Image Editor with iMac?

• RMweb Gold

I don't suppose I've tried this before on the iMac, but the image editor really doesn't work. First time it refused to save the file (I'd only used the editor to reduce file size) and it simply went into a loop, saving the file with no data in it. Now I can't even get the editor to come up.

I used Photoshop in the end - rather unfamiliar because the RMweb version generally does the simple things I need. 

Perhaps this is a known incompatibility. As everything here is free, I'm not complaining, just reporting!

Also use the export function but it is a bit of a flat because you have to save the exported file to a defined somewhere and then use that saved version for the attachment.  Also, remember to name the file before exporting it.

• RMweb Gold

Ian the simplest way is to use Preview which has some editing functions and is what I always use to size and crop etc pics to post on RMweb.  Just dump your edited pic on the desktop (or save it to the desktop)  and then pick it off there to attach on RMweb.

So -

1.  Open the picture using Preview

2.  Crop the picture should you wish to do so

3.  Click on 'tools', select 'adjust size' and enter 1600 in the top line fir width or if it is picture format enter 1200 as the height.

4.  Click on 'save as' (or on some version of iMac OS click on help and enter 'sa'  which will bring up the save as option in the drop down menu

5. Alter 'Where' to Desktop and set teh quality slider to a maximum of 559KB or less if you want a  smaller image

Image now on your desktop, the original file in it folder is unaltered.

7. Click on 'Reply with attachments' on your RMweb message then chose file, then attach this file, then finally add to post

and I get this 

post-6859-0-85906900-1463958674_thumb.jpg

I don't suppose I've tried this before on the iMac, but the image editor really doesn't work. First time it refused to save the file (I'd only used the editor to reduce file size) and it simply went into a loop, saving the file with no data in it. Now I can't even get the editor to come up.

I used Photoshop in the end - rather unfamiliar because the RMweb version generally does the simple things I need. 

Perhaps this is a known incompatibility. As everything here is free, I'm not complaining, just reporting!

Watch out for Photoshop unless you have an old licence. You now have to pay a monthly fee to run it which is rather like a fast running tap washing your money down the drain and into Adobes coffers.

If you want more functionality at cheap cost then you will not do better in my opinion than Affinity Photo which is quite cheap for a one time payment. A very good sister product is Affinity Designer which is about as powerful as Adobe Illustrator. Both are well worth a look.

Archived