Oswestry in 4mm & 7mm.

coachmann

What will also be needed (you've probably already sussed it) is something to block off the open ends to prevent access by various creatures.

Yay creature-shutters are a must. I've been inserting temporary ones every night. There is a good chance the fiddle yard will be laid while I'm avoiding the sun.

• RMweb Gold

What will also be needed (you've probably already sussed it) is something to block off the open ends to prevent access by various creatures.

You will also have to watch out for escaping Rhino's from Brent.  :D

There is a good chance the fiddle yard will be laid while I'm avoiding the sun.

Modelling from sun up to sun down:

post-20733-0-46254300-1465416543_thumb.jpg

And beyond:

post-20733-0-29782700-1465416654_thumb.jpg

Finally some weather that is as good as in Wales, and I am 1,000 kilometers to the south!

(By the way, that is not a particularly small work table!)

• RMweb Gold

Sun out and first train on the new extension. An hour later the lot was getting a baptism of the wet stuff....

Trains have to be stopped rapid-style when re-entering the shed .............no track yet!

Sounds just like it was driven by the bloke we had on the first GW150 related special up Sapperton back in 1985 (although he was on a 'Hall')

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff, Larry. You'll have to go for double track so you can sit with a glass of your favourite tipple and watch two trains pass one another. Is the track attached to a bus underneath the boards or are you relying on feeds from where it exits/enters the shed?

What progress! The chuffs look to be right on, did you calibrate using CVs or do you have axle synchronization? The sound reminds me of growing up near the summit of the North Warwickshire Line (Earlswood). Two cylinder mixed traffic and freight locos always seemed to make that distinctive sound and it echoed across to our house along with the squeals from the nearby pig farm.

Rowsley17D, The track is not bus-wired. Focalplane,  chuffs were calibrated using CV's. 

Indoors and especially in a wooden shed, DCC sound gets washed around but it takes on a different aspect outdoors and is much cleaner. It fits in with real-world noise and I often find birdsong surprising on playback seeing as it wasn't exactly shouting at me while recording. 

• RMweb Gold

Rowsley17D, The track is not bus-wired. Focalplane,  chuffs were calibrated using CV's. 

Indoors and especially in a wooden shed, DCC sound gets washed around but it takes on a different aspect outdoors and is much cleaner. It fits in with real-world noise and I often find birdsong surprising on playback seeing as it wasn't exactly shouting at me while recording. 

Most videos of Live Steam Garden railways seem to feature a Blackbird perhaps they like trains.

Don 

Maybe something like this -

post-14569-0-95929100-1465552223.jpg

post-14569-0-93930700-1465552237.jpg

Below the door a wood strip is added up to rail level and sealed on to the felt.  This helps to prevent ingress of water and mates with a self adhesive rubber draught excluding strip attached to the bottom of the door.

• RMweb Gold

It can be a good idea to leave a slight gap between the outside baseboard and the side of the shed with attachment via some spacers that way rain running down the side of the shed can drain away. 

Ken Payne originally had the outdoor loops in boxed in sections however finding too many spiders liked the cubes the one end was covered with a sort of shed extension to allow the loops to be open.

Incidentally people have had trouble with sealed covered tubes getting damp not from water ingress but from the moisture in the warm air in the shed condensing in the tubes. Some provision for ventilation is needed.

Another friend Dick Dimmock built a cover over the approach roads to the shed so that in the event of rain a train could be held there if the station platforms were occupied.

Don

A shufty on RMweb indicated that the chuff rate could not be altered to 4-exhaust beats per driving wheel revolution on the Hornby TTS GWR 'King'. However, disapointment evaporated when I switched Tenders with the GWR 'Star' and effectively transferred DCkits Locoman 'King' sound to the 'King'. It worked fine from the word go and so I cut away the coal space in the Kings tender body to that it would fit on the Star's Tender chassis then went outside for some experimentation.  

The chuff rate had been set to suit the Star's 6' 8½" drivers and still looks right for the Kings 6' 6" drivers. This Locoman Zimo decoder was designed for the Hornby 'King' of course and it works better in this loco than in my 'Star'. I cannot for the life of me get it to coast on 128 speed steps though. It will coast on 27 speed steps, a necessity when moving around the shed yard, but accelerating a train on 27 steps is ...er, well...in lumpy. That apart, this loco is now a great addition to the stud even if the Cambrian line would collapse under it's weight. This short video shows the King accelerating on 128 steps.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aPY4JNONpM

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see progress with your new project Larry.

I think you have persuaded me to try equipping a loco with DCC sound.

What is the pannier fitted with, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,

Nick.

Nice to see progress with your new project Larry.

I think you have persuaded me to try equipping a loco with DCC sound.

What is the pannier fitted with, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick,  It's a Digitrains 648 Zimo decoder (ZS020 listed for the GWR Pannier Tank) and small speaker in cab.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, I have a similar problem with coasting. With some chips you only have to reduce the throttle one notch (on 128 speed steps) and the loco coasts. Others require a large notch reduction before they will. Some will coast all day while others start chuffing again once the lower throttle speed has been reached.

Hi Larry, I have a similar problem with coasting. With some chips you only have to reduce the throttle one notch (on 128 speed steps) and the loco coasts. Others require a large notch reduction before they will. Some will coast all day while others start chuffing again once the lower throttle speed has been reached.

Jonathan

Have you tried varying the momentum setting? This works with Zimo 645 sound chips from Digitrains. I can get a very realistic coast simulation with just a small amount of momentum. Too high a momentum setting and the loco will seem to coast for ever.

Also, just increasing speed slightly and reducing it again can simulate a brief burst of chuffing, again with the momentum set as above.

It does take a lt of experimentation and every motor/chip combination has its own ideal setting, just like the real thing!

• RMweb Premium

Beware of the momentum button if you're using NCE throttles. The results can be unpleasant (according to what's been posted on here in the past).

As usual with anything I do, I see potential for other things. Watching the 'King' going around the continuous run brought to mind expresses thundering along the length and breadth of the garden on a double track mainline! Why do I need a station?  :jester:   Commitments make it inevitable that I get back to work soon and so with only the fiddle yard tracks to complete (they are awaiting fish-plates), there will probably be a break shortly.

Looking really good Larry bet your made up with progress to date. Watching the clip of the Manor with my eyes shut and it sounds like Foxcote Manor leaving Carrog towards Corwen which I can hear from my garden........wonderful  :good:  :good:  :good:

Archived