RMweb

Through piped brake vans...? An appeal for information...

Paragon

Hi all,

I've been looking out for an Air Piped liveried brakevan as I have a 'standard' bauxite example and would like an 'exotic' one to break up the monotony, and having made much use of Paul Bartlett's exceptional site to do some research I have a few questions regarding their correct usage:

-Some of the vehicles have certain 'to work with' instructions, I.e. Hopper circuits whilst also being labelled as under the care of the engineers department, what was their purpose in what I presume (possibly wrongly) were MGR workings? Was it for a required guard or as part of a wider trial/ specific purpose, I assume trial possibly incorrectly on the basis of the engineers department tag being on some as well as the circuit working instruction... So would I be able to have a HAA rake and a Piped van on the rear and if so what purpose would it fulfill?

I do recall reading somewhere about a Derbyshire based example of an MGR working which needed to run with provision for a guard in order for them to operate a Xing on a route to a colliery but I may be mistaken, were there many (any?) MGR workings which would have contained a brake van in the consist?

- piggybacking on this point, were there any 'required' workings for Air Piped vans as in my limited wisdom I've deduced that they were erstwhile found principally on unfitted/ mixed rakes and I thought they were made somewhat redundant by fully fitted air brake rakes or was it simply to convey a guard? I can see some where found in electrification and engineers liveries so I assume some requirement for them but on what basis I do not know...

Could somebody clarify with regards to the regulations for me please, I know it's fairly cheeky to ask but even being pointed in the right direction of any literature or such that I can refer to would be brill.

Thanks in advance,

Paragon

I am sure someome with more info will be along directly, but in the meantime I have some thoughts.

You are correct about air-piped brake vans on the MGR services from Denby, as here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33751709@N05/14535434602/in/photolist-bzekiZ-dnJWju-g6qHEG-o9CBvi-97zstL-9tukLM-9tMK6g-o9rUiq-udXbkp-c8TBWo-qRevjf-c8TQVG-9zhudF-mMVewt-f944yy-aaNPwo-c8TGBh-gyFadz-eiw3tV-e3HaDN-5KdzqS-dfUtBU-t76Lt5-rZHXPA 

Some of the MGR trains to Fiddlers Ferry required a long propelling move at Warrington, notably those from Cumbria

and a I have seen photos with brake vans on the rear of those trains, as here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75784477@N08/26836064010/in/photolist-oZyrCo-FTDUt6-dNdkBV-fXQBTQ-GTpQSN-xnTHjG-rhWLjH-sa6XG9-srvvqQ-75KuGi-aKDrji-e9KWVv

edit

There is also a requirement for a brake van to be provided for the guard when certain classes of dangerous goods are conveyed.

This applied in the Speedlink era for some tanks received from the continent for Barry Docks. Hence there was regularly a CAR brake van on services from Dover - Willesden - A D Junction - Barry Docks route as here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johndedman/11292975313/in/photolist-pqBLfB-duCk9a-dYwfZH-oQSfKx-mhwo5u-kq4Tc2-icVs7V-AT54UU-e6W772-q374Re-qmwe9z-cyiDLd-CmcYHv-duHU9d-atQsLt-bYHYs3-x2hjS3 

cheers

You asked for literature references, these should assist Gent E (1999) British Railways Brake vans and ballast ploughs. Pub. By HMRS 92pp. ISBN 0 – 902835 – 16 –5.

and

Monk-Steel, David (2011) Merry-go-round on the rails. HMRS publishing, Butterley Station, Derbys. 196 pages ISBN 978-0-902835-30-6.

Many reasons why brake vans continued in use.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that is invaluable as I'm more than happy to do the legwork rather than fall back on the generosity of others to provide me with the information, I get quite nervous when asking things of people and I don't want to try anyone's patience!

Jon

Paragon

IIRC, Class 20-hauled MGR trains retained a 'van, as the cab of the loco wasn't fitted with the requisite brake valve that the guard could operate. 

Dover Town Yard retained a small Pool of 'vans for use on trains conveying dangerous chemicals, as Kevin suggested. Whilst none were in the 'yellow panel' livery, there was one in RFS livery, that had previously been used to accompany trains of London Transport stock to or from one of the former BR works.

Yellow-panelled CAR brake van on an interesting short train here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87703-Bachmann-announce-ffafga-early-container-flats/?p=1668455

And another one at Stratford, in 1985, "TO WORK WITH AIR BRAKE TRAINS ONLY" on the tail end of what is clearly not an air-braked train:

post-6971-0-60996200-1467194837.jpg

Thanks all for the above replies, guys, I have incidentally acquired an RFS liveried example and was wondering what it was for...

