Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

Great pics there Rich love the one of the 08 and the 25 with the 47 (although that's a bit of a tease ;) )

Cheers

I don`t know about the 47 Paul, Rich is teasing me with that 58 again... :nono:

Nice set of pic`s Rich, they look the bussiness.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Ek Rich, that's some serious weathering mate, loving the 47, some of the best weathering I've seen on 7 Mil. Well done.

Thanks Andy, I'd love to take the credit, but alas it was all down to the chap that painted the loco for me!  But it is a really good weathering job. Very pleased with it.

I don`t know about the 47 Paul, Rich is teasing me with that 58 again... :nono:

Nice set of pic`s Rich, they look the bussiness.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Hehe - it was only just because it was sat on the board honest!!! :). Now managed to find my long USB3 cable to connect the Nikon D800 to the computer, so I'll probably try a few more tomorrow ... I'll swap some of the locos around to hide the 58 this time :)

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Hehe - it was only just because it was sat on the board honest!!! :). Now managed to find my long USB3 cable to connect the Nikon D800 to the computer, so I'll probably try a few more tomorrow ... I'll swap some of the locos around to hide the 58 this time :)

Rich

I don`t believe you one bit mate......... :laugh:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Had another little play tonight with the camera ... hope nobody is fed up with the same locos!  I really do need to change them round for a bit.

Just incase nobody is aware, this is a method called Focus Stacking - it involves taking several different photographs at different focal lengths on an SLR camera, which are then merged by software to form one sharp image.  This one is is the biggest I've done ... 87 different images focused from left to right, merged into one!  Amazing!

HF-47+25.jpg

A couple of others too...

Rich

HF-08202.jpg

HF-47+25.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Rich

Some cracking pictures...... so what software are you using to get these great pictures

Bored..... Never when it comes to good old blue !!!!!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comment.  Its a piece of software called Helicon Focus (http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-products/helicon-focus/) I'm running on an Apple Mac, but there is a Windows version as well.  I have the version that includes Helicon Remote, which allows you to operate the camera from the computer.

My Nikon D800 is then connected with a USB cable to the Mac and away you go - it takes a little practice to get the focus points right, but nothing too complicated.  Once you've set the focus points in Helicon Remote, the software controls the camera to go away and do its thing, downloading each shot as it goes, and once finished, imports the lot into Helicon Focus ... at its very basic, its then two mouse clicks to merge, but I'm going to play with that tomorrow, as with the latest version I'm sure I can improve these a little bit more!

Really is giving me the urge to push on with the new layout however, and get a proper back scene up!

Rich

• Like 1

They look good Rich. What's it like when you push the depth further?

Try a couple of locos coupled then take a front 3/4 or even an almost head on stack and see if you can get both the front and rear in focus! I'm certainly interested in this as I'd like to get some better shots of our layout with my Canon G15. I remember Andy Y did an excellent tutorial on a couple of the free DVDs in BRM a few issues ago but I'd only borrowed the DVDs and had to give them back. (Oi! who said cheapskate?! :jester: )

Cheers

JF

• Like 1

Fwiw, Some of the newer cameras (e.g. Lumix) do auto photostacking, (because they do not have small apertures to give a large depth of field). There are plenty of tutorials (such as http://www.mccordall.com/photo/article/focus-stacking-very-simple/, and other useful tutorials on there wrt macro photography, lighting etc.) For N gauge maybe this tutorial may be better http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/ (I used to use Hugin for stacking, when I was into such things).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They look good Rich. What's it like when you push the depth further?

Try a couple of locos coupled then take a front 3/4 or even an almost head on stack and see if you can get both the front and rear in focus! I'm certainly interested in this as I'd like to get some better shots of our layout with my Canon G15. I remember Andy Y did an excellent tutorial on a couple of the free DVDs in BRM a few issues ago but I'd only borrowed the DVDs and had to give them back. (Oi! who said cheapskate?! :jester: )

Cheers

JF

Hi Jon,

Do you mean this kind of shot ;). Sorry about the 58 Brian - its the only other long loco I have on the layout at the moment!

HF-47636_58039.jpg

Apologies for the background - pictures from the future Arksey will hopefully be much better, with sky instead of wallpaper!  I was going to try a head-on shot for you too, but my tripod isn't the best, and despite, having the legs out, when the centre column was removed from the vertical and replaced horizontal at 90degrees to allow the camera to be positioned further across than the legs, it tipped up!

Had I thought a little harder and positioned the first focus point on the track, then the bottom left would have been in focus.  As it is, this is 44 separate images merged together.   It occurred to me that you might like to look at this full size, rather than limited to 1000px, so there is a link here, BUT DO BE AWARE .. its taken on a Nikon D800 which is a 36MP SLR, so the file size is 21MB and the full width of the picture is 7,320 pixels ... so if you do look, make sure you click to zoom in! 

