Oswestry in 4mm & 7mm.

coachmann

Having built a BLT because I liked yours, i now find myself lagging two railways and one scale behind you.  

:)

Build lots of small layouts instead of one big one. Then you can have a mix of scales and type of layout (and gauges in my case) :).

The one think that looks slightly awry on the King is the inside cylinder cover assembly.

It looks too high to me. The frame extensions seem to not run through as I would expect them to.

Is that as it is on the Hornby model or has that one come slightly loose?

Spot on Keith. The real front frames are ever so slightly above the running plate, however, in the Hornby models instance I had not pressed the 'pod' fully home. The whole loco is a very clever design with the inside cover, smokebox wrapper and steam pipes separate fittings to allow these locos to represent the various changes that took place in the King's lifetime.  But I very much consider Hornby's letdown is the non-flywheel chassis. I cannot remember if the Star had a flywheel, but I do know the latter would crawl along extremely smoothly like other flywheel-fitted locos such as the Hall, 2-8-0T and Duke of Glos. My two Kings wouldnt, although they behave slightly better at ultra slow speed on DC than DCC.

OSWESTRY in 7mm...

Track arrived today enabling me to dispose of the paper point templates and to see how things really go together. The first casualty was a curved point (wrong radius) and so it was replaced with plain curved track. Not a problem actually. The sweeping curve into the station from Whitchurch is preserved. The Oswestry Bay will take one auto coach and loco at the moment. The baseboard will be widened in due course where tracks seemingly shoot of into mid air.....

post-6680-0-84456800-1476809634.jpg

It is basically what I could do with 0 gauge to make it resemble the 4mm arrangement. In fact I managed to get in a two road loco shed at the door end again but the big compromise is the lead has had to be taken off the bay track. If a loco wants to go off shed, the bay will have to be empty... but I dinna care. Having an MPD is more important operationally. Serious thought is being given to placing the points at the Welshpool end onto the covered extension in order to lengthen the platforms and bay.... 

post-6680-0-41956700-1476809636.jpg

Larry that's looking good.  I'm more or less at the same stage using Peco templates. The track lays out to a much larger footprint than I would have imagined.  My boards look to be around the same size as yours.

I plan to construct my own turnouts from C&L and Peco components.  I see that I'd better get a move on.

John

Larry that's looking good.  I'm more or less at the same stage using Peco templates. The track lays out to a much larger footprint than I would have imagined.  My boards look to be around the same size as yours.

I plan to construct my own turnouts from C&L and Peco components.  I see that I'd better get a move on.

John

When it came to turnouts, I am strapped for space in a 14 foot shed and so Peco's points looked to be the best option rather than long sweeping handbuilt ones. There is no rush, as I went back to work today because of the cold weather. It allows me time in between jobs to plan things properly. Holes to be dug, new post planting, garden boards to be cut to radius and so forth. If it was March and fine weather ahead I would be out of the stocks like a Dachshund, but it ain't.

• RMweb Premium

But I very much consider Hornby's letdown is the non-flywheel chassis. I cannot remember if the Star had a flywheel, but I do know the latter would crawl along extremely smoothly like other flywheel-fitted locos such as the Hall, 2-8-0T and Duke of Glos. My two Kings wouldnt, although they behave slightly better at ultra slow speed on DC than DCC.

According to Hornby's service sheets the Star does not have a flywheel but as you say was a pretty smooth runner, however the Gresley P2 did have a flywheel and was one of the less than smooth models!

Cheers

Keith

Archived