ROD Continental loco's in 'HO/OO'...do any exist?

Hello all, I've just bought a book about the Railway Operating Division, (ROD), in World War One, and it seems that not only did they 'take' UK loco's over to France and Belgium, but they used locally sourced loco's as well.

The question is, do any R-T-R models, (or even kits), of 1890-1910 French or Belgian loco's exist? Not being into continental loco's, I was wondering if any of the RM Webbers could help??

Once again, many thanks, (as always), in advance for any help, advice or ideas given.

Grant

Hi Grant,

The best i can suggest is to have a look at the DJH H0 catalog here;

http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/ho-gauge.asp?Country=France

There are quite a few French designs but i know so little, i could not possibly say whether any of these would be suitable. Having had "Continental Modeller" for a long time, i am aware that period Belgian layouts have been built - evidently with Belgian locos running. What makes they are, again i don't know but i suspect they may have been of the extremely limited production output of local artisans and very expensive!

However, you could always try emailing a Belgian modelling magazine: http://www.modelspoormagazine.be/ (slow loading!) even if you only write in English (politely!) i'm sure you'll get a response as i find the Belgians a very nice people.

Cheers,

John E.

Pay dirt....:

WW1 Baldwin locos for France

The give-away is "Pershing" - the US commander in WW1

The French reads: (All regions) Constructed in América by Baldwin, these Consolidation [2-8-0] engines were introduced on all French systems to a total of over 2000 locos by the end of the 1914-1918 War. A MASHIMA motor and ?preassembled gearbox are included in this kit. A sélection of number plates for SNCF régions and the former companies are provided

There is also this:

Nord/ROD 2-62T

I am not absolutely sure of the French, but the blurb says

Built by BEYER PEACOCK 14 locomotives of this séries were ?ordered [prélevées] for the R.O.D. for the needs of the British Army on the front in the north of France. After the war they ran in the Paris suburbs then in the Lille suburbs.

I would have said , in principle, that you would be looking for Nord or Est locos introduced before 1914, as these were the companies serving the areas of the fighting

This might also be a possibility:

Nord 4-4-4T

as it seems to have been built 1902-6

and this:

Nord 4-6-0

Alarmingly expensive, though. Puts City of Truro in a whole new perspective

Thanks one and all, again, the RM Webbers haven't let me down...but I think I'll give DJH's products a miss...mainly due to price!!

I think the road to travel is down the "supplied from Britain" route, as engines from far afield as the Great Western and the Caledonian railways served in France & Northern Belgium. I may also send Modelspoor an e-mail, (translated into French/Walloon/Belgian, using an on-line translator), and see if they can be of assistance. Surely our continetal cousins have layouts based in late Victorian/Early Edwardian period, and they must engines to suit :unsure: ??

Other than that, I'll keep my eyes peeled at swapmeets and toyfairs for something that might be converted/back dated, to suit man needs.

Once again, thanks for all who replied.

Grant

...I may also send Modelspoor an e-mail, (translated into French/Walloon/Belgian, using an on-line translator)...

I would strongly recommend you to write in English if you are not familiar with French or Flemish. Many Belgians have good English and prefer to be addressed in English than the 'wrong' Belgian (Flemish or French) language. Avoid on-line translators. They have improved enormously, but are still capable of generating embarrassing errors :lol: If you must use them, it is always a good idea to try translating the first translation into a third language and then back into English. This will often highlight most errors.

Nick

....is always a good idea to try translating the first translation into a third language and then back into English. This will often highlight most errors.

