The Ruston 48DS class - a rivet-counter's guide

On 26/12/2020 at 11:21, Furness Wagon said:

I just had a quick look. Very nice but  I couldn't see the chassis. Also £195 is a hefty price when you consider Mike Edge's price of £55 for his kit. I had looked at doing Mike's kit as a RTR for not much more.

Marc

There is a video of the contents of the kit on the Digitrains website

Cheers

David

• 1 year later...

Now I have the Impetus kit I can feel that it's very likely to jump the queue. One thing I like about it is that it has the 'RUSTON' etched into the front, presumably so it can be filled with paint to represent the earlier examples with the painted script instead of the cast name plate. Would such a loco also have transfers on the cab side instead of plates or did any of the earlier ones have cast plates? I'm guessing transfers which means I can't use the handy little etch I bought from Judith Edge - unless I scratchbuild an 88 of course 🤔

1 hour ago, Barclay said:

Now I have the Impetus kit I can feel that it's very likely to jump the queue. One thing I like about it is that it has the 'RUSTON' etched into the front, presumably so it can be filled with paint to represent the earlier examples with the painted script instead of the cast name plate. Would such a loco also have transfers on the cab side instead of plates or did any of the earlier ones have cast plates? I'm guessing transfers which means I can't use the handy little etch I bought from Judith Edge - unless I scratchbuild an 88 of course 🤔

It is has RUSTON painted on the front then it wouldn't have RH plates on the sides. I presume it has open cab sides and not doors? One thing to watch, because everyone does it and get it wrong, is when you come to fit the radiator grille, don't have the bars going vertically and horizontally. It was actually expanded metal, which looked like diamond shapes but at least putting the grille on with the bars diagonally will look better than verticals and horizontals.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ruston said:

It is has RUSTON painted on the front then it wouldn't have RH plates on the sides. I presume it has open cab sides and not doors? One thing to watch, because everyone does it and get it wrong, is when you come to fit the radiator grille, don't have the bars going vertically and horizontally. It was actually expanded metal, which looked like diamond shapes but at least putting the grille on with the bars diagonally will look better than verticals and horizontals.

Thank you, the kit has the open cab sides and doors so no etched plates for me - looks like that 88DS is on the cards then so I can use them!

The grille in the kit has horizontal/vertical bars, but isn't etched through and is too small to turn - I think I can do better with an after market etching. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/09/2019 at 21:59, Fen End Pit said:

There is a nice series of videos on Youtube from 'Lawrie's Mechanical Marvels' where he collects a 48DS and gets it working on the MSLR.

start at

David Barham

The important question now is where do I get a figurine which is a reasonable representation of Lawrie Rose to decorate the cab?

I have reinstated the lost photos. As the photos of other contributors are also lost I would ask that anyone who has added photos of 48DS Rustons to this thread to please look through their hard drives and edit their posts to reinstate their own photos, where possible.

Another works photo.

48DS-5a.jpg.53e2fb90d2faa6f8b28f25613ccfc0f8.jpg

W/n 3053111 of 1953. For Steel Bros. Built to 5ft. 6in. gauge for use in Pakistan. It has a cab that is shorter in length than usual, which has left the rear sandboxes on the outside of the cab. Theroof is double-skinned for the climate in which is is to work. It also has a plate over part of the longer than usual rear buffers for access to a Vortex Spark Arrestor.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 10 months later...

This is really interesting stuff

I have one of the Hornby ones but I got it out of long term storage yesterday and found its been damaged and has lost a front buffer

Sadly they don’t seem to be offered as spares and I have no idea about any ‘matching’ ones from other suppliers

- so noticing that some people specified different buffers for their 48ds locos in real life, I am considering swapping them all out for a new set (unless anyone can recommend a replacement for the one standard one I am missing)

I am planning a small factory shunting layout for a biscuit factory, so I am wondering would that type of work warrant a different shaped buffer and if so what kind? 

and is there a benefit of round vs oval etc

any info would be greatly appreciated 

my model is the lined green Ruston livery which I believe is discontinued so I can’t get a replacement body either 

many thanks in advance 

Tim

Edited by 7s26
Spelling

On 02/01/2023 at 12:53, Ruston said:

I have reinstated the lost photos. As the photos of other contributors are also lost I would ask that anyone who has added photos of 48DS Rustons to this thread to please look through their hard drives and edit their posts to reinstate their own photos, where possible.

Another works photo.

