Warrington Bank Quay - The Northern Approach - OO DCC

Wild Boar Fell

Looking good! If it’s what I think, I’ve got a spare 365 Networker end unit and a spare Bachmann 150 sat ready for when I decide to make a layout to run it on....

Jack.

• Like 2

Cheers Mick, I'm doomed then.

A bit more progress today experimenting with adding the bodyend taper to the Mk3 body profile. Think I now have most of the information I need to do some plug door Mk3 conversions (Chiltern ones) at a later date.

Hopefully the photos should give a better clue as to what this is going to be part of.

attachicon.gif20180706_164946.jpgattachicon.gif20180706_164958.jpgattachicon.gif20180706_164936.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Interesting... I've always had in the back of my mind using the shells of old Hornby short mk3s for something similar...

Cheers Mick, I'm doomed then.

A bit more progress today experimenting with adding the bodyend taper to the Mk3 body profile. Think I now have most of the information I need to do some plug door Mk3 conversions (Chiltern ones) at a later date.

Hopefully the photos should give a better clue as to what this is going to be part of.

20180706_164946.jpg 20180706_164958.jpg 20180706_164936.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1049904

Looking good! If it’s what I think, I’ve got a spare 365 Networker end unit and a spare Bachmann 150 sat ready for when I decide to make a layout to run it on....

Jack.

Cheers Jack, nail on the head sir! Ah see I don't have a suitable cab as yet, options include the Bachmann 166 or the Hornby 466, not sure which is the better starting point tbh. I've got a spare 150 vehicle but I think I'll save it for making the 950 at some point or a Hybrid 150 unit.

That JMA of yours is looking a beast, enjoy the trip states-side.

My plan initially is to build an unpowered and probably unlit 325, this then has the option of being loco hauled (found a photo of a 37 hauled 325 the other day) or can be sandwiched by a powered & lit unit and a trailing lit unit. The 64ft Replica Railways chassis will probably be used as the motive power.

Interesting... I've always had in the back of my mind using the shells of old Hornby short mk3s for something similar...

Hmm, you wouldn't be after a 'Dusty Bin' would you? If so, these bogie sides someone has made for their 'Plastic Pigs' may be of use for the PMS (no connection but will probably be ordering these at some point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-GAUGE-WESSEX-EMU-CLASS-442-CAST-POWER-BOGIE-COSMETIC-SIDEFRAMES-MK3-EMU/263781181285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thanks for those, I haven't seen those before but something doesn't look quite right to me (just my opinion). In my non-modelling life I have studied various drawings and CADs of these doors and their surroundings, so I feel I need to do them justice. They are a complete world away from the HST trailer sliding power doors (2017 mod) that I was fortunate enough to see examples of whilst visiting 'The Plant'.

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Some more progress on Sunday (except during the British Grand Prix, obviously!), with further bodywork improvements taking place on the PCV previously shown in the blog. One side has now had the roller shutter doors added, but awaits the door edge strips and the detail at the bottom of the doors. The vehicle ends also require detailing. Once a suitable finish has been achieved on the 'A' side, this will then be repeated on the 'B' side. This (should!) remove the chance of me mucking both sides up simultaneously.

post-13109-0-51816900-1531095205_thumb.jpg

The bodywork of the Class 325 TPMV vehicle has continued with the windows on both sides being blanked and smoothed. The tapering profile has also been created on all corners now and a start has been made on the door recesses on one side only (see above logic). The photos should hopefully provide an interesting comparison to the original Oxford Rail Mk3a behind it, which should become the MPMV, or if I am feeling really bold (daft) maybe either DTPMV A or DTPMV B. 

post-13109-0-51816900-1531095205_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-35360900-1531095263_thumb.jpg

Work on the body ends needs to be progressed soon although I cannot find many decent photos of these, showing the gangway recess blank. Additionally the roof vents and BILs need adding.

I must say I am quite enjoying this project already and desperately having to remind myself that the 'Plastic Pigs' never ventured anyway near WBQ. No stop it, none of this DC malarky! Today's added bonus was the Spitfire, Lancaster and Hurricane of the BBMF passing directly over the modelling room on the return from Southport, along with a Bell Huey (that sound is rather iconic) later in the day.

