Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Nice set of pictures Rich.

Looks like you had a good day.

Brian.

PS; waiting for the diorama...... ;)

Thanks Brian,

Just itching to get on with something!  Hoping to maybe get some wood later this week, and get the boards built on Saturday (if the weather is decent) then I'll push on and show progress with things!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well manage to get the morning off tomorrow, having worked god knows how many extra hours the last couple of weeks!  So off to get the wood for my little diorama.  I'm thinking I'll actually start a new thread for this one, over on the Layout Topics', just to give it a bit more exposure, but I'll still be updating this thread with various snippets, trials and bits and pieces.

Just to give all you kind souls a sneak preview (are you really that excited??) The whole thing will be 6ft x 18ins in size (excluding the off-scene fiddle yard), not sure what to call these as they will just be short easily movable 4.5" wide boards that a loco or short train can be run on to, so I'm calling them Fiddle Plates!  The idea that I'm working on for this micro layout is that its a somewhat remote outpost on an NCB industrial line, the single track main line winds past the engineering workshops/shed.  There's another slight twist in that I'm loosely basing it on the old Harton/Westoe Colliery electric system, although I'm sure my green Dapol 08 and Minerva Peckett may make an appearance.  It will have a limited OHL that I'm going to hand-build, enhancing the small demos and bits that I built a few months back. Motive power will eventually be two or three electric locos, based on the North Eastern-designed ES1 kits from Michael Edge, first one has been ordered - thats going to be fun having not built etch brass before but sod it, I'm going to have a go and see how I get on!  

The prime reason is to play about with trackwork and scenery, as its probably 15 years since I did any real scenic modelling, and much has changed like static grass etc.  Also come across some really nice 3D style printed brick and stone papers.  There'll be a couple of ground signals from Mr Fitness (couldnt not have signals could I!) and the workshop building is going to be loosely based on a mirror image of High Peak Junction shed/workshops.

Track plan, which has now been designed in Templot and printed ready for work to start on the track (after getting a new battery for my laptop, the old one gave up the ghost about two weeks back!) is shown below.  Not up to the graphical standard of the work produced by Brian (Tove) but suitable for the purpose!

MLW_Trackplan.jpg

Hopefully, nice and simple, and the ability to progress quite quickly.  The plan is to try out some interesting things that are cropping up on the DCC front that I've not really seen tried, but more of them in the coming weeks!

I'll post the url on here once, the proper thread is up and running, probably once the boards are built over the weekend.

Rich

• Like 10

Nice little plan Rich.

You've got the length of approx 6', but if you're going to use it for photography, may I suggest a tall backscene, as to get say a locomotive full length into shot at front 3/4 angle, you will need to have some background elevation available or some excellent skills in Photoshop/Lightroom.

My plank is 18" high and is nowhere near big enough!

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Good point. I'd gone to 12" for the height of the back scene, primarily based on where it's going to be stored. Might have to make it removable!

Rich

Probably a good idea Rich as mine is 12" above the baseboard and it needs to be at least 18". Having one removable would be beneficial for storage.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably a good idea Rich as mine is 12" above the baseboard and it needs to be at least 18". Having one removable would be beneficial for storage.

Jinty ;)

Thanks mate, having remeasured the wardrobe where its going to be stored, and moved a couple of things around, I've managed to get a fixed 18" above baseboard back scene, so I'll go with that! The fact that its fixed will also help support the light unit and make it a bit sturdier I think.

Saw these at Doncaster, so am thinking something similar for the Fiddle Plates.

DSC_2644.jpg

That was OO, but should be fine on O gauge and I'm thinking it just low height aluminium angle.

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks mate, having remeasured the wardrobe where its going to be stored, and moved a couple of things around, I've managed to get a fixed 18" above baseboard back scene, so I'll go with that! The fact that its fixed will also help support the light unit and make it a bit sturdier I think.

Saw these at Doncaster, so am thinking something similar for the Fiddle Plates.

DSC_2644.jpg

That was OO, but should be fine on O gauge and I'm thinking it just low height aluminium angle.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I went down this route but found the aluminium became very expensive. If you find a good cost effective supplier please let me know! I'll post a picture of my efforts later.

• RMweb Gold

That looks like a nice little track plan Rich. Not to crammed in with plenty of room for scenery. Should be superb for exhibiting your lovely stock. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus - hopefully!  I wanted something with a bit of scenic potential but nothing that could cause too much work and put me off if it wasn't going right!  Depending on how long it takes to find our new house, I can see a third board potentially creeping in with more opportunities! But I'm working slowly - nothing is happening until these two are done!

Hi Rich,

I went down this route but found the aluminium became very expensive. If you find a good cost effective supplier please let me know! I'll post a picture of my efforts later.

Thanks Phil - actually thats a good point. I suppose the back up plan would be something similar but using home-built copper-clad trackwork instead, which as I've got all the bits here already would probably work out far cheaper.  :scratchhead:

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Today hasn't achieved its aims in one respect (thanks to Doris I didn't get to the wood yard) .. but in another respect got better!  Not long before leaving for work I got a call from the boss to say with all this bad weather, no point in travelling if you don't have to - stay at home this afternoon!!  Thanks to Doris again!!! :)

So I decided to do a full size print out on A3 paper of the Templot plan, having the house to myself, take over the lounge, and check things like clearances, measure up for the buildings etc.  Two very poor photos (the light outside was abysmal and I should really have put the light on before taking the pictures on the iPhone) but it gives an indication of how its going to go...

