triang em2

I have seen parts and/or all models going on Ebay cheap, and was wondering how good or bad the model is? Like, is it to scale, are the bogies the correct size? As long as these are ok, would be able to bodge the rest from other places.

Cheesy

I konw of the msl kit, but being brass, me and it would not go together well (also, too expensive for me). I also know about the silver fox? resin body, but if that uses the same bogie sideframes as the 10000 model, designed to fit the old lima 47 chassis, they are too short. Of corse, there is the option of using a resin body or a triang body, and seeing if msl would supply a set of bogie sideframes (if they did, you could also use these with the 10000 kit).

Cheesy

Of corse, if I did this, Heljan would anounce a limited run model.

The Tri-ang model is a highly desirable collector's item and comes at collector's prices! :(

It has the standard Tri-ang power bogie with its attendent pros and cons and, like all Tri-ang locos, won't pull the skin off a rice pudding without the aid of Magnadesion or extra weight (plenty of room for the latter).

Basic detail as would be expected from the period and green self coloured plastic (later and rarer examples in blue). The pantographs are functional and the model will run from overhead or the track.

Avoid the Trix EM1 though. Not because there is anything wrong with it basically, but because it's to 1/80 scale. (Collector's prices apply here too!)

• Like 1

My idea was to see if could pick up bits of em2 model (body, bogie sideframes and under tanks) cheep(ish). Then repowerthem with something proper, add detail and pantos. If the bodies and/or bogies are to scale, it will give me something to start with.

Cheesy

• Agree 1

There shouldn't be any problem with the bogies - I think they're the same as other models - I'll check. Getting hold of a spare body is a different matter.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=triang+em2

There are the main body parts, but we're looking at £50 ish BIN. Complete locos are £175+ BIN - more than double Tri-ang's price allowing for inflation. :unsure::O You could try for the auction 'Pandora' at £20 something though. With two power bogies, she might actually pull something.

If you wish to see what a msl hobbies kit involves i am building a em1 at the minute. look here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10738-msl-hobbies-class-76-em1/ I'm just about to add some new photos up but beware the msl kit is a pain in the khyber pass as i am about to explain.

I will be doing the em2 later this year have you thought of the silverfox version??

Simon.

For a 50 year old piece of tooling it's really very good. Though the bogies are short to scale but the bodywork is pretty much spot on. Just a pity they moulded in ribs for the green livery's orange lining.

Interesting fact: the unpowered bogie on the EM2 is on its own separate clip-in floor and there's the fitting moulded in the bodyshell to pivot a second motor bogie, provision not repeated on any other models using the same family of power bogies (Brush Type 2, EE Type 3 and Hymek).

If you could get hold of some spare unpowered bogies (which are in black polystyrene) you could probably cut and shut them to the correct scale wheelbase (as well as cutting out the webbing). It would take serious milling machinery to do that to the metal power bogies though!

This started out as a spare EM2 bodyshell I picked up at a swapmeet, minus underframe, which was another swapmeet purchase several years later. The bogies are resin castings taken from another EM2 and the pantographs are Lima.

Power is by a Hornby ringfield from a (very) badly repainted 37, also a swapmeet purcahse. Wire handrails and SE Finecast flush glazing, I think, did it quite a few years ago. Lining 'ribs' filed/scraped off.

post-110-126821656516_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This started out as a spare EM2 bodyshell I picked up at a swapmeet, minus underframe, which was another swapmeet purchase several years later. The bogies are resin castings taken from another EM2 and the pantographs are Lima.

Power is by a Hornby ringfield from a (very) badly repainted 37, also a swapmeet purcahse. Wire handrails and SE Finecast flush glazing, I think, did it quite a few years ago. Lining 'ribs' filed/scraped off.

post-110-126821656516_thumb.jpg

Nice work there! As others have said, it's a surprisingly good body moulding for its time and the model benefits from a better power unit, removal of moulded-on lining and some detailing. Same comments apply to the Brush Type 2 (which even has a fully lettered works plate - magnifying glasses out if you don't believe me) of the same vintage.