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

post-13109-0-28872000-1531095167_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm, you wouldn't be after a 'Dusty Bin' would you? If so, these bogie sides someone has made for their 'Plastic Pigs' may be of use for the PMS (no connection but will probably be ordering these at some point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-GAUGE-WESSEX-EMU-CLASS-442-CAST-POWER-BOGIE-COSMETIC-SIDEFRAMES-MK3-EMU/263781181285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

Already have a 321, so was actually thinking either a 365 (I have some spare ends), or attempting a 313.

I've seen a couple of 317s made from Bachy 150 conversions that come out quite well. I swear I can remember seeing 365 and 317 working in multiple at Peterborough and Ely around the year 2000 for WAGN but can find no reference.

A 325 would also be a nice 'easy' creation, but I'm not sure they ever reached the GEML.... rule 1 though!

Already have a 321, so was actually thinking either a 365 (I have some spare ends), or attempting a 313.

I've seen a couple of 317s made from Bachy 150 conversions that come out quite well. I swear I can remember seeing 365 and 317 working in multiple at Peterborough and Ely around the year 2000 for WAGN but can find no reference.

A 325 would also be a nice 'easy' creation, but I'm not sure they ever reached the GEML.... rule 1 though!

Ah yes of course, I should have remembered that...

post-13109-0-75329400-1531135216_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-92021400-1531135255_thumb.jpg

Can't believe that was 2015!

I was actually trying to find conversion parts to make a post 'Happy Train' Class 365 incase I end up with some cab-less 466 bodies. I mean, if you didn't want the spare ends... :)

At DEMU this year was the updated N-Train OO gauge 313 kit which is in development, must say it was looking good. The 365 is another one of those classes (like the 321) that I'd love to model because I've done work on them and both have my mods fitted.  

I'd have to check the RSSB Guidance note on Auto Couplers to work out if that was feasible, could it have been a rescue scenario?

Can't say I know of them on the GEML, but they did make it as far south as Tonbridge. Maybe 325 010 could have ventured down to Ilford (Seven Kings) for component recovery prior to scrapping, in a different reality.

• Like 3

Ah yes of course, I should have remembered that...

attachicon.gifDSC06622.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC06652.JPG

Can't believe that was 2015!

I was actually trying to find conversion parts to make a post 'Happy Train' Class 365 incase I end up with some cab-less 466 bodies. I mean, if you didn't want the spare ends... :)

At DEMU this year was the updated N-Train OO gauge 313 kit which is in development, must say it was looking good. The 365 is another one of those classes (like the 321) that I'd love to model because I've done work on them and both have my mods fitted.  

I'd have to check the RSSB Guidance note on Auto Couplers to work out if that was feasible, could it have been a rescue scenario?

Can't say I know of them on the GEML, but they did make it as far south as Tonbridge. Maybe 325 010 could have ventured down to Ilford (Seven Kings) for component recovery prior to scrapping, in a different reality.

They're the sort of pictures that make me want to get this house move finished and start building my massive man shed (layout is currently in storage with Tim Horn (yes, that Tim Horn)). Yes, it's last outing was at the end of 2015.

I got a pair of blank Hornby 466 body shells with the aim to use them to create a centre coach for an Anglia 170 unit... not convinced that's the best route anymore so they could be spare for you... (plus it will remove a 365 from my too long ideas list!)

They're the sort of pictures that make me want to get this house move finished and start building my massive man shed (layout is currently in storage with Tim Horn (yes, that Tim Horn)). Yes, it's last outing was at the end of 2015.

I got a pair of blank Hornby 466 body shells with the aim to use them to create a centre coach for an Anglia 170 unit... not convinced that's the best route anymore so they could be spare for you... (plus it will remove a 365 from my too long ideas list!)

I had a similar frustration after selling Wild Boar Fell, was about 4 years before I started Bank Quay. A good opportunity to work on stock though...  :angel:

Cheers I'll drop you a PM later then, that does sound like quite complex modification to make the centre car. Doesn't Bachmann make one?

Edit to add the photo, couldn't resist the chance to give it a blast of RES Red.

post-13109-0-11778100-1531165904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 3

I had a similar frustration after selling Wild Boar Fell, was about 4 years before I started Bank Quay. A good opportunity to work on stock though...  :angel:

Cheers I'll drop you a PM later then, that does sound like quite complex modification to make the centre car. Doesn't Bachmann make one?

