Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bailey Mill (Delph Station ) destroyed

peanuts

this was the scene at 3.10pm today as the lovely old victorian woolen mill adjacent to Delph Station succumbed to fire 

13418842_10153483805706277_6123164554316

reports are that the remains collapsed at 16.15 dont know if the station buildings have recieved and damage as a result 

Very sad but mill buildings always very vulnerable to fire. Was it occupied?

derelict for some time tho it was being looked after by a caretaker lots of carding machines etc still inside planning granted for apartments just awaiting start 

• RMweb Gold

As a developer who at present has an empty building with permission to convert, I can say that no matter how much you board and barracade there is an element of society that wants to break in and start fires. Also with old buildings such as these electrical wiring etc is generally shot to pieces and a hazard in its own right.

Believe it or not it's easier to deal with a refurb of an existing building than deal with a burnt out shell and a new build, as planning are more likely to want elements of the original design in any new development especially if permission was already granted for conversion.

As a developer who at present has an empty building with permission to convert, I can say that no matter how much you board and barracade there is an element of society that wants to break in and start fires. Also with old buildings such as these electrical wiring etc is generally shot to pieces and a hazard in its own right.

Believe it or not it's easier to deal with a refurb of an existing building that deal with a burnt out shell and a new build, as planning are more likely to want elements of the original design in any new development especially if permission was already granted for conversion.

the caretaker was generaly amenable to anybody visiting and had been known to switch all the lights on etc to allow photography but that may have changed after a break in and theft of all the precious metals from the carding machines and other equipment that was still in place . as can be seen the lower two floors had been heavily boarded with steel shuttering for the last twelve months .

• RMweb Gold

the caretaker was generaly amenable to anybody visiting and had been known to switch all the lights on etc to allow photography but that may have changed after a break in and theft of all the precious metals from the carding machines and other equipment that was still in place . as can be seen the lower two floors had been heavily boarded with steel shuttering for the last twelve months .

Thanks.

Sometimes fire is used as a means of covering evidence of a break in.

Thanks for posting Peanuts.  Quite why anyone would wish to live in a multi-storey mill and up theer in the Pennines is beyond me. Folk may regret this mills passing, but this part of Delph will be a brighter place without it. 

it will indeed  just trying to remember whats left mill wise in saddleworth  the two meliues mills that are active in Delph plus the old compoflex site  the oldmill below the crosskeys thats now a car restoration place  diggle mill  & shaws  in diggle tho shaws is slated for the new high school  bukleys and damhead both of which are retirement apartments in uppermill fllechers and clear span in greenfield all the rest are gone  all of these were working mills when i left school in 81 now only clearspan and meulios working very sad 

Surely the site will have to be decontaminated now before any development can be built after its demolition as the ground will have been contaminated during the fire, from the water and demolition debris not to mention anything that was inside the mill. Much more work and costs.

Surely the site will have to be decontaminated now before any development can be built after its demolition as the ground will have been contaminated during the fire, from the water and demolition debris not to mention anything that was inside the mill. Much more work and costs.

Possibly, but if the developer is going to bury any contamination under a huge concrete slab, the level of decontamination required is going to be a a lot less than if he was going to turn it into a children's playground.

• RMweb Gold

went passed today and the whole of the main building has been flattened just the annex and the chimney left standing  low loader taking demo crane away blocking road not hanging about are they 

As it was a mill building I'd guess that it is one big open area on the floors with possibly cast iron supports for the floors above, the fire would have made it structurally unsound.

When we have steel in buildings now we have to wrap them with fire proofing as they twist with the heat.

• RMweb Gold

The ariel shot shows that there is just nothing left inside and with double storey windows there isn't much integrity left in the external walls.

In cases such as these even if the developer wanted to keep the exterior walls you find that the insurers and the Fire Brigade would want them demolished if they cannot be stabilised in a short space of time.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting Peanuts.  Quite why anyone would wish to live in a multi-storey mill and up theer in the Pennines is beyond me. Folk may regret this mills passing, but this part of Delph will be a brighter place without it. 

We used to have a disagree button and I would certainly use it now.

But then I was one of the first people to recognise the development potential of the wharf buildings along the Thames at Wapping and of Victorian school buildings in London. Pity that I did not have the money to profit from that vision. At one time one could buy a warehouse in Wapping for the same money as a suburban semi.

We used to have a disagree button and I would certainly use it now.

But then I was one of the first people to recognise the development potential of the wharf buildings along the Thames at Wapping and of Victorian school buildings in London. Pity that I did not have the money to profit from that vision. At one time one could buy a warehouse in Wapping for the same money as a suburban semi.

its more the cache of the saddleworth address and postcode for many only have to look at how quick a certain developer is to buy any plot and build his "executive " properties on them hence his keen ness for the planned move of saddleworth high school from its current prime plot to the former shaws mill site 

Archived