David

I have seen parts and/or all models going on Ebay cheap, and was wondering how good or bad the model is? Like, is it to scale, are the bogies the correct size? As long as these are ok, would be able to bodge the rest from other places.

Cheesy

I have already trodden this path with a Tri-ang EM2. My answer to a rebuild was as follows.

The body was been detailed with seperate handrails, lamp brackets, etc and the moulded lining carefully removed. The chassis is a heavily modified Bachmann class 37, with new bogie sideframes constructed from scratch using plasticard and other bits from the junkbox, as the Tri-ang models has one cast, and one plastic bogie of only moderate detail. However by using the class 37 as a base, the new bogie wheelbase remains, like the Tri-ang model, a little too short, but with careful arrangement of the bogie centres this is not too noticable. No RTR chassis seem to possess the correct wheelbase measurements. The Pantographs are from Judith Edge, and though fiddly to build, they give a more realistic appearance than is given by using other ready assembled H0 pantographs.

I enclose a pictue of my conversion, and I have placed further views in my Gallery 'North Eastern Electrics'

post-8542-126822791045_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If you do feel inclined to stick with the Triang chassis, its worth mentioning that replacement wheelsets were obtainable from Ultrascale - I'm not sure if this is still the case but worth a call. As far as the body goes, the two main issues are removal of the raised mould for the lining, and replacement of the moulded handrails - you need lots and lots of handrail knobs! Both models shown illustrate these two refinements, and how interesting that both are of the Electric Blue variety. I don't know offhand if any in this colour ever carried half yellow panels - at least one EM1 did as I recall a photo in "Traction" some time ago. Back in the 1980's I did a green one, and a black one awaits painting as I write (as it has for some while) - although I tremble with dread everytime I think of the lining!

Good luck, John.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Although I wonder if a correct set of sideframes would be avalible from msl (being a kit based on no rtr chassis, I can`t see it being wrong, but if even this is wrong, why???). Although checking bogie wheelbases, the 40 minus the pony truck is closest (about 0.5mm out). Was thinking of using a msl bogies and awdrive setup.

Cheesy

PS-you forgot to put wipers on the windscreen :-]

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Although I wonder if a correct set of sideframes would be avalible from msl (being a kit based on no rtr chassis, I can`t see it being wrong, but if even this is wrong, why???). Although checking bogie wheelbases, the 40 minus the pony truck is closest (about 0.5mm out). Was thinking of using a msl bogies and awdrive setup.

Cheesy

At the time I did it I was considering fitting the marine type circular wiper, which the real loco carried for a while ;)

Cheesy

Curses! you noticed the windscreen wipers, or lack of them, they're still on my "to do" list.

Yes the class 40 bogies would be a suitable alternative, giving a 8' 0" + 8' 0" wheelbase against a prototype 8' 0" + 7' 8" wheelbase, though this would mean a new shorter boiler tank between the bogies, as clearance would be very tight. My use of the shorter 7' 0" + 7' 0" class 37 bogies came about as initially I was going to use two modified plastic Tri-ang side frames, that failing to give what I wanted, I tried using Silver Fox sideframes, but these being originally for 10000/10001 the secondary springing is incorrect, hence my use of a scratchbuilt set. These have a subtle bit of lengthening at each end to take up any gaps left by using a shorter wheelbase. You pays your money, and . . . . . . Still she does look tasty on a set of maroon Mark 1's.

Remember though, after 1959 most EM2 hauled trains over the Woodhead line had only a five car consist.

Just need to find out if msl can provide a set of sideframes then compare the cost of a msl drive setup against a hollywood foundry setup, and wait for a em2 to come up cheep on Ebay.

As to haulage, in one of the books I own (cannot remember which), there is a picture of a em2 on the wath branch, hauling a fitted van train. Cannot remember exactly, but the caption stated it was decending the bank without a added banker, due to not eeding the added brake force, and might have been a driver training run. And the em2 were designed to have the same haulage as a em1, but using the extra powered axles to provide a higher top speed and higher continuos rating at higher speed, although what the point of a higher speed when the woodhead was a 65 mph line?

And I beleave before the 25kv ac system was proposed, there was a plan to electrify more lines at 1.5kv dc, incuding london birmigham, GWR not LMR.