Which oddly enough is probably how mainland Chinese translate from Mandarin into English. Loads of amusing errors. A bit like this one:

post-6879-126822184808_thumb.jpg

Pay dirt....:

WW1 Baldwin locos for France

The give-away is "Pershing" - the US commander in WW1

The French reads: (All regions) Constructed in América by Baldwin, these Consolidation [2-8-0] engines were introduced on all French systems to a total of over 2000 locos by the end of the 1914-1918 War. A MASHIMA motor and ?preassembled gearbox are included in this kit. A sélection of number plates for SNCF régions and the former companies are provided

The reference to 'preassembled' refers to valve gear, not to a gear box. 'Une bielle' is a locomotive connecting rod, according to my copy of 'Robert'. These kits are very nice, but (to my eyes, at least) eye-wateringly expensive.

I would concur with the comment about writing in clear English- the Belgians are very sensitive about been addressed in the wrong one of their national languages.

I was thinking of looking at Bachmann USA stuff, as I would also like an American S160, (I think that's the correct designation), that was used in the UK, (and europe), during the mid 40's by the USATC, (United States Army Transportation Corps).

I also beleive some of these were used, or maybe even passed into, Southern Railway ownership.

Grant

I was thinking of looking at Bachmann USA stuff, as I would also like an American S160, (I think that's the correct designation), that was used in the UK, (and europe), during the mid 40's by the USATC, (United States Army Transportation Corps).

I also beleive some of these were used, or maybe even passed into, Southern Railway ownership.

Grant

The S160s-which were 2-8-0s- were used in the UK prior to D-Day (and huge numbers were stored at locations like Rogerstone, near Newport), but then went off to mainland Europe. There were also other types, amongst them several types of diesel (which lasted in Italy, and possibly elsewhere, until the beginning of the last decade), and the 0-6-0t. The Southern bought a dozen or so of these for use as dock shunters at Southampton, though examples eventually ended up at Ashford Works and Meldon quarry. THe Yugoslavs copied the design, with examples being built into the 1960s.

Grant

See here for a possible model.http://www.alaskarails.org/

The S160s had a bit of a problem with the boilers exploding. They ran on LNER metals as well. There is a lot of suitable rolling stock available from the continental manufacturers for both WW1 and WW11 periods including some US prototypes. Fleischmann have done the early stock and Sachsen and Klein the latter. For WW11 you can of course use both Gresley and Stanier stock as they ran in several countries.

Please add your vote to the poll for a J36 if you havn't done so already. Then there will be another suitable loco. Got to get a plug in for the Scottish group. :P

Bernard

See here for a possible model.http://www.alaskarails.org/

The S160s had a bit of a problem with the boilers exploding. They ran on LNER metals as well. There is a lot of suitable rolling stock available from the continental manufacturers for both WW1 and WW11 periods including some US prototypes. Fleischmann have done the early stock and Sachsen and Klein the latter. For WW11 you can of course use both Gresley and Stanier stock as they ran in several countries.

Please add your vote to the poll for a J36 if you havn't done so already. Then there will be another suitable loco. Got to get a plug in for the Scottish group. :P

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I've got a few of the old ABS warwells stashed away, so wagons aren't a problem, and at a push I could use the Bachmann WD Loco, but i really like the look of the S160. the problem would be that this loco would be in 'HO', and the warwells would be in 'OO'. Ouch!!

Ah well, not to worry, (for now), as I have plenty of other projects on the go.

Grant

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I just bounced across this thread which is addressing exactly the same issue I am dealing with. Other than British loco's there were many US and Canadian built loco's, as well as a few Australian, French and Belgium ones. Then there is the bigger issue of the rolling stock, mainly French and Belgium practice. So does one go the OO route with undersized European rolling stock and US loco's, or go HO and forget about the UK loco's and occasional wagon. Which then brings on the LROC's 009 or HOf. With time Shapeways and similar services could be a friend in all of this in producing the needed items in OO or in HO.

My interest is in recreating the areas the Australian Broad and Narrow Gauge companies worked, I have original maps of a yard built by a Canadian Engr Coy as well as the DDMovts map of the Ypres Salient during Passchendale to work from.

Has anyone tried to model the 9" and 12" railway howitzers commonly used at Ypres?

Cheers,

Chris

Archived