If you don't want to download the big file, but want to see the level of detail that is shown, this is a 1000px by 667px crop from the full size image

HF-47636_58039_CROP.jpg

Again, for those interested the first, 22nd and 44th frames are also available if you want to take look and see how the focusing worked originally.  No hope at all of getting anything like a broad focus, even on a high 'F' stop.  The links are first file, 22nd File and 44th File.

Jon, just remember that Helicon Remote only works with Canon or Nikon DSLRs - you can take all the images individually, by moving the focus yourself and taking another picture, then importing what you have taken into Helicon Focus, which will work with RAW, TIF or JPG from any camera, but I can't guarantee how good the results are!  Im assuming your layout is a group build?  Im more than happy to have a wander over for the afternoon one day and do some pics, show you how it works and let you have a go if you/the group want?

This is one of the reasons I like O gauge - the feeling of presence even from a static loco far exceeds the smaller scales (each to their own of course) but it makes doing layout photography so much easier!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

The full size picture is very impressive Rich,and certainly puts my little Panasonic Lumix to shame!.

Brian.

no worries on the 58,it`s always good to see it........!! :cry:

Edited by Tove

Hi Jon,

Do you mean this kind of shot ;). Sorry about the 58 Brian - its the only other long loco I have on the layout at the moment!

HF-47636_58039.jpg

Apologies for the background - pictures from the future Arksey will hopefully be much better, with sky instead of wallpaper!  I was going to try a head-on shot for you too, but my tripod isn't the best, and despite, having the legs out, when the centre column was removed from the vertical and replaced horizontal at 90degrees to allow the camera to be positioned further across than the legs, it tipped up!

Had I thought a little harder and positioned the first focus point on the track, then the bottom left would have been in focus.  As it is, this is 44 separate images merged together.   It occurred to me that you might like to look at this full size, rather than limited to 1000px, so there is a link here, BUT DO BE AWARE .. its taken on a Nikon D800 which is a 36MP SLR, so the file size is 21MB and the full width of the picture is 7,320 pixels ... so if you do look, make sure you click to zoom in! 

If you don't want to download the big file, but want to see the level of detail that is shown, this is a 1000px by 667px crop from the full size image

HF-47636_58039_CROP.jpg

Again, for those interested the first, 22nd and 44th frames are also available if you want to take look and see how the focusing worked originally.  No hope at all of getting anything like a broad focus, even on a high 'F' stop.  The links are first file, 22nd File and 44th File.

Jon, just remember that Helicon Remote only works with Canon or Nikon DSLRs - you can take all the images individually, by moving the focus yourself and taking another picture, then importing what you have taken into Helicon Focus, which will work with RAW, TIF or JPG from any camera, but I can't guarantee how good the results are!  Im assuming your layout is a group build?  Im more than happy to have a wander over for the afternoon one day and do some pics, show you how it works and let you have a go if you/the group want?

This is one of the reasons I like O gauge - the feeling of presence even from a static loco far exceeds the smaller scales (each to their own of course) but it makes doing layout photography so much easier!

Rich

WOW  :O           nuff said. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

The full size picture is very impressive Rich,and certainly puts my little Panasonic Lumix to shame!.

Brian.

no worries on the 58,it`s always good to see it........!! :cry:

Aww I'll bring you some hankies and tissues on Sunday Brian :)

WOW  :O           nuff said. :sungum:

Thanks Andy

Rich

• Like 1

That most certainly is impressive Brian! The range of focus of so many modern cameras is phenomenal and with this sort of software, the best can be made of it. I'll have to download this and have a go I think. You're welcome to come and have a look at our train set anytime by the way!!

Cheers

JF

• RMweb Gold

Jon, Marcus & Peter,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.  I am very pleased with 47636 tho Peter, really would like a ScotRail push-pull example, but its at the back of queue and way out of area ... however, if my long-term goal works out on Arksey, and the Doncaster Works test train gets recreated and a whole host of locomotives could appear!!!!

General Update

A quick comment on Jinty's thread made me realise I hadn't mentioned the latest arrival, which appeared last week. Again, apologies for the cr*p in the background, as you can tell, I've started stockpiling ballast for the new layout! 

IMG_4801.jpg

This one, which is out of period for what I'm doing with Arksey is going to stay as it is for a while, to allow some 1970s-era vacuum-braked photos to be done on the new layout when its up and running, but the long-term plan is that the head code will be plated over, the numbers updated to 47222 and the 'Appleby Frodingham' nameplates, that I already have, will be attached.  The weathering on this is so nice however, I am a little loathe to spoil it!

This is the fifth 47 acquired, and given I'm a '37' fan through and through, I never thought Sulzer Type 4s would out number English Electric Type 3s on my layout!!  Thanks to Chris Stafford (NorthEastern) on here, its a lovely model, and already fitted with DCC Sound, so its acquisition and reallocation to Marsh Lane was a bit of a no-brainer!   Also arriving with it on the trip working from the North North East was...

IMG_4800.jpg

Which are both now stored, pending operation on Arksey.  I was quite amazed at how heavy these Cargowagons are, but lovely models.  Two down, only another five to go for the train!  While, its not quite the right style of vehicle, the aim is to recreate the old Ripple Lane to Immingham paper train that used to run.

