http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/lostwithiel-exc-to-sr-germans.html dated 1968 and showing a part of a brown-and-cream sign so, as you say, the corporate image signage does date from after the Padstow branch closed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's always the possibility it could be a non WR allocated 25 too, from time to time invaders from the LMR would find their way down west and ended up being borrowed for a while before heading back up country. Been looking through some books / photos and haven't found any showing that reporting number so far.

Yes indeed, and Cardiff and Bristol had allocations at the time too. Of the local fleet 25216 it's not as that had a body side number.

• RMweb Gold

At one time the signs at Bodmin Parkway definitely said something along the lines of 'Alight here for Lanhydrock House'

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Lanhydrock is a good suggestion.

The Cornwall Railway Society site has a picture on this page http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/lostwithiel-exc-to-sr-germans.html dated 1968 and showing a part of a brown-and-cream sign so, as you say, the corporate image signage does date from after the Padstow branch closed.

A 1970 shot of the sign still with the covered over section...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mollyschase/23895122911/

I don't think that the clay wagons regularly loaded to anywhere other than Fowey once the hoods had been fiitted.

Therefore unless, in the unlikely event, it is a rake of empties or cripples, then I would expect it is loaded clay for export via Fowey,

and will either go direct to Fowey, or perhaps be recessed at either Lostwithiel, or St Blazey waiting onward movement.

As regards the origin of the clay, that might be more difficult. Moorswater is a definite possibility, as is Marsh Mills.

Less likely might be Heathfield, the clayhoods used for ball clay were kept separate to avoid contamination,

Marland or Meeth is also an outside possibility, but much less likely.  

Is the headcode trying to show 6B78?

The Local Trip booklet w-e-f 7th July 1975 u.f.n. shows Trip 9 used the headcode -B78, but its booked work was in the Truro, Drump Lane

St Erth., Ponsandane area, and not on clay, though obviously trips could be changed on a daily basis as required,

cheers

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that the clay wagons regularly loaded to anywhere other than Fowey once the hoods had been fiitted.

Therefore unless, in the unlikely event, it is a rake of empties or cripples, then I would expect it is loaded clay for export via Fowey,

and will either go direct to Fowey, or perhaps be recessed at either Lostwithiel, or St Blazey waiting onward movement.

As regards the origin of the clay, that might be more difficult. Moorswater is a definite possibility, as is Marsh Mills.

Less likely might be Heathfield, the clayhoods used for ball clay were kept separate to avoid contamination,

The Local Trip booklet w-e-f 7th July 1975 u.f.n. shows Trip 9 used the headcode -B78, but its booked work was in the Truro, Drump Lane

St Erth., Ponsandane area, and not on clay, though obviously trips could be changed on a daily basis as required,

cheers

Thanks Kevin.

There's no mystery about where the train was coming from as I'd previously photographed it coming off the branch at Liskeard.

10419782626_d3e87d28b5_z.jpgA train of clay hoods from Moorswater arrives at Liskeard, April 1976 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 7

Does anyone know what the completed title of the business on the corrugated metal building? ...ERS LIMITED

Cornwall Farmers, perhaps

/www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Liskeard,+Cornwall/@50.4465427,-4.4680993,3a,80.7y,87.62h,88.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sNQQmThF76mKJIjr6EICbgg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DNQQmThF76mKJIjr6EICbgg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D175.67567%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x486b629613dd369b:0xa99bbeb9feaeb9fa!8m2!3d50.45552!4d-4.464719!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin.

There's no mystery about where the train was coming from as I'd previously photographed it coming off the branch at Liskeard.

A train of clay hoods from Moorswater arrives at Liskeard, April 1976 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Another shot showing some more of the infrastructure here. Not sure what the presflo was needed for?

24283916092_4d34a85050_b.jpg25-155-clay-Liskeard-15-08-1977 by Mike Hemming, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 5

The sign at Bodmin Road?

"Change here for The Lost Land of Lyonesse" probably.

Liskaerd connection: was it, or is it, signalled/permitted for passenger trains? I've always assumed not, but confirmation or denial would be interesting.

Kevin

Another shot showing some more of the infrastructure here. Not sure what the presflo was needed for?

24283916092_4d34a85050_b.jpg25-155-clay-Liskeard-15-08-1977 by Mike Hemming, on Flickr

Slate powder traffic originating from Delabole, and forwarded to Liskeard by road, perhaps? This had originally been loaded on to rail at Wadebridge, I believe, being carried in various types of wagon, including Presflos and Covhops.

• RMweb Gold

The sign at Bodmin Road?

"Change here for The Lost Land of Lyonesse" probably.

Liskaerd connection: was it, or is it, signalled/permitted for passenger trains? I've always assumed not, but confirmation or denial would be interesting.

Kevin

It isn't Kevin - the movement into the yard (or what little is left of it) is controlled only by shunting discs from the Main running and the signal out is a short arm signal I believe.  The original connection was trailing only into the Down Main so was even more awkward for a potential passenger train move.  Even back in the days when Liskeard Branch Signalbox still existed the connecting line between it and the Main Line 'box was worked as a siding (presumably under the control of the Shunter).

However in either case it could be done under the authority of a special Notice but I suspect the curvature would not take too kindly to a loaded passenger train, and vice versa.

• Like 1

At one time the signs at Bodmin Parkway definitely said something along the lines of 'Alight here for Lanhydrock House'

I think you're right, Mike. And the fact that it was removable would make sense too, as the bus to Lanhydrock would presumably be/have been seasonal, whereas most other bus services to Wadebridge, Bodmin, etc. would run all year round.

Edited by Waverley West

cheers

Regarding the '6-78' headcode, with the April '76 date of Andy's photo in mind it's probably a left over from the last time it worked the same trip before the blinds were officially abandoned on 1st January '76, although it is possible that one of the crew was having a laugh, knowing that it wasn't required to be shown at the time of the photo. Besides that, Cornish crews were notorious for showing the wrong headcode or just not bothering to change it from the previous working, something which I'm sure Roger Geach will confirm!

Seems odd that they omitted details of post office opening times, and where to find the nearest six tea-shops, from the modern version of the sign.

Seriously though: a rare example of a truly informative station sign!

And, thanks Stationmaster. Having once been hoofed out of an early-morning Plymouth to Looe train, and told to cross over and get back on when it had shunted into the branch platform, I thought that was the case. Another time, I was permitted to stay aboard, because I was using a "priv" ticket, and provided with a mug of tea to drink during the shunting!

Kevin

• Like 2

The "Class 118 Farewell" railtour in 1986 traversed the Looe branch to Moorswater:   At Liskeard we were all asked to get off whilst the DMUs worked empty through the yard.

I wonder if the reason has something to do with curvature and gangways (as well as it's signalling status as a siding).

If there is a sudden transition from straight to curved (and AFAIK the connection has a reverse curve) then the gangways may move transversely in a manner you would not want if you were between vehicles!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have discovered the answer by posting a query on the Cornwall Railway Society website.

The hidden words were "and Newquay". Apparently some branch trains were extended to Bodmin Road and made the connection there so that the main line train didn't need to stop at Par.

• Informative/Useful 2