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

Work tomorrow, may see if I can sneak away at lunchtime to the timber yard!  Then boards over the weekend hopefully! Yea I know ... famous last words!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

NIce idea Rich,

I can definetly see some shunting potential with two loco`s;ie one stabled in the head shunt to pull and push wagon`s onto/off the main,whilst the main line train drop`s off & pick`s up wagon`s.

And of course not forgeting some nice grotty industrial scenery to have a bash at as well........

I can also see the attraction modeling the Harton/Westoe Colliery electric system......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10651736@N02/6149578172/in/album-72157627674478036/

Not up to the graphical standard of the work produced by Brian (Tove) but suitable for the purpose!

Mate,your too kind about my scribbles....!! :nomention:

Cheers,

Brian.

Edited by Tove

• RMweb Gold

NIce idea Rich,

I can definetly see some shunting potential with two loco`s;ie one stabled in the head shunt to pull and push wagon`s onto/off the main,whilst the main line train drop`s off & pick`s up wagon`s.

And of course not forgeting some nice grotty industrial scenery to have a bash at as well........

I can also see the attraction modeling the Harton/Westoe Colliery electric system......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10651736@N02/6149578172/in/album-72157627674478036/

Mate,your too kind about my scribbles....!! :nomention:

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

Should be quite interesting I hope!   I've not seen those shots from St. Hilda Sidings before, isn't that lovely.  That Barclay really looks interesting - be nice to find a kit of those, although I suspect there's isn't!

Seen as I'm holding back on the main layout at the moment, I'm hoping this will keep me busy, and by using the North Eastern electric loco design of ES1, means that I'll have some period loco(s) to run on it .. if I get on ok with the building the one thats now on order, then I can see another couple appearing.  Seem to have got the bit between my teeth for having a go at etch brass kits!  Wonder if I'll be thinking the same when when it arrives  :scared:

I did think about commissioning you to do a sketch, but decided that you've never decipher the description of what I was thinking!  :no:

Rich

attachicon.gifDia #3.jpg

Brian.

Hi,

I'm one of those who reads with interest, but rarely has anything useful to add! Love your loco fleet Rich, nice collection and pleased to see you've been able to make progress with a layout.

Brian, you posted a picture of a small roadside scene you did - can I ask how you did your grass and bushes? Especially those with leaves, very realistic! Sorry to divert the conversation.

Richie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richie,

Welcome and thanks for your kind comments. This new little layout diverges slightly from the 1980s blue, but it will all make sense when the BIG project finally comes about! I'm sure Brian will respond to your query, never worry about asking questions! I'm of the view no question is stupid, so ask away, others are probably interested in the answer anyway!

Rich

I did think about commissioning you to do a sketch, but decided that you've never decipher the description of what I was thinking!  :no:

Rich

Commissioning a sketch....... :scratchhead: well, i am looking at the Heljan 45 when i comes out!..... :mosking:

Hi,

I'm one of those who reads with interest, but rarely has anything useful to add! Love your loco fleet Rich, nice collection and pleased to see you've been able to make progress with a layout.

Brian, you posted a picture of a small roadside scene you did - can I ask how you did your grass and bushes? Especially those with leaves, very realistic! Sorry to divert the conversation.

Richie

HI Richie,

If you give me a day or so i`ll post something here,as i just need to find some of the bits i used!.

Cheers,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Paul/Tove :)

Well I've managed to get both baseboards built, and the back scenes (painted a light blue colour) are now drying and look really good.  The dedicated thread for the layout is also up on the Layout Topics section - see here for full details, please feel free to follow along and have an input!  I'll keep any baseboard, scenery and general layout info on there now, and will keep this thread as more of a workbench, 'BIG' project and kit-building info.

So, don't worry, it will still be updated!

Rich

• Like 3

Richie

Hi Richie,

The bit`s and bob`s that i used on the little dio,were;

The short static grass on the edge is Woodland scenics 'Burnt grass',with 4mm (summer mix) & 6mm (spring mix) WWScenics static grasses mixed together for the remaing area.

And the bush is from a pack of Woodland scenics 'fine leaf foliage' (summer i think),with some Noch dark & light green leaves sprinkled on top.

These are the companies;

http://www.war-world.co.uk/

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/

http://www.noch.com/en/

There are of course many other suppliers of scenic materials,and quite a few are covered in the this book;

Modelling grassland and landscape detailing by Gordon Gravett. (Wild Swan Publishing)

I can also definitley recomend this book even though it cost`s £24.95,as it is packed with lot`s of very useful info and is in full colour from front to back!.

I`ve read my copy on numerous times,and seem to pick something up almost ever time i do.

Anyhow,i hope this help`s some.

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Interesting background - I've been seriously thinking about getting one of those WWS static grass applicators - they seem one of the best around.  More food for thought!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Interesting background - I've been seriously thinking about getting one of those WWS static grass applicators - they seem one of the best around.  More food for thought!

Rich

I built my own using a bug killer and it worked great, there's a how to somewhere on my ELJ thread Rich, costs less than £15 to make.

Cheers

Hi Brian,

Rich

My static grass applicator is much in the same vain as Paul has outlined in his post,except that i brought mine of flee bay ready converted,a number of years back.

It`s basic,but it`s still giving good service even now.

Brian.