Edit to add the photo, couldn't resist the chance to give it a blast of RES Red.

attachicon.gif20180709_161949.jpg

They do a centre car, but not in Anglia livery.

Keep it up chap.

They do a centre car, but not in Anglia livery.

Keep it up chap.

Good point, just wait a year or two and model one of the 'Toblerones' instead :)

That class 321 looks superb, which layout is it on?

Regards

Dave

I'm guessing the 321 is Mr Goldfish's handiwork from a Bratchell kit? The layout however is Warren Lane which has been featured in a few publications a while back.

Wild Boar Fell

That class 321 looks superb, which layout is it on?

Regards

Dave

I'm guessing the 321 is Mr Goldfish's handiwork from a Bratchell kit? The layout however is Warren Lane which has been featured in a few publications a while back.

Wild Boar Fell

Close. The superb 321 is a Bratchell kit put together by Mr Bevan back when Warren Lane was out on the exhibition circuit, but it is in my possession now.

The 365 is another one of those classes (like the 321) that I'd love to model because I've done work on them and both have my mods fitted.

I must say I am quite enjoying this project already and desperately having to remind myself that the 'Plastic Pigs' never ventured anyway near WBQ.

Well if a 'plastic pig' is a 365, think again!

https://flic.kr/p/LEWP4j

Gutted I missed it, but it did venture near WBQ once!

Jack.

Close. The superb 321 is a Bratchell kit put together by Mr Bevan back when Warren Lane was out on the exhibition circuit, but it is in my possession now.

Lucky so and so... 

I did think of using the Bratchell 319 kit as a starting point for the 325, but thought for the same price I could use the Oxford's and build up a pool of spares for my Mk3 fleet (and try and sell some spares to pay for the new bogies etc).

Well if a 'plastic pig' is a 365, think again!

https://flic.kr/p/LEWP4j

Gutted I missed it, but it did venture near WBQ once!

Jack.

Thanks for that Jack I had no idea they had brought a 365 up via the WCML.

As SG says the 'Plastic Pigs' are the Class 442s, https://goo.gl/images/NoCukP

The 365s post cab cooling mod are known as the 'Happy Trains', unfortunately the only photo I have of these isn't brilliant. 

post-13109-0-91339200-1531214326_thumb.jpg

Confusing all this Southern Region stuff isn't it.

Pacers, Sprinters, Pendolinos & Voyagers,  much simpler up here.

Just stumbled across this and following the PCV and 325 with interest. Given the popularity of the PCV I'm always surprised another run wasn't made, or that another manufacturer hasn't produced one.

Likewise I find it baffling that I can get a 325 kit in N or O but not OO! Has anyone heard any news on the Westcoast kit that was planned a few years back?

Just stumbled across this and following the PCV and 325 with interest. Given the popularity of the PCV I'm always surprised another run wasn't made, or that another manufacturer hasn't produced one.

Likewise I find it baffling that I can get a 325 kit in N or O but not OO! Has anyone heard any news on the Westcoast kit that was planned a few years back?

Cheers Ragtag, I would hazard a guess the PCV has not been repeated for one of two reasons;

1) The PCVs are basically consigned to history now (yes some do still exist but not in service), so the time window for them is somewhat limited.

2) The tooling whilst smart does look a bit dated compared with contemporary models.

On the 325 front, N-Train will be developing a 3D printed kit to follow there OO gauge 313. I'm not a gambler, but I wouldn't rule out a 325 in some shape or form being announced within the next 15 months.

Who knows what is around the corner for both those subjects...

Wild Boar Fell

The other day I managed to find some time to start the landscaping at the PSB end (Southern) of the layout. I was using some of the left over polystyrene blocks from Lunerigg, having to make do with PVA as this darn weather had nearly dried up an brand new barrel of glue. Initially I cut the bank back to steeply so below shows some extra blocks added ready to be cut back. Initially it will be covered with a grass mat. Further detailing and the footpath/ fence line will be added.

As you can probably tell, the southern end is currently acting as the 'stores'.

post-13109-0-44005700-1532126335_thumb.jpg

The ballast on the North & Further North boards has also been glued now.

