Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Whilst I do not disagree with your proposed cutting points for electrical isolation, may I suggest elsewhere that needs a visit with the razor saw or the slitting disc.

I have placed little yellow circles where I believe a cut needs to be.

Obviously if you have a different frog wiring than the normal method of making it all live including the nose and lead onto the switch rails, it may not be the way to go.

attachicon.gifCrossover Marsh Lane.jpg

Hope that helps

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the suggestions - ok, I'm missing something here,  I was looking at two cuts, your looking at five (is that instead of my two red ones or in addition to?) so what haven't I worked out or realised?

:scratchhead:

Rich

Hi Rich - it's always advisable to have breaks in the switch rails before the vees, and to bond the switch rails to their adjacent stock rails. This provides two functions:

- the switch blades are always powered even in the absence of a reliable metallic contact between blade and stock rail;

- it ensures that a short is not developed at the vee in the event of the rear of wheel flanges making contact with open blades.

These rail breaks are conveniently made at the place where the prototype has a fishplate.

post-133-0-28454900-1483747436.gif

For crossovers, two extra breaks are required to seperate feeds (as you are already planning):

post-133-0-44854200-1483748057.gif

Again, the breaks are conveniently made at prototype fishplate locations.

Yes, another vote for Jinty's comment re cuts: you ideally want the closure rails to be bonded to the nearest stock rail, and each crossing needs to be isolated - there are two crossing rails, so you need 4 breaks - for sure the two on each that Jintyman has outlined in yellow, and two others. I think it is a matter of taste whether you do it at the red or blue points - but beware of one thing, if the points are not controlled by a single "lever" and you use your proposed red breaks, you could end up with a dead zone when one point is switched/reversed and the other is normal. This shouldn't happen in normal running, but might be a nuisance.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Ah! The penny has just dropped, thanks Simon, that second drawing is superb. Without the extra cuts, there would potentially be a short when the wheels on the switch blades hit the vee wouldn't there. Doh!

Rule 101 of electronics, follow the path! Thanks guys, I'll go take another look at that this afternoon, but yes, it makes more sense now.

Rich

A further thought or three, prompted by the lower diagram in Miss P's post.

If the frog angles are quite short, it is possible to have the rail breaks very close to the frogs, and simply leave the frogs dead. I don't recommend it, but remain surprised how good this can be, given clean track & wheels and flywheels, as one of my pals has adopted it on his railway, and we rarely have issues. It's a worthwhile dodge for garden railways. In this case, a third pair of feeds would be needed on the diagonal track. I'd note that his railway has mechanical frames, locking and rod-and-string-connected-points-and-signals, and any form of microswitch would be out in the elements, so he tried it without, and it pretty much works.

If you want to spend money, the frogs can be supplied by a "juicer". Various models exist. Sledgehammer to crack a walnut in my opinion, but simple to install, and may be justified if there are enough things needing juice in a close proximity. It is worth noting that the two frogs in Miss P's diagram will always be opposite polarity (assuming a single "lever") so a two pole juicer is enough for this: indeed, a two-pole juicer can in principle be used for a complex junction with more than two frogs. This might reduce the cost per point to a less stratospheric figure.

On a DCC installation, the feeds at "a" & "b" would both be connected in parallel to the same power bus.

And from the upper diagram, on a DCC installation, you would have breaks on both rails coming from the frog, and would ensure these rails were fed from the appropriate side of the DCC power bus.

Hth

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Simon,

Many thanks, interesting food for thought there. I'm of the same opinion as you on the juicer - especially as the 'BIG' layout has 40-50 points including storage yards!!!

I'll take another look later on and re-read Jinty, Miss P and your posts. On that note apologies to Miss Prism (and thanks for the input and drawings) I'd read the post this morning on my phone and thought the drawings were Simon's apologies all round, but many thanks to Miss P for the input, very useful.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Hi Rich

Just had a most enjoyable look through your thread. Some really nice modelling indeed. Also you have some lovely looking stock. The picture of the Blue 37 and 20 in the shed looks absolutely superb. The shed itself is a fine piece of modelling.and is full of atmosphere.

Apologies for the amount not of notifications but, they were fully deserving. Shall be following along now with interest.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marcus,

Very kind - yes I was surprised when I logged on and found 61 notifications!!! :) Glad it was enjoyable for you - hopefully much more exciting stuff to come with Arksey, the 'BIG' layout once I finish clearing the loft out and getting it started!

Got to master the art of copper clad pointwork for that, as the first 34 points are all CC as they'll be hidden out of sight, then onto the scenic stuff!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention the previous post - I note that at some point today, we past the 20,000 views mark on this thread, which is truly unbelievable - I would have been amazed had it got over a few thousand when I started back in May last year!  Thank you all of you who regularly take look, and especially to those who post with comments/suggestions and advice. Its all appreciated.

The coming year should hopefully bring more interesting content, and some images of locos and models actually working!

Thanks again

Rich

• Like 3

I forgot to mention the previous post - I note that at some point today, we past the 20,000 views mark on this thread, which is truly unbelievable - I would have been amazed had it got over a few thousand when I started back in May last year!  Thank you all of you who regularly take look, and especially to those who post with comments/suggestions and advice. Its all appreciated.

The coming year should hopefully bring more interesting content, and some images of locos and models actually working!

