North London Group

PenrithBeacon

I have just learned that John Hayes has died.

John was a founder member of the Scalefour Society and the NLG and most gifted model maker. He contributed a lot to Heckmondwyke and he had the respect and affection of all who met him.

A great loss.

Regards

RMwebbers might like to know that NLG member Mark Baker has organised a memorial exhibition to Captain Charles Fryatt who was executed by the German military on 27th July 1916. Fryatt later had a Claughton class locomotive named after him by the LNWR.

Mark's exhibition runs at Masonic Hall, Ferndale Road, Harwich CO12 3BP, from 23 July to 31 July, where Fryatt was a member.

See also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-36745439 ; http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.uk/site-updates/captain-fryatt-exhibition/ ; http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.uk/a-local-hero/

Regards

The next meeting of the NLG will be on Monday 25th July at St Andrews Church. It will be a modelling/test track evening and I have to remember to take the small test track with me (it's currently sitting the front bedroom!).

The Newsletter is attached. It includes some more details of the meeting and further memories of John Hayes.

NEWSLETTER JULY 2016 F.pdf

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Our next meeting will be at St Andrews Church on Monday 22nd August starting at 8pm as usual. This meeting is one of those brought forward by a week because of a Bank Holiday and it will be a modelling evening with the test track available for use.

The new NLG web site is now available see http://thenlg.org.uk/ .

The rest of the programme for 2016 can be found on the website but for convenience it is as below:-

26 September Talk – Jim Summers: 'Modern Prototype Signal Control Systems'

24 October Modelling workshop

28 November Film night

19 December Christmas social evening

The new newsletter is attached NEWSLETTER AUGUST 2016.pdf

Hope to see some RMwebbers there!

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• 4 weeks later...

Our next meeting will be at St Andrews Church on Monday 26th September starting at 8pm as usual and it will be a talk on 'Modern Prototype Signal Control Systems' by Jim Summers. Jim has given talks to the Group before on signalling and they are well worth attending.

The new NLG web site is now available see http://thenlg.org.uk/ .

The rest of the programme for 2016 can be found on the website but for convenience it is as below:-

28 November Film night

19 December Christmas social evening.

The current Newsletter is attached NEWSLETTER SEPTEMBER 2016.pdf

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Our next meeting will be at St Andrews Church on Monday 26th September starting at 8pm as usual and it will be a talk on 'Modern Prototype Signal Control Systems' by Jim Summers. ...

Very informative. More to do with control by dispatchers than signalling as such, but now those graphs start to make sense!

One attendee was spotted in the back row making bids on eBay whilst the lecture was going on.  :jester: 

Looking forward to this, if I can get beat the traffic out of Ealing.

EDIT: if anyone needs to use a rivet press or roller, I could bring mine along to the meeting.

...despite the efforts of the committee he is a repeated non paid-up 'visitor'! ....

When Group membership renewal time comes around, you can offer him a special rate, i.e. the standard fee, plus an extra element amounting to the number of non-paid visits...... :triniti:

....more importantly I wonder if he won?????

If I'd known what it was he was bidding on, I could have got "involved" to make things more interesting  :jester:

Edited by Horsetan

• 2 months later...

Last night's Test Track Raffle and Christmas do was quite well-attended, with David Holt demonstrating his LMS Caprotti Five and Crab, with stock, on the NLG circuits. One thing that was observed was a problem at rail joints which caused an occasional fall-off, mostly when propelling.

Also seen (and heard) running round was a J17, accompanied by the unmistakeable smell of hot motor brushes, plus a very expensive-looking Beyer-Peacock / Met 4-4-0T.

The Raffle had some interesting prizes.....but the highlight for me had to be the buffet, which included some very powerful varieties of pickled onion. Very enjoyable.

On 17th June 2017, the NLG will also host the Scalefour Society AGM, so it looks like all hands on deck for the stewarding of this one.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Raffle had some interesting prizes.....but the highlight for me had to be the buffet, which included some very powerful varieties of pickled onion.

Strange Raffle prize..... :jester:

Edited by polybear

• 2 months later...

The Group meets at St Andrews Church, Church Road, Watford, WD17 4PY on the last Monday of each month excepting when that coincides with a bank holiday when it is brought forward by a week.

The next meeting is on Monday 26th February and will be a track and modelling night.

All are welcome.

Regards