RMweb

Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon,

Yes Paul Chetter that was the name I was trying to think of!  Very impressed with it.

Peter:

Thanks for your kind comments.  Im pleased with how its coming along.  Thanks for the recommendation of Narrow Planet and Severn Mill - those look nice.  Im thinking that the plate should be an old style one, perhaps a touch of GWR letter style perhaps?  Might have a word with Chris at Severn Mill.

Cheers

Rich

I don`t know if i can cope with these 'kettle type loco' interludes......... :O

But i  have to admit though,the Peckett is a nice loco.And i did have one for a while,(till it was brought by Father Dougal of this parish) along with another little 0-4-0, which i still have,but that`s in bit`s at the moment pending some serious re-build work!.

Am i right in assuming that the 58 is a PRMRP kit?.Which by the way look`s very nice!.

Brian.

Edited by Tove

• RMweb Gold

I don`t know if i can cope with these 'kettle type loco' interludes......... :O

But i  have to admit though,the Peckett is a nice loco.And i did have one for a while,(till it was brought by Father Dougal of this parish) along with another little 0-4-0, which i still have,but that`s in bit`s at the moment pending some serious re-build work!.

Am i right in assuming that the 58 is a PRMRP kit?.Which by the way look`s very nice!.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Hehe - well I did keep it short and sweet with the kettle to avoid people getting too warm  :onthequiet:

Yes I believe the 58 is a PRMRP - or one of the earlier owners of said firm.  I acquired it from the Bring & Buy stand at Guildex a couple of weeks back, superb model. Its lacking some details, such as air pipes on each end, and there's no interior cab at all - but both should be rectifiable.  It runs nicely, and given I'm no brass builder, was just too nice a model to let go!  The price was also attractive!  Its got Delrin chain drive on one end, but feels like it would pull the house down!  Should be a suitable candidate for the Dapol HAAs when they arrive!

Don't think I posted this picture the other night.  The paint job on it is superb too - don't know who built it, but they did well ... would have been better as 58020 Doncaster Works  :locomotive:  but you can't have everything, and it could always be renamed/numbered in the future!

Rich

IMG_4153.jpg

• Like 10

I acquired it from the Bring & Buy stand at Guildex a couple of weeks back, was just too nice a model to let go!  The price was also attractive!

Rich

Talk about rubbing it in...!!  :cry:

You must have been a the front of the que..? as i never saw it on the B&B stand,and i think i was in within 10 mins of them letting the advanced tickets holders in...!!

Oh well,good on ya Rich.. :good:

Keep it coming,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Talk about rubbing it in...!!  :cry:

You must have been a the front of the que..? as i never saw it on the B&B stand,and i think i was in within 10 mins of them letting the advanced tickets holders in...!!

Hehe, just good timing I think. It was about 1020 when I got through the door, although I did head straight for that stand!

Should be a photo update on Friday, I'm told my 25 is allocated to the overnight Blackpool to Marsh Lane parcels tomorrow night!!! Shame I'm not around to unpack it on Thursday! Last of my buying spree! All down to layout building now!

Rich

• Like 2

I don`t know if i can cope with these 'kettle type loco' interludes

Hi Brian,

Hehe - well I did keep it short and sweet with the kettle to avoid people getting too warm  :onthequiet:

Phew... thankgoodness for that!!  I was beginning to think you'd gone all 'steamy' on us!!!!

Mind you..... that diesel is the wrong era colour!!!!  Sorry, I should learn to be more open minded :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Its ok Lee, honestly!  No need to reach for the pills yet!

Its at the outer edges of the modelling period for Marsh Lane (to everyone else, don't let on about the 60s earlier in this thread .... Lee will need a double dose of the medicine tonight  :onthequiet: ) so your ok - plenty of space for blue 37s, 47s and 40s :)

You'll like Friday's update ... nice blue Sulzer Type 2 booked on shed ;)

Rich

Narrow Planet have provided me with excellent service recently

attachicon.gifDSCF6231.JPG

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/nameplate-styles

and in the past Chris at Severn Mill Nameplates has produced some very nice bespoke makers plates for me.

http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk/nameplates.htm

Peter

P.S. Loving the shed!

Narrow Planet does an excellent range of plates for industrials. He is also doing BR smokebox door numbers, GWR cabside numberplates and GWR signalbox nameplates

• RMweb Gold

Quick update - as i've found some time to work on the Depot Building tonight!  Firstly, thanks to Les for the pointer about Severn Models and their range of brass desks, benches, tools, steps etc.   They look superb in the pictures! I've always steered very clear of brass etches like these, but have decided to bite the bullet and order one to see how they come out.