Anyway, after careful revision I've come across a few oddities, in one case a ferry tank speedlink consist which had a guards van at both ends to comply ( I assume) with barrier regulations and also to facilitate run around operations, I assumed this to be chemical tanks, but as Mark has pointed out there was also a precedent for barake vans to work with fuel workings although I think in this case it was an operational requirement rather than a barrier issue.

Thanks all

Paragon

Thanks all for the above replies, guys, I have incidentally acquired an RFS liveried example and was wondering what it was for...

Anyway, after careful revision I've come across a few oddities, in one case a ferry tank speedlink consist which had a guards van at both ends to comply ( I assume) with barrier regulations and also to facilitate run around operations, I assumed this to be chemical tanks, but as Mark has pointed out there was also a precedent for barake vans to work with fuel workings although I think in this case it was an operational requirement rather than a barrier issue.

Thanks all

Paragon

The RFS liveried one worked with the RFS liveried VDA's converted to adaptors to work with underground stock moving to and from RFS Doncaster.

Mark Saunders

Thanks all

Paragon

There is a brake van at each end of these ammonia tanks,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhayes/5358116206/in/photolist-9atKgU-onsAH7-oc4mXW-6PrLnS-6J7DRZ-cHG7FS-fpdoFP-bD9H8V-jDkhYk-7g6dFb-fz2KWa-dQr1iJ-dNaSzR-dK8ohr-f28Q7R-wybcuh-74Bgeb-dpGS17-hQc61j-cUt6AC-87ZsMM-7QZSc6-ahLstf-dhw2oy-knEpnG-GNPzcS-9hnbmx-dNima7-pUpBy9-pHbajH-5ntYgs-4yWd4P-9rjp3Q-poWHjk-79Gc1L-3KQ7g2-79G2gw-f12q7H-deourK-7RGuJX-6W1y1X-aZvXJF-ejXeew-8SWQye-7RGwDB-7RGz5M-6d687V-48doA3-ke4px-cpa22j

We used to get similar trains of liquified anhydrous ammonia from Haverton Hill arriving at ICI Severnside,

in later years air braked tanks were used with air piped brake vans and sometimes there was a brake van at each end

which simplified things when reversing the train at Hallen Marsh and Severn Beach,

cheers

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, Class 20-hauled MGR trains retained a 'van, as the cab of the loco wasn't fitted with the requisite brake valve that the guard could operate. 

IIRC it was early-mid '80s before the 20s had the emergency brake valve put in? once fitted, then the guard could ride in the cab of the rear 20 of the pair (I presume all cl.20 hauled MGRs were double-headed)

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm a Railfreight livery CAR Van with Coal Sector markings that I photographed in York Wagon Works in the early 90's. It was deemed beyond economic repair and so I had the complete air and vac brake pipe installation off it to install on the 'Dutch' Livery ZTO van that I bought at the same time for heritage railway use. Incidentally, this van was originally vac. fitted, not just piped, like most BR Std. vans were of course. If required I can look out some photo's of the CAR van for you.

Andrew

Hi there, back in the eighties the MGR trains to Fidlers Ferry from the Lancashire coalfields (Bold/Sutton Manor/Parkside/Bickershaw/Abram) would have a brake van with narrow footboards so that they could fit between the daleks in Fidlers. The principal reason was so they could propel (and thus not need a draw-back loco) between Arpley Junction and Walton Old Junction. The Cumbrian MGR trains should have had them too, but sometimes they didn't so the 08 on Target 16 would get used as a draw-back.

Paul.

I am sure someome with more info will be along directly, but in the meantime I have some thoughts.

You are correct about air-piped brake vans on the MGR services from Denby, as here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33751709@N05/14535434602/in/photolist-bzekiZ-dnJWju-g6qHEG-o9CBvi-97zstL-9tukLM-9tMK6g-o9rUiq-udXbkp-c8TBWo-qRevjf-c8TQVG-9zhudF-mMVewt-f944yy-aaNPwo-c8TGBh-gyFadz-eiw3tV-e3HaDN-5KdzqS-dfUtBU-t76Lt5-rZHXPA 

Did the Denby MGR trains have a brake van at both ends for the gaurd to drop down and close the crossing gates?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The Redcar to redmire train had a van on from Tees to redmire and back this was because of a propelling move at Northallerton and for the guard to close crossing gates on the branch

Nuclear trains had a van right up to DRS taking over the services in 1998

Archived