Was there a Mac OS version of this software? The link wouldn't work fom my ipad

Paul R

Ditto here, the link doesn't work on OS X Sierra.

That's a great skyline, though, but where are the Rhinogs?  I am guessing they should be visible as they are visible from Borth y Gest across the Glaslyn Estuary.

Paul

I have commissioned my local printshop to produce a backscene 12' x 2'. It will be printed in one piece on vinyl and will have eyelets along the top to enable it to be hung from a lightweight frame. The bottom edge will be held in place with velcro attached to the baseboard frames. The resulting structure will be light in weight and quick to erect and dismantle with no unsightly joints. It will be ready next week and I will post more photos when I have built the supporting contraption.

Stand by for further Charlie Charlie One sitreps.

Chris, I've obviously been away from this thread for too long, as the progress is impressive! I have little knowledge of the prototype (despite living in [New] South Wales!) but the structures and track look great. Code 100 rail is the most commonly used rail on NSW 7mm layouts, as it represents the 65lb rail so common on our lightly-laid "pioneer" branchlines. Two Micro-Engineering sleepers are used per sleeper, and the resulting track looks prototypically 'spidery' and lifelike. Keep up the great work.

Lindsay.

• Like 1

The level crossing gates for Tonfanau Camp are ready for installation, but that will have to wait until the groundwork is completed. The lamps are from the Ixion diesel accessory pack. I painted the cavity for the lens white and then coloured the back of the lens with a transluscent permanent red marker pen. Weathering will be minimal as the photos I have of the real Tonfanau show the gates to be in good condition. Overall, this project cost less than one pound.

Concurrently, I continue to ballast the track, which, excluding the WD sidings, is about two-thirds completed. The backscene is due to be delivered this week and several other tasks are also underway of which more anon.

post-13142-0-48233100-1489568728_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

I collected the backscene for Tonfanau Camp from the printshop yesterday. To recap, it is printed on vinyl, is 12' x 2' and reproduces the background to the real Tonfanau station when facing West. The feet are included to give a size reference.  I will make a simple, lightweight frame from stripwood and the backscene will be hung from brass hooks using the eyelets. It is far superior to some backscene papers that I have trialled and its durability and flexibility will enable it to be used on other layouts should the need arise.

post-13142-0-42096600-1489741094_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-16961700-1489741096_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

The same technique is used on the WWI layout Up the Line and it is very effective,

Now you say you are looking west it makes sense not to have mountains in the background. I hadn't twigged before Doh!

Jonathan

To be fair, there is a 'mountain' directly west of Tonfanau (Mt. Leinster, on the border of Counties Carlow and Wexford in the Republic of Ireland), but you need a really, really good pair of binoculars to see it (LOL).

Apologies, its been a very long day and a horrendous journey home from work tonight.

Steve

The backscene looks really good, is it from the photos I sent you?

Like the idea of a vinyl backscene, better than joins in plywood, where did you get it done?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

The backscene used the photos you sent to me. I cropped two of them to size in Photoshop and then used a free app called Photo Joiner to stitch them together. I then presented a 456MB TIFF file to the local printshop with instructions to produce a 12' x 2' picture. The vinyl is the same as that used for pop-up banners and is surprisingly matt in finish. I am very pleased with the result and very grateful for your photos. Would you like a copy of the file?

Regards,

Chris

Glad to hear they came out well and proved useful, I rather like the fact that your layout's backscene is of the actual location.

Thanks for the offer of a copy of the file, but I'll politely decline if that's alright as I don't know what I'd use it for, I'm just happy that it's served the purpose for your layout.

Cheers,

Andrew

I collected the backscene for Tonfanau Camp from the printshop yesterday. To recap, it is printed on vinyl, is 12' x 2' and reproduces the background to the real Tonfanau station when facing West. The feet are included to give a size reference.  I will make a simple, lightweight frame from stripwood and the backscene will be hung from brass hooks using the eyelets. It is far superior to some backscene papers that I have trialled and its durability and flexibility will enable it to be used on other layouts should the need arise.