Cheesy

• Informative/Useful 1

Just need to find out if msl can provide a set of sideframes then compare the cost of a msl drive setup against a hollywood foundry setup, and wait for a em2 to come up cheep on Ebay.

As to haulage, in one of the books I own (cannot remember which), there is a picture of a em2 on the wath branch, hauling a fitted van train. Cannot remember exactly, but the caption stated it was decending the bank without a added banker, due to not eeding the added brake force, and might have been a driver training run. And the em2 were designed to have the same haulage as a em1, but using the extra powered axles to provide a higher top speed and higher continuos rating at higher speed, although what the point of a higher speed when the woodhead was a 65 mph line?

And I beleave before the 25kv ac system was proposed, there was a plan to electrify more lines at 1.5kv dc, incuding london birmigham, GWR not LMR.

Cheesy

Yes, the LNER and later BR(E) planned further extensions to the 1500v systems, and for a short while the 1500v DC system was the BR standard system. Originally 27 EM2's were ordered, though Mr A H Peppercorn personally cut this to a mere 7 machines.

As for speed the EM2's could really move. When the Dutch Railways NS first considered purchasing the class, one locomotive was taken out of store and gave a demonstration return run over the Pennines. During this run it certainly ran well in excess of 65MPH, some observers at the time estimated that 90+ MPH was briefly attained, and what ever the true speed might have really been, the ride was exciting enough for the Dutch to stipulate they never went that fast ever again!

• Like 1

Yes, the LNER and later BR(E) planned further extensions to the 1500v systems, and for a short while the 1500v DC system was the BR standard system.

Kings Cross - Grantham (plus the Nottingham line as far as Colwick Yard) was supposedly being planned at one point just after 1948. That would have given the EM2s an decent run, and possibly ties in with an extra 20 of them being ordered.

But never build, as only the seven where shipped to Holland... One became parts-donor, the other 6 entered service after an extensive rebuild, mainly on the Den Haag to Venlo route. Of the seven, nearly half (3) survive: one in Holland, two in the UK, including the one in the NRM. The Dutch machine is operational and based at Rotterdam-Noord.

The NRM has an EM1, not an EM2. The preserved EM2s in the UK are at the Midland Railway Centre, and the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. The Manchester one is still in Dutch livery and condition. Manchester also has a cab section from an EM1.

I have already trodden this path with a Tri-ang EM2. My answer to a rebuild was as follows.

The body was been detailed with seperate handrails, lamp brackets, etc and the moulded lining carefully removed. The chassis is a heavily modified Bachmann class 37, with new bogie sideframes constructed from scratch using plasticard and other bits from the junkbox, as the Tri-ang models has one cast, and one plastic bogie of only moderate detail. However by using the class 37 as a base, the new bogie wheelbase remains, like the Tri-ang model, a little too short, but with careful arrangement of the bogie centres this is not too noticable. No RTR chassis seem to possess the correct wheelbase measurements. The Pantographs are from Judith Edge, and though fiddly to build, they give a more realistic appearance than is given by using other ready assembled H0 pantographs.

I enclose a pictue of my conversion, and I have placed further views in my Gallery 'North Eastern Electrics'

Like it, and the other stuff in your photo gallery - I'm a keen advocate of the "semi-retro" approach to modelling myself, and as a big fan of Farish 00-gauge stuff was impressed with your re-working of the GF Bulleid Pacific.

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

ive just resprayed a triang 77 in all over black with red bufferbeams for bryan at howes, he's managed to remotor one with dcc, sound to follow.

does anyone have any colour pics of one in its original black livery, particularly the roof area?

ive just resprayed a triang 77 in all over black with red bufferbeams for bryan at howes, he's managed to remotor one with dcc, sound to follow.

does anyone have any colour pics of one in its original black livery, particularly the roof area?

I have seen several pictures of black EM2s, typically I can't find any of them now!

This is supposed to link to the EM2 Society, but I can't get it to work, get carried away watching thetrains go by :D

http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/

You could try getting in touch through the MRC at Butterley.

The lining is an absolute pig to do, I've done a couple of EM1s and a fellow club member has an EM2.