48DS-5a.jpg.53e2fb90d2faa6f8b28f25613ccfc0f8.jpg

W/n 3053111 of 1953. For Steel Bros. Built to 5ft. 6in. gauge for use in Pakistan. It has a cab that is shorter in length than usual, which has left the rear sandboxes on the outside of the cab. Theroof is double-skinned for the climate in which is is to work. It also has a plate over part of the longer than usual rear buffers for access to a Vortex Spark Arrestor.

Being 5' 6" gauge would presumably explain why it's standing on the floor and not on the rails!

17 hours ago, 7s26 said:

I have one of the Hornby ones but I got it out of long term storage yesterday and found its been damaged and has lost a front buffer

Sadly they don’t seem to be offered as spares and I have no idea about any ‘matching’ ones from other suppliers

- so noticing that some people specified different buffers for their 48ds locos in real life, I am considering swapping them all out for a new set (unless anyone can recommend a replacement for the one standard one I am missing)

I am planning a small factory shunting layout for a biscuit factory, so I am wondering would that type of work warrant a different shaped buffer and if so what kind? 

and is there a benefit of round vs oval etc

any info would be greatly appreciated 

The size and shape of buffers depended on the curvature of the track. Obviously, if there are severe curves, where normal buffers would cause buffer lock with the wagons, they would fit something wider. An oval buffer may suffice, or a circular one of greater diameter. First page, fourth picture down - the Anderston Foundry loco. That has block buffers that cover normal railway wagons in tight curves and the sort of low internal use wagon that it is pictured with.

Scratchbuilding some block buffers could be an option for you? The buffer beams and buffer housings are plastic on the Hornby model, so it's easy enough to cut and file the housings down to clear the buffer beam.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ruston said:

The size and shape of buffers depended on the curvature of the track. Obviously, if there are severe curves, where normal buffers would cause buffer lock with the wagons, they would fit something wider. An oval buffer may suffice, or a circular one of greater diameter. First page, fourth picture down - the Anderston Foundry loco. That has block buffers that cover normal railway wagons in tight curves and the sort of low internal use wagon that it is pictured with.

Scratchbuilding some block buffers could be an option for you? The buffer beams and buffer housings are plastic on the Hornby model, so it's easy enough to cut and file the housings down to clear the buffer beam.

That is excellent information thank you, as it happens Port Clarence is not far from me and the sort of thing I may model in the future. I have a particular soft spot for the loco in the Ruston livery and have just snagged a 2nd hand one for £65.00 so I have some scope to modify my original one and have one ‘as standard’

many thanks

Tim

On 27/11/2023 at 12:12, Ruston said:

Thanks again for the info, I forgot to ask, would those block buffers be metal or wood do you know? And are there any books on the 48ds you would recommend?

Thanks

Tim

13 hours ago, scalerailmodelling said:

Thanks again for the info, I forgot to ask, would those block buffers be metal or wood do you know? And are there any books on the 48ds you would recommend?

Thanks

Tim

I suspect metal, especially if they were to add weight for traction. I'll be making a pattern for milling some of the buffers of the type on the Anderston loco, so if you can wait a while and see how my own conversion goes I may have some available.

I have only got as far as stripping the model down for a repaint.

406138326_3552067581672035_3652918038620881370_n.jpg.4410dbcb6c184f3698b7852a63f37f4b.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

I suspect metal, especially if they were to add weight for traction. I'll be making a pattern for milling some of the buffers of the type on the Anderston loco, so if you can wait a while and see how my own conversion goes I may have some available.

I have only got as far as stripping the model down for a repaint.

406138326_3552067581672035_3652918038620881370_n.jpg.4410dbcb6c184f3698b7852a63f37f4b.jpg

Yeah that sounds good thank you, I will doubtless get at least one more 48DS, because I don’t have an open cab version yet, the Army ones seem scarce now (like the Ruston lined green) so it’ll likely be a dairy one 

• 2 months later...

This one is a bit of a mystery but then again maybe not. It's in Middlesborough, photo taken by Keith Long in May 1959. A white, or possibly  yellow 48DS with dark lining. It would have been brand new back then. (Flickr, clickable pic)

Middelsborough Docks.

There were 3 48DS of similar vintage in the area - 402808 of 1956, of Harrison Bros. foundry, which is pictured earlier in this thread and was painted in the usual lined green and had jacking points under the buffers, so it can't be that. 411318 of 1957 of the Owners Of The Middlesborough Estates Ltd. also pictured in this thread and in green, with oval/double height buffers, so not that one either.

