A builder’s workshop and yard

I have finished the workshop and the yard of J. Peterson Ltd on Grove Road.

Pictures of this small diorama I will use in my Northall story.

For the building I took the garage from Scalescenes using a texture from Clever Models and a self-made sign. I did choice the brick wall from Model Railway Scenery.

For the roof I wanted balanced colours. The simplest one would be using slate. The zinc roofing from Scalescenes has the wrong colour in my case. The other possibility was to create a corrugated roof. The colour from the Scalescenes range gave a balanced colour look.

So I created a corrugated roof for Peterson & Son Ltd. I think a simple photo guide will explain enough.

post-11675-0-55358400-1464280330_thumb.jpg

Corrugated plates about 16 x 22 mm in 4 mm scale. I used 20 mm high as on the texture from Scalescenes.

post-11675-0-79872400-1464280381_thumb.jpg

I created guide lines for gluing the plates in place. Just overlapping each other. From every plate a made the edges black with a pastel pencil to create some shadow lines. 

post-11675-0-57505400-1464280438_thumb.jpg

I used pastel pencils for weathering: sienna and umber are very useful. For more fresh rust you can use orange to brown colours.

For the yard I used the following details:

-      Portland cement sacks

-      A spade

-      Pigments for sand

-      Fine basalt for aggregate

-      Some corrugated plates (photo paper)

For the storage of the aggregate and sand I created staithes from brick.

The cement sacks, spade and fine basalt are from Kotol, a German supplier of excellent detail materials in hO. Because I didn’t use any OO gauge detail materials in the yard I found them very useful to create the right atmosphere for a builder’s yard.

The piles for the aggregate and sand I made from some scrap card and toilet paper. The piles were than painted using pigments and water. The aggregate pile is finished with fine basalt. The pile of sand with Venetian earth pigment.

The corrugated iron plates are from a kit of Clever Models.

post-11675-0-33384200-1464280577_thumb.jpg

And a bird’s eye view. 

post-11675-0-13448600-1464280614_thumb.jpg

And as always suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Job

Good Afternoon,

Just found your post about the builders yard and you mentioned a kit called clever models, could you post web site address for me if they have one as. This a company I have not heard off and it looks good.

Regards

Alan in the sunny and hot Outer Hebrides  

Good Afternoon,

Just found your post about the builders yard and you mentioned a kit called clever models, could you post web site address for me if they have one as. This a company I have not heard off and it looks good.

Regards

Alan in the sunny and hot Outer Hebrides  

The advice of Clever models is to buy the O scale textures and re-size them to 1:76.

• 5 weeks later...

UK O gauge is 7mm/1.43.5 scale so the 57% is correct for that, USA O gauge uses 1:48 scale so for the CleverModels papers being American you need to print at 62.99 to get to 4mm/1:76.2 scale, Europe uses 1:45 scale.

Archived