Oswestry in 4mm & 7mm.

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the tip of smearing silicone on the plywood edge, which I will follow up,  and application for a ringside seat when it is being knocked down haha.    Roofing felt should in theory give good protection if put on correctly. I wonder if one can buy asphalt in small quantities to melt in a pan to coat joints? 

You can buy brush applied bitumen sealant in a tin from Wickes they do several types. 

I wonder if one can buy asphalt in small quantities to melt in a pan to coat joints? 

I just checked diy.com and B&Q sell various asphalt paints for roofing.  This is something I have been thinking about for some time and I like the silicone idea but would asphalt have a longer shelf life?  Oh dear, another unintentional pun.

I see 81C has suggested Wickes' products so it looks like we are on the same track.

Edit to add:  Larry, do you intend to put plexiglass/perspex over the outdoor running rails?

Larry, do you intend to put plexiglass/perspex over the outdoor running rails?

It's a sound idea but would I hear the locos chuffing? Seriously though, I will just have to see how things go to see if anything needs adding such as crash barriers. I really want it left open so that I can enjoy seeing and hearing trains in the open air. The covered extension at the other end of the shed is a different kettle of fish as it disguises a 28" radius mainline and give the feeling of trains going and coming from somewhere seeing as they go very quiet on the foam inlay. 

• RMweb Gold

I just checked diy.com and B&Q sell various asphalt paints for roofing.  This is something I have been thinking about for some time and I like the silicone idea but would asphalt have a longer shelf life?  Oh dear, another unintentional pun.

I see 81C has suggested Wickes' products so it looks like we are on the same track.

Edit to add:  Larry, do you intend to put plexiglass/perspex over the outdoor running rails?

Being in the building trade I prefered Wickes products to some of the mostly cheap and nasty cr@p B&Q sells. :nono:  

Being in the building trade I prefered Wickes products to some of the mostly cheap and nasty cr@p B&Q sells. :nono:

I would agree but you have to admit B&Q have a very memorable web address! In the Cambrian region Huws Gray are a great store.

The creosoted boards were covered in roofing felt today with just two joins....

post-6680-0-50554100-1465304232.jpg

post-6680-0-18331900-1465304231.jpg 

A pice of wood was used when hammering in the large head roofing tacks to reduce 'bounce'....

post-6680-0-92869700-1465304229.jpg

The job was completed by 12.30am.....

post-6680-0-40235800-1465304234.jpg

....And the second joint was much neater too....

post-6680-0-97079500-1465304235.jpg

Roofing felt was carried into the shed for a few inches bedded into the black stuff just in case....

post-6680-0-15819800-1465304237.jpg

I expected it to get a baptism of rain at 1pm when thunder rumbled over the mountain but there were only a few spots and now its overcast, humid and hot.

The creosoted boards were covered in roofing felt today with just two joins....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 6.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 5B.jpg

A pice of wood was used when hammering in the large head roofing tacks to reduce 'bounce'....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 5.jpg

The job was completed by 12.30am.....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 7.jpg

....And the second joint was much neater too....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 8.jpg

Roofing felt was carried into the shed for a few inches bedded into the black stuff just in case....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 9.jpg

I expected it to get a baptism of rain at 1pm when thunder rumbled over the mountain but there were only a few spots and now its overcast, humid and hot.

Bet the neighbours loved you Larry, hahhaha

Looks superb, very neat indeed.

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad to see this new incarnation  appear. I don't know how I managed to miss it for the best part of a week, but I shall look forward to watching progress. from now on. I'm still half expecting to see you do a Pendon, and build a bigger shed around the old one.

Thanks

Dave

Bet the neighbours loved you Larry, hahhaha

Looks superb, very neat indeed.

They wouldn't have heard me above the thunder ha ha. 12 noon + ½ hour of course....

I'm glad to see this new incarnation  appear. I don't know how I managed to miss it for the best part of a week, but I shall look forward to watching progress. from now on. I'm still half expecting to see you do a Pendon, and build a bigger shed around the old one.

Thanks, Dave

Thanks Dave, I hope that something assists others. But from now on it is the usual grind adding all the boring bits such as a station, coaling stage, backscene, more buildings,  signalling and so-on........ :cry:

• RMweb Gold

You seem to have got it down nice and flat if it starts to bubble at any stage a warm the felt with a hot gun and use old rolling pin to smooth it out, when is the grand opening ?.

You seem to have got it down nice and flat if it starts to bubble at any stage a warm the felt with a hot gun and use old rolling pin to smooth it out, when is the grand opening ?.

It was a very hot morning and the felt soon went malleable after being unrolled on the lawn. The Code 100 track should keep it flat where it needs to be flat. This is the new view of track continuing outside the shed....

post-6680-0-35617000-1465326296.jpg

.....and re-entering on the other side. Next up, the fiddle yard....

post-6680-0-63549900-1465326297.jpg

Some members might recall I copped out when Greenfield was built and laid the curve within the shed with an awkward duck-under. Maybe if I had sunk some posts, Greenfield might still be with us....

post-6680-0-59311500-1465326298.jpg

There is still a duck-under but there is much more clearance and lateral space outdoors. The frame is on top of the board....

post-6680-0-60388900-1465326299.jpg

General view. 'Avalanche shelters' have yet to be still to be added over the two holes.  Superelevation will help drain off some of the rainwater, but drainage holes will be cut when I know where they will need to be needed..... 

post-6680-0-74313300-1465326300_thumb.jpg

The outside section covering looks very neat Coachman, I will be using roofing felt for my outside section as well, and that looks nice and fine.

You certainly don't hang around with your projects, but they ooze quality as well.

Jinty ;)

What sort of a back-scene are you going to paint on that garden fence, Larry? :no:

Haha I like it. I could remove the fence and have Tower Hill as a natural backdrop...

Nice shorts Larry.....

Had 'em for years along with the army belt. A few years ago a woman young enough to be my daughter said I looked disgusting because long shorts were then in fashion. Balls to that and today I'm in fashion!   :boast:

• RMweb Premium

It was a very hot morning and the felt soon went malleable after being unrolled on the lawn. The Code 100 track should keep it flat where it needs to be flat. This is the new view of track continuing outside the shed....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 10.jpg

.....and re-entering on the other side. Next up, the fiddle yard....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 11.jpg

Some members might recall I copped out when Greenfield was built and laid the curve within the shed with an awkward duck-under. Maybe if I had sunk some posts, Greenfield might still be with us....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 12.jpg

There is still a duck-under but there is much more clearance and lateral space outdoors. The frame is on top of the board....

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 13.jpg

General view. 'Avalanche shelters' have yet to be still to be added over the two holes.  Superelevation will help drain off some of the rainwater, but drainage holes will be cut when I know where they will need to be needed..... 

attachicon.gifWEB Garden board 14.jpg

Coach, are you going to provide any weather/livestock protection for those holes in the wall when the layout is not in use?

• RMweb Gold

Haha I like it. I could remove the fence and have Tower Hill as a natural backdrop...

Had 'em for years along with the army belt. A few years ago a woman young enough to be my daughter said I looked disgusting because long shorts were then in fashion. Balls to that and today I'm in fashion!   :boast:

I'd be careful about mentioning shorts and balls in the same post.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps they were hanging down !!!.  :biggrin_mini:

The wooden 'tunnels' will be coated once all the sealant is hardened. They have to be removable so that the rails can be cleaned, but they are a tight fit between the two runners and the rainstrip above and each side of the 'tunnel'...

post-6680-0-46800400-1465403054.jpg

Archived