Secondly, the Blackpool - Marsh Lane parcels did indeed turn up a Class 25 working on Thursday, the shed master at Marsh Lane seems to have become somewhat keen on the loco and isn't all that happy on sending it back, so looks like its staying :)  Standard out of the box 25 - I need to get the headcode boxes plated over, which is a task for the coming winter, probably when the DCC decoder goes in at the same time,then i can sort the lighting out.  Tower Models have done a superb job of weathering it however, just wish their guys who do this would pay a little more attention to detail, as the cab side numbers are completely mis-aligned on one end.  Silly little mistake, but one that could have been dealt with very quickly and simply.  It will need changing at some point, as the data panel is in the wrong place for this loco, and in the early 1980s, it didn't have the derby works plate and the front connecting doors need plating over, as this view of it on Canton in 1983 shows.  All the same, very nice, and a pleasant addition to Marsh Lane!  When I've saved up the money to acquire it, Im looking for a second one of these, that will become 25035 with bodyside numbers!  I can just hear them now 'tea-cuping' up the climb to Marsh Lane Depot!

Hopefully an update later - maybe even a shed pic, if '048' makes it on Depot this evening!

IMG_4172.jpg

Rich

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Jerry/Paul,

Thanks guys. Looking forward to moving the layout forward, to do more pics of it!!

Rich

EDIT: That picture reminds me I really need to have a go at weathering those minerals! Anyone any suggestions on how to go about it, for a novice whose never weathered anything? Also, what's the best way of bringing transfers off?

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Day off today, and managed to spend most of it working on the shed building! Nothing really worth any images tonight, but have spent the day working on the electrics for the shed lighting, all lights are now fitted and tested and I'm in the process of wiring everything up properly.

First of the pits has been but together as well and the pit lighting trial fitted. All seems to work quite well although I'm going to put a resister in the circuit so both the pit and overhead lighting is controlled by one feed, yet the pit lighting is dimmer.

Also measured out the shed roof, so hopefully that will get cut tomorrow, then it's on to wall detailing! Just about decided on the depot layout trackplan, I've been tweaking, changing, starting from scratch, tweaking again etc etc etc for several weeks now, but I think I've got it nailed. A long term aim (part of an extension if I ever get the first bit built!) is to try and replicate the turntable at Old Oak Common, albeit in the North East! I like the photo opportunities for diesels sat around a turntable!

Also decided that the depot will have been the BR 1980s equivalent to a Level 5 heavy repair shop so that opens the way to some odd traction for the north east and the next building to be built! Got some key ideas for that one, bigger, better, learn from the lessons of the first, and a more heavily detailed interior! More to come as they say!

I'll try and follow up with some pics tomorrow!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Evening all (once again!),

Well from the hive of activity on Thursday (admittedly with little to show) yesterday and today have been work, family and home related matters, so little modelling has been done!  But I though i'd just update those that are interest on the activity.

I was originally intending to run thin wires from the six overhead lights in the shed to a common point below, but then had something of a brainwave!  (Don't have those often so this could backfire yet!)  Instead of running wires all over the place and having to disguise them, I thought how about running two brass roads, separately, down the length of the shed, positioned at the highest point of the roof trusses, one on either side of the longest vertical support.  That way, one is positive and one negative, and the wires from the lights can be soldered to brass rod, it saves wiring runs, and saves having to disguise it.  So that is what i've now done.  

IMG_4182.jpg

This birds eye view of the shed building, shows one of the rods temporarily in place. All appears to work well, and it will also give some added strength to the roof supports.  The two rods have now been removed and painted black, so the next task is to return them (scrap off a little paint where the solder will go) and solder the lighting connections.  The red cables will be hand painted black to disguise them.  To ensure the cables stay separately, the two black cables will be soldered to the rod on one side of the truss (i.e. the wall end), while the to red wires will be soldered on the other side (i.e. the door end).

I've also test fitted the two full length horizontal wooden beams that run at 90 degrees to the roof trusses - quite amazing how much detail they seem to add!

IMG_4185.jpg

Only stuck with blu-tac to start with just to check position and lengths, they will be fixed in properly once the brass rods are in and solders.  I've also got that last bit of that floor to finish off!  The middle truss (pictured at the bottom of the above picture) did have lights fitted, but I wasn't happy with how they looked, so they have been removed and i'll have another go, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm also about to order some brass tools, benches, cupboards etc.. from Severn Models, as suggested by Les a couple of days ago.  Its starting to get interesting this! :)

The eagle eyed among you will also note that the pit steps are in on the above picture - well except the very top step which will be cut to size and put in last.  I've done a test fit on the first pit and I have to say, I think its come up quite well - my apologies for all the vertical pictures in this post!

IMG_4183.jpg

The pit will have around seven little lights set in to the pit walls just to provide basic illumination down there - and they will be far dimmer than the main shed lights, but hopefully should help to lighten the bogie detail on locos.  This is only a trial fit at the moment, but shows the principal.  I'm hoping a bit of time tomorrow might get the lights soldered, and the first pit completed!

Thats all for now ... 2-1  (Train out of section for those non-signalling readers!)

