The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Network Canal...

Kelly

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

I'm sure someone will be along soon, who knows more about this than me - but I believe Birmingham is reputed to have more canals than Venice.

Birmingham New Street station even has an entrance on one road whose name hints at canals - Navigation Street. (A number of canals were built to extend the navigable range of rivers - or to allow boats to travel between rivers - they were sometimes callled "navigations".)

More to the point, I seem to recall reading somewhere about the LMS having had some interest in canals in the Birmingham area (and operating canal / rail freight transfer stations, like the one at Chillington).

Somehow though, I suspect that Network Rail might be less than keen on this development.

Huw.

I don't want to add to the Network Canals rumour, but otherwise idle conspiracy theorists may wish to note that:

1) The respective HQs of NR and the Canal & River Trust are both in Milton Keynes, so close together that one is visible from the other; and,

2) The Chief Exec of C&RT used to be a Director in the same prominent part of the rail industry that NRs current Chairman used to oversee........

K

Archived