Happy Modelling

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

Back on more familiar territory, a trio more CDA to HAA conversions on the bench now. These have had the additional parts removed, just need to patch the holes in the hoppers and put some new vinyls on these ones (maybe a few small livery changes too). That should take the MGR rake upto 13, only need to find another 23 then!

post-13109-0-13482700-1532555739_thumb.jpg

Lunerigg posing as a OO gauge layout for a moment.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

"Can't say I know of them on the GEML, but they did make it as far south as Tonbridge. Maybe 325 010 could have ventured down to Ilford (Seven Kings) for component recovery prior to scrapping, in a different reality."

to be fair they have ended up stranger places... still time for them to venture still so you never know

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/25980844782/in/photolist-czkXjG-FC9PqZ-FyD6A6-FzQBZG-ENLdRg-dMaiSu-Fpi22m-ESTVV2-FGhrHF-Fic48Z-ELzxDm-F75KTA-FFUYGx-8j5R7Q-brCUdN-bExRyn-6ofWnU-brCUL7-FFV4np-FDJdmb-KaTnxy-tn6GMZ-brCVey-7CHsyk-7CMhqf-wKigws-wNSwy9-wZfUxf-x4dadf-tCHkV2

• Like 1

"Can't say I know of them on the GEML, but they did make it as far south as Tonbridge. Maybe 325 010 could have ventured down to Ilford (Seven Kings) for component recovery prior to scrapping, in a different reality."

to be fair they have ended up stranger places... still time for them to venture still so you never know

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/25980844782/in/photolist-czkXjG-FC9PqZ-FyD6A6-FzQBZG-ENLdRg-dMaiSu-Fpi22m-ESTVV2-FGhrHF-Fic48Z-ELzxDm-F75KTA-FFUYGx-8j5R7Q-brCUdN-bExRyn-6ofWnU-brCUL7-FFV4np-FDJdmb-KaTnxy-tn6GMZ-brCVey-7CHsyk-7CMhqf-wKigws-wNSwy9-wZfUxf-x4dadf-tCHkV2

Thanks for that, never would have believed it if it wasn't for the photos!

A few varied bits and pieces being worked upon today.

First up, the 442 cab has received some paint as a test, both sides currently have slightly differing amounts of black and yellow. I must say the 442 cabs do look smart for what they are.

post-13109-0-22818100-1532718857_thumb.jpg

Next up is a 466 Networker cab that is having a bad hair day, or rather it is being modified into a 325 cab. As the other 325 threads on here show, there is quite a difference in profile between the cab and a Mk3. Also for some reason it keeps making me feel I should be playing some Oasis, not sure why?

post-13109-0-73991300-1532718866_thumb.jpg

Not wanting to waste much, the rest of the 466 donor vehicle is being rehashed, my plan is to make it a 365 PTOSL, some window overlays will be needed along with the pan well building.

post-13109-0-03375000-1532718888_thumb.jpg

Finally, some more work on the HAAs with the 1st one out of the paintshop! I have found that Tamiya TS-17 is a very close match for the base Hornby colour, hopefully the photos show the similarities. Please note the left hand wagon is slightly factory weathered. Hopefully the other wagons can follow suit, must get some transfers on order.

post-13109-0-41832200-1532718901_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-11076800-1532718941_thumb.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Which 442 livery are you going for? I don't recall them ever having black windscreen surrounds, they were grey with NSE and the interim SWT livery applied to 2402, and red on SWT and Gatwick Express.

Which 442 livery are you going for? I don't recall them ever having black windscreen surrounds, they were grey with NSE and the interim SWT livery applied to 2402, and red on SWT and Gatwick Express.

Well spotted! This is where I should confess my intentions for this project, it isn't quite going to be a 442 as we know it. The idea came thanks to a goldfish who shall remain nameless, but essentially this is going to be a 'Neverwazza', a AC EMU built as a follow on to the 442, thus becoming the 342. Like the 442 the concept is a recovered traction package, so I can get away with using one of those very nice HO Faiveley pans. With the donor bodies being the Oxford Mk3as I wanted to do as little repainting to the original (to the model) Intercity livery, therefore this will be in a IC derived livery. I'm going along the lines of the Mk3 DVT livery but to match the 442s profile, along with the airdam being black rather than white.

Open to suggestions though, thought this would be a nice fun project and an excuse to have something unique on the layout.

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 7