Some lettering is visible above the open engine casing doors and it could be 417891 that was new in May 1959 to Michael Baum Ltd. Scrap dealer, Cleveland Dockyard, Scotts Rd. Middlesborough. A very strange choice of colour for the time, especially if it was white!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/06/2016 at 20:05, Ruston said:

There does appear to be quite some interest in the 48DS so here's a rivet-counter's guide to the type.

All photos are from my collection and are Ruston & Hornsby official photos, taken by their photographer in Lincoln works and on site at customers' premises.

Before locos were given the classification of DS (diesel shunter - standard gauge) and DL (diesel locomotive - narrow gauge), all Ruston locos were classified by horsepower. The progenitor of the 48DS was the 44/48HP type.

The first was w/n 177530, built in 1936 and supplied to H.J. Heinz  for their Willesden works. How many millions of baked beans would have been hauled by this loco?

48DS-9a.jpg.f0788e356376d46626ecbe9b24ef0b27.jpg

The frames, running gear and brake gear were the same as subsequent locos but the engine covers and fuel tank were based on narrow gauge practice.

The first production 44/48HP loco was w/n 182148, built in 1937 and supplied to H. Newsum, Sons & Co. Ltd, joinery and moulding manfrs. of Lincoln. It is seen here in the Boultham works yard before final finishing and delivery.

48DS-010a.jpg.4cbc46ebe1cc1c0abfab5a486ca81ab2.jpg

The cab is similar to the previous loco but the new engine covers are an all-new design. Note how thin the buffer shanks and their tapered housings are when compared to later locos with their parallel buffers.

Another 44/48HP loco, w/n 186309, built in 1937 and delivered to British Electro-Metalurgical Co. Ltd. for their Wincobank (Sheffield) works.

Seen here at Wincobank.

48DS-8a.jpg.007f1e473f9132fdc9b9d44934e831bf.jpg

in 1941 the new classification system was introduced and these locos became 48DS. The engines were Rustons' own 4VRO unit and the cab was redesigned. The wheel diameter was previously 2ft. 3in. although 2ft. 6in. could be specified but from now on 2ft. 6in. would be the standard. Here we have w/n 235514, built in 1945 and delivered to The Anderston Foundry at Port Clarence.

48DS-7a.jpg.989b7942a188a7c0ace0fb0fe457ef5c.jpg

The block buffers were a special fitting and most had sprung buffers. Note the lining of black and cream.

In 1946 the VRO engine was replaced by the VRH, which had redesigned cylinder heads, aluminium alloy pistons and a higher running speed. Externally the cab was redesigned to be enclosed. The lining was also changed to cream and light green. Here we have an unidentified 48DS of the late 1940s, pictured in the works yard at Lincoln. Note that the sign-written RUSTON on the front has been replaced by a cast aluminium plate.

48DS-1a.jpg.ac32f109a05042e23ad933335b0b3a12.jpg

w/n 402808, built 1956 and delivered to Harrison Bros. Atlas Foundry in Middlesborough.

48DS-4a.jpg.64edb8304d1c30b4e29e7ad96ba243b0.jpg

Slight visual changes are the replacement of the Ruston crests (transfers) on the cabsides by cast RH plates. Also, the windows fore and aft have a rubber beading to hold them in instead of a metal frame. The cab side windows are now of the drop variety. Note the deeper buffer beam and how the pattern of lining has changed.

w/n 411318, built in 1957 for Middlesborough Estates Ltd. Cargofleet timber yard.  Internally, the VRH engines had been replaced by the all-new 4YCL units.

48DS-3a.jpg.18a3a430e48634a031d8db1e7fe0a591.jpg

The buffers are a special fitting.

If people are interested I could do something similar for the 88Ds type...

Does anyone know why the radiator appears to be half obscured at the bottom?

I am guessing to stop timber dust settling in there but would like to know for sure, if anyone can shed any light?

Thanks

Tim

4 hours ago, Barclay said:

Does anyone have a photo showing how the brakes are arranged? My Impetus kit is missing some of the instructions!

Thank you

From the RH parts book.

DSCF0880.JPG.4d0b56e9a310cb433d5706ddbfd5a869.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, scalerailmodelling said:

Does anyone know why the radiator appears to be half obscured at the bottom?

I am guessing to stop timber dust settling in there but would like to know for sure, if anyone can shed any light?

Thanks

Tim

Probably to restrict the flow of air over the radiator. The radiator would probably over-cool in cold weather, especially if the loco was only working intermittently, so restricting the amount of air passing through it would get the engine up to temperature faster.

• Like 1