Thanks again

Rich

Congrats on the 20K plus mate, very well deserved.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Just a quick update tonight. I've managed to get an hour to move the brake van on a little so that isn't far off now. No pics tho as the battery died on the phone!

The entire day has been spent doing more tidying out in the loft - can actually see the floorboards in places for the first time in decades! About half way through so I suspect another 2 or 3 days work up there and it will be sorted, then I can start work on Arksey ;) yay!

Other news I've acquired the latest version of my photo stacking software to work with the Nikon D800 so I'm hoping to try that out over the next couple of days, which should give improved photography!

Oh and after much thought and discussion ... I've taken the jump and purchased a JLTRT Class 37/5 kit! What I have let myself in for!! I must say thanks to Laurie at JLTRT whose been really helpful in answering a few questions. Hopefully if this goes together ok it will open the doors to a few more 'refurbished' or 'heavyweight' tractors - well you can never have enough 37s now can you?

Exciting times ... just hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Rich

• Like 3

Now that I am looking forward to. A nice Buxton example would be nice. Now why on earth would I think that HaHa.

At least with a Buxton example you don't have to worry to much about getting it straight as most of them had a rough shunt at some stage and ended up with droopy noses.

And yes, you are right. You can never have enough 37's

Look forward to seeing the build.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now that I am looking forward to. A nice Buxton example would be nice. Now why on earth would I think that HaHa.

At least with a Buxton example you don't have to worry to much about getting it straight as most of them had a rough shunt at some stage and ended up with droopy noses.

And yes, you are right. You can never have enough 37's

Look forward to seeing the build.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. I'm a bit cautious about it all having never attempted something that big or complicated, but Laurie was great with the advice, and having seen the instructions, I'm looking forward to it! I think this one will be outshopped as 37512 Thornaby Demon in Railfreight Grey (no red sole bar) livery. But doing the kit, introduces another aspect - i need to learn how to airbrush so I can paint the think! Posted a query on Andy's P painting and weathering forum, and starting to look around at various airbrush options.

Looking at motor options, most people on JLTRT kits seem to be going with ABC motors and gears?

Tractor heaven mate, about 4 or 5 sitting ticking over with the Volume up full and the neighbours banging on your door, haha  :O  :scared:  :nono:  :triniti:

Hahaha! Yup that's the idea Andy, mind you there are three sat here at the moment, although only one is sound fitted - decided that I'm going to hang back getting the green one painted for now, and hopefully do it myself when I'm feeling more prolific, which has the added advantage of being able to sort out the cab lighting and headlight at the same time.

Looking forward to the build Rich and yes your far braver than me ;)

Cheers

Thanks mate - not sure if its brave or stupid! We'll find out tho! As for 47s moving, well there are five in the fleet at present, ideally want the same again when finances allow and they come up - but saying that, if this 37 works then a JLTRT kit might be an option too! Idea is that each one will be in a different livery associated with the 1980s. God I've just realised the value of what 10 47s would be ... ooops!

Rich

• Like 1

Oh and after much thought and discussion ... I've taken the jump and purchased a JLTRT Class 37/5 kit! What I have let myself in for!! I must say thanks to Laurie at JLTRT whose been really helpful in answering a few questions. Hopefully if this goes together ok it will open the doors to a few more 'refurbished' or 'heavyweight' tractors - well you can never have enough 37s now can you?

Exciting times ... just hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Rich

Good man!!.

I`m sure your`ll have no problems mate!.

From the build`s i`ve seen the JLTRT kit`s go together quite nicley and definetly look the part aswell.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian,

Im going to finish the brake van off first, before diving in, but Im quite looking forward to it now - of course, may change that view once I get started!!

Spent an hour or two tonight with the big Nikon DSLR and the latest version of my photo stacking software, playing around doing some pictures and getting used to it a bit ... have attached a selection below, I'm really pleased with them, the quality and better depth of field for modelling is brilliant.  Would welcome any comments as usual :). These were all just taken on the testbed that runs down one side of my study.

Rich

NikonDSLR1.jpg

NikonDSLR2.jpg

NikonDSLR3.jpg

NikonDSLR4.jpg

NikonDSLR5.jpg

NikonDSLR6.jpg

NikonDSLR7.jpg

NikonDSLR8.jpg

NikonDSLR9.jpg

NikonDSLR10.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Rich

Great pictures. I do like the grubby Scottish 47. Very nice weathering indeed. That's one area that I'm not confident with especially when it comes to attacking a brand new loco. There's nothing worse in my eyes than a bad weathering job so this puts me off even more. I have got a spare 37 body shell upstairs so I will have to have a practice on it one day.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Great pictures. I do like the grubby Scottish 47. Very nice weathering indeed. That's one area that I'm not confident with especially when it comes to attacking a brand new loco. There's nothing worse in my eyes than a bad weathering job so this puts me off even more. I have got a spare 37 body shell upstairs so I will have to have a practice on it one day.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Paul/Marcus. I must say I'm pleased with them. Takes a bit of time to setup, and get used to, but then it's a breeze! Once I get on with Arksey and get a proper background and scenery there, the photos should hopefully achieve one of the aims - to be realistic!

As for weathering, i've just about built up the courage to try a wagon! Not sure I'd have the nerve to to try it on a £500 loco yet! But I love what Paul is doing with his 08s - the greasey axleboxes especially! Looks just how I remember them! Transfers have been dispatched from Steve at Railtec for the first of the 08 renumbering projects :)

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1