Rich

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I thought i'd post this as a separate post, as its rolling stock related, rather than the shed building.  I've extended the carriage stock for the new layout by another vehicle, this time a Royal Mail-liveried Mk1 BG.  I remember as a kid, seeing this sat in the parcels sidings at Leeds on the one or two occasions that Dad took me, usually while mum and family members explored the local shops!

IMG_4190.jpg

I think it brightens the place up a bit - need to do some research on numbering to get the right number added, and like the others it will need weathering at some point.  I really do need to learn how to weather coaches!  Tower told me recently that the Royal Mail BG and GUVs were not selling well, unlike the others, so the opportunity to obtain a couple, with one going into Intercity or Provincial livery had moved down the priorities scale a bit, as there was no rush.  However, this one was a eBay Bargin ... on at £189 (I think) which was a good price anyway for a £250 model, on a Buy It Now, or Best Offer.  I always treat these as basically saying there is a little movement.  On this one, I put in, what I thought was something of a silly lower bid not expecting to get it, and to my amazement, it was accepted instantly!  Too good an offer to miss, from my view point!  Hence its addition.

IMG_4192.jpg

It also gives rise to the thought that Marsh Lane Depot Level 5 facility may also deal with bogie and wheel changes on parcels stock ;)  

Rich

• Like 3

The busbars in the shed roof for the lighting are a very sensible idea. As it is a permanent installation, there is no real need to use colour-coded wires - as long as you can keep track of polarity while you are doing the build, use all black coated wires and save yourself some painting.

John

I fitted out the interior of a Metcalfe goods shed office, with utilitarian furniture made from plasticard and microstrip. I made a counter top, desk, chair & stool, painted them all sort-of-varnished-mahogany. It was a thoroughly enjoyable way of killing a couple of winter evenings. I'd certainly not claim they were anything like "fine scale", but they did look good, until I put the roof on. Then, even with the carefully installed lighting, I discovered, it was all pretty much invisible!

I'm sure that in a shed, much more will be visible, so it'll be worth it.

I'll post a couple of pix when I can.

Best

Simon

Apologies for the lousy photo. The chair seems to have been 'alf 'inched. The counter top us folded up, Fools & Horses style. I should have put a ledger or something, along with an ashtray and a plunger bell, on the counter...

As I said, invisible from outside, but fun nonetheless. It looks a bit like I lost interest when it all became invisible!

The interior of your shed will be much more visible, I guess, and it looks excellent. The Seven models brass stuff is very nice. I'm following your build closely, as PD is progressing to a point where I shall spend hours in the garage whilst the laser burns MDF... I have to etch some brass too, but I think I'll limit myself to doing the artwork, and get a professional to do the difficult bit.

post-20369-0-23295000-1475404974_thumb.jpeg

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

The busbars in the shed roof for the lighting are a very sensible idea. As it is a permanent installation, there is no real need to use colour-coded wires - as long as you can keep track of polarity while you are doing the build, use all black coated wires and save yourself some painting.

John

Hi John, yes that would work, although the red wires in this case are those that are pre-wired on to the lights!  Hence the idea of painting them!  But a good point, all the same.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the lousy photo. The chair seems to have been 'alf 'inched. The counter top us folded up, Fools & Horses style. I should have put a ledger or something, along with an ashtray and a plunger bell, on the counter...

As I said, invisible from outside, but fun nonetheless. It looks a bit like I lost interest when it all became invisible!

The interior of your shed will be much more visible, I guess, and it looks excellent. The Seven models brass stuff is very nice. I'm following your build closely, as PD is progressing to a point where I shall spend hours in the garage whilst the laser burns MDF... I have to etch some brass too, but I think I'll limit myself to doing the artwork, and get a professional to do the difficult bit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I do like that photo!  What did you make the table and stool out of if you don't mind me asking?  Yes I think the interior will be more visible in the shed, especially when doing photographs and the like, but my inspiration really has been the Worcester Road layout - I appreciate its Gauge 1, so needs to be more detailed than O gauge, because of visibility, but that just layout provided so much inspiration to me.  If I can achieve 50% of it i'll be happy!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm delighted!

It's nothing more than plasticard & microstrip.

The stool is a disc, I made two pairs of legs with the top frame and football, and let them set before gluing them to the disc. Probably easiest to make a sketch and glue the microstrip directly to it. You can cut away the paper afterwards. I did the chair in the same way.

The desk, and shelf, were just off cuts, glued to look "something like" and then painted. They'd have used real wood, I guess in the 1920's, though plywood had been around for a while, so maybe it would have been much the same approach as the real thing, except I tend to stick the stiffeners & frames to the panels, and you'd almost certainly do it the other way round in the real thing.

If it's not obvious from the photo, the entire interior is a separate structure, including walls, door, skirtings, etc. All in plasticard. You could go to town and do dado rails, windowledges, cast iron radiators, whatever.

If you want inspiration, look at Peter Insole's thread on Western Thunder. It's in another league entirely. Mindblowing!

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/bagshot-station-build.5373/page-8#post-140246

Best

Simon