Penbits 37 and 55 bogies

This wasn't sparked off by a 50 on the NLG test track last weekend, by any chance?

Not really it was sparked off by Rails of Sheffield having a NetworkSE liveried example for sale on eBay. Wheels ordered from AGW Wednesday.

It will fit in quite nicely on the NLG's new acquisition!

Regards

Could a Bachmann Deltic, or Heljan DP2, chassis be made to fit the 50? Just a thought...

Justin (Newitt) did suggest to me that it might be possible to adapt his EE 37 sprung bogie kit (ref. D.01) for use in the (EE) 50, but we would be on our own because the internals of the Hornby 50 are rather different. I bought a set a while ago and the frames themselves are straightforward enough, but the mounting into the Hornby model is another matter entirely.

Download Justin's instruction novella and have a look. The first page suggests suitability for a 50 with the caveat mentioned above.

Sorry Ivan, I meant transplant the Bachmann (or Heljan) chassis into the Hornby body - and then use either Ian or Justin's kit as intended around the Bachmann drive train.  I know theyre all of EE origin, and had the same wheelbase bogies, but where my knowledge stops is whether the bogie centres were changes for the 50... let alone compatibility of the chassis/body fixings systems used by Bachmann/Hornby/Heljan.

Archived