I keep mentioning the new Arksey layout, my 'BIG' project, and a couple of people have asked why I haven't started a separate thread - pure reason being I don't want it to stagnate, I want it to show progress, so I'm holding off until the loft is totally cleared, the floor boarding sorted and track starts to go down, then (in the words of Andy 'not another layout plan' Peters) I shall reveal all!  God thats frightening isn't it!  

Seriously, its getting closer - another couple of days work and the loft will be sorted.  Long term plan is the Arksey thread will be pure layout based, and this will become more of a workbench/general update thread - and the base for Marsh Lane Depot when I finally find somewhere to put the boards!

Rich

• Like 6

Hi Rich

I did exactly the same as you when I started PDW. I just started adding to the KoLW thread until PDW started to take shape and deserved a thread of its own. Again,for exactly the same reasons as you although, I had to rip another layout first before starting. For pictures of the destruction and the planning of PDW look at the last few pages of the KoLW thread in the link in my signature.

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

I did exactly the same as you when I started PDW. I just started adding to the KoLW thread until PDW started to take shape and deserved a thread of its own. Again,for exactly the same reasons as you although, I had to rip another layout first before starting. For pictures of the destruction and the planning of PDW look at the last few pages of the KoLW thread in the link in my signature.

Cheers

Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

Oooh id missed Kyle of LochWilliam ... thats tonights reading sorted ;). Your a bad influence, distracting me from modelling hehe!

Rich

General Update

A quick comment on Jinty's thread made me realise I hadn't mentioned the latest arrival, which appeared last week. Again, apologies for the cr*p in the background, as you can tell, I've started stockpiling ballast for the new layout! 

Rich

And breading Tortoise as well :no:  :no: :no:  

Cracking pics again Rich, and loving the Cargo Wagons mate, superb

• RMweb Gold

This is one of the things I really like about rmWeb - the help that people give and the open sharing of information.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been researching Doncaster Works test train formations, looking towards the new 'BIG' layout.  Id just assumed that prior to the Mk2 set which came about in the mid-1990s, that it was all Mk1s, but I came across this photograph (Flickr link) of 37027 at York Yard North in March 1981, that made me do some more digging.  Turns out that prior to 1983/1984 the train comprised of seven LMS BG vehicles dating from 1939!  So I started a thread (click here if you want a look) on the LMS Coaches part of this site, to see if anyone could offer any more info, or suggest suitable kits.  The LMS not being one of my area's knowledge.  The response was brilliant, and thanks to a swap of information, I've now identified the coaches, their background and possible kit options from a couple of people including Sidelines and Ian Kirk :)

Ain't it good to share!  As a well known brand says ... 'Every little helps'

Rich

• Like 2

Also arriving with it on the trip working from the North North East was...

IMG_4800.jpg

Which are both now stored, pending operation on Arksey.  

Stored???? 

Get on wit ya!!!!!  you need to get stuck into them with weathering powders, liquids, Testors dullcote and an airbrush.

Seriously because of the body shape and the stantions along the sides, these wagons lend themselves to weathering really easily. The Heljan paintwork doesn't get damaged by the alcohol based liquids either which some items can do. Grot can be built up in the bottom corners of the sections, and road dirt would ply its way pretty much everywhere on the body.

If you want to have a go at weathering, these wagons are an excellent place to start..............................

Here's one I did earlier:

post-14906-0-29689200-1484687264_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-27837700-1484687294_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the pictures, but it's just to show how they take to weathering.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Stored???? 

Get on wit ya!!!!!  you need to get stuck into them with weathering powders, liquids, Testors dullcote and an airbrush.

Seriously because of the body shape and the stantions along the sides, these wagons lend themselves to weathering really easily. The Heljan paintwork doesn't get damaged by the alcohol based liquids either which some items can do. Grot can be built up in the bottom corners of the sections, and road dirt would ply its way pretty much everywhere on the body.

If you want to have a go at weathering, these wagons are an excellent place to start..............................

Jinty,

Firstly ... never apologize for posting pics of superb modelling, and your weathering is always a delight to look at! Secondly, there is the 'oh wow, wow, wow' button when you want it!

They're stored pending work! Well pending me finishing clearing the loft and getting on with track building! I'm having a wander to Bristol on Sunday, so am going to try and search out some weathering powders, as well as looking at airbrushes - having acquired the 37 kit, I'm going to need to paint it, so decided I may as well start practicing! It's all your fault of course, well, you and Andy P ;) your weathering and repaint are inspiration. Seriously, I think because so many of us are one-man modellers, having rmWeb spurs you on, or encourages you to try things you'd previously though nope! There's that back up and support there, which is really nice.

But once I've got the powders, I'll use one of these wagons as a starter and see where we go. The VDAs will still be heading to North Wales tho!

Rich

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been sat pondering and looking at these for the past 20 minutes! How did you do it then? Presumably your working from photos, and I'm guessing the 'muck' areas at the bottom is black watered down paint? It is it just powders?

Rich

• Like 1