How will you be handling the 'ends' of the layout, scenically?  Will the vinyl be along the back only, or will it curve round (assuming you could keep that in tension anyway, especially with track access holes in it)?

Steve

How will you be handling the 'ends' of the layout, scenically?  Will the vinyl be along the back only, or will it curve round (assuming you could keep that in tension anyway, especially with track access holes in it)?

Steve

Steve,

I shall not be bothering with the ends of the layout. As my layouts are for home consupmtion I rarely fuss with disguising exits to the staging areas, which are often contrived and unrealistic. Tonfanau is flat and open so there is no realistic possibility of inserting convincing scenic breaks.  The backscene is primarily to provide a backdrop for photography and I can't leave it permanently erected because it would foul the up-and-over garage door at the "down" end of the layout when I am opening and shutting the door.

Regards,

Chris

Steve,

........... I can't leave it permanently erected because it would foul the up-and-over garage door at the "down" end of the layout when I am opening and shutting the door.

Regards,

Chris

I think I might just have had the solution to that problem fitted!

post-18627-0-21498100-1489962598_thumb.jpg

Now all I need to do is clear away ten years accumulated rubbish and get it plastered to make room for a layout.

Peter

• Like 3

I erected the backscene for Tonfanau Camp today. The photos show some of the station buildings temporarily laid in their intended positions and somehow  MONTY, the Army's Fowler, has got onto the mainline. There is still some fine tuning to do with the backscene and I will have to reassess some of the lighting in the garage. Nevertheless, I am content with the overall result and think the sky looks suitably ashen. .

I have about eight feet of ballasting to complete and then I can motor on with the scenery.

post-13142-0-42605200-1490034836_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-56611400-1490034854_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-11383100-1490034880_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-04059900-1490034883_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-91650000-1490034885_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-77499100-1490034887_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-71174400-1490034889_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-31404100-1490034897_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Concurrent activity continues at Tonfanau Camp. A few days ago I started work on the cafe that will stand at the south end of the layout between the main line and the siding to Tonfanau quarry. My inspiration is the "The Singing Kettle Cafe" that was housed in an old coach body. The basic structure is built from some old used parts from a Slater's GWR 4-wheel coach kit that were kindly given to me by Peter Lloyd ("peter220950" of this parish). The kitchen is the compartment on the left, the dining area is in the middle and the small compartment on the right will be the boghouse. My aim is to produce a model approaching decrepitude that would have had internal walls made from mouldering panels of plasterboard, formica table-tops and and in winter a fuggy atmosphere of dense cigarette smoke, steam from the kettle and the smell of deep frying. I expect it to be very popular with the soldiers from the nearby army camp preferring its cosy charms to the NAAFI.

The big puddle is a must-do.

post-13142-0-24430400-1490093152_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-83988000-1490093164.jpg

• Like 15

That Great Eastern grounded body is a long way from home....

We had a 'Singing Kettle' around here at one time but it closed when it was cut off by the new A55. In olden days it was well busy when motorists used to be 'giving the car a rest' on long journeys.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

That Great Eastern grounded body is a long way from home....

We had a 'Singing Kettle' around here at one time but it closed when it was cut off by the new A55. In olden days it was well busy when motorists used to be 'giving the car a rest' on long journeys.

Did you recognise the Toad in the preceding post?

• RMweb Gold

The backscene looks interesting. Does it hang flat? If not maybe some weights along the bottom like they do with curtains would assist. Although you did mention velcro at the bottom which should do the trick. I would think if you could cut a holoe for a train to exit some velcro to a frame behind the hole could hold it in place. I had thought of painting onto canvass again using eyelets or some sort of clamp at the top which could be rolled up to transport the layout to a show. This looks to be an option.

Don