RMweb

Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

It'd be a shame if they cited 'lack of evidence.'

Let's just say that @Islesy's reply on the Accurascale Siphon thread is a tad ambivalent. If it ever was GWR policy to paint the ends of NPCCS black there seems to be little photographic evidence of it, even allowing for the fact that b & w photography and railway grime get in the way.  It's a difficult area, and Accurascale may well be correct.  But in the meantime I've painted the ends of mine with Railmatch GWR coach brown.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Yep, I remember that too, and repainted mine. And I've recently seen written evidence for this re horse boxes.  Never seen any for siphons though.

Paul has sent this :

Shame there wasn't this discussion when livery samples were shown, eh? Always the way!

The HMRS GWR Livery Register is my bible in these situations, but as I mentioned, it's still ambiguous - folk need to take into account that the Siphon isn't freight stock, it's coaching stock!

I'm leaving mine black.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2023 at 23:32, gwrrob said:

I vaguely remember a discussion on the Hornby horsebox thread which resulted in me repainting the model with black ends.

As per @checkrail's comments on the siphons remaining brown, GWR.org has guidance here.

Horsebox end colours changed twice, from original Crimson Lake to brown then black ("possibly mid- to late 1930s"). Beetles went from grey to black.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

A quiet moment in the coal yard at Stoke Courtenay. I think that with my stepson's help and expertise I've finally managed to get Affinity Photo to work with my new iMac.  Tomorrow will be a day of experimentation. More anon.

coalyard.jpg.ab46919683753166064e02442157f3c6.jpg

John C.          

Lovely picture- absolutely no fuzzy bits except the horse’s feathersj!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, checkrail said:

And another.  Getting (slightly) easier all the time. 

Downexpress(2).jpeg.103d8ab020f054d4067054078dcb4d5e.jpeg

John C.

Lovely ! The Castles were such handsome beasts and you’ve captured the consists of varied coaches so well .

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Another wonderful thread which has somehow evaded my attention - I’ve just had a quick but very enjoyable skim through the last few pages and each photo you’ve posted has given me that familiar warm fuzzy feeling that the GWR always does. The way everything looks and feels ‘right’ is quite remarkable, the layout definitely has atmosphere and that sense of place that a lot of us strive for in our modelling. I actually thought it was 7mm at first glance.

I’ll be going back to page one and settling in for good old read 😉

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks @Rugd1022 for kind comments.  I know just what you mean about that warm feeling we GWR fans get when we come across anything emblematic of the company. Hope you enjoy your browse through the thread.

John.

• Like 6

Many thanks @Rugd1022 for kind comments.  I know just what you mean about that warm feeling we GWR fans get when we come across anything emblematic of the company. Hope you enjoy your browse through the thread.

John.

My other half and I were down at the Glos & Warks line a couple of weeks ago just sitting and gazing at 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ simmering away in the platform at Toddington, all was right with the world for a few brief moments. Don’t get me wrong, I admire lots of things about the other companies but we both have family connections to the Great Western going back to the 19th century, so it feels rather special to us. Her dad was a booking boy in Slough Middle box from 1946 to 1951 and relatives on both sides of her family were employed at Swindon Works going way back. In my family, my mum’s maternal grandfather and two of his brothers started as engine cleaners at Westbourne Park (broad gauge) shed before moving to Old Oak when Churchward opened the new depot there in 1906, then 77 years later I was a second man there.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Here's another view across the coal yard, from a different angle, with the wagons out of the way.

Coalyard2.jpg.6c9dbcb5897d979ff4944a482d2677f7.jpg

John C.

Lovely scene John, it looks so real, as if we are eavesdropping on the workers 😎

54 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

My other half and I were down at the Glos & Warks line a couple of weeks ago just sitting and gazing at 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ simmering away in the platform at Toddington, all was right with the world for a few brief moments. Don’t get me wrong, I admire lots of things about the other companies but we both have family connections to the Great Western going back to the 19th century, so it feels rather special to us. Her dad was a booking boy in Slough Middle box from 1946 to 1951 and relatives on both sides of her family were employed at Swindon Works going way back. In my family, my mum’s maternal grandfather and two of his brothers started as engine cleaners at Westbourne Park (broad gauge) shed before moving to Old Oak when Churchward opened the new depot there in 1906, then 77 years later I was a second man there.

To sit at any preserved railway and just watch the world go by is lovely.

You have quite a railway family there - must be a few family tales 😎

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Wow -  I love your juxtaposition of pictures!  Funnily enough I was in Truro at the weekend (my daughter and her family live there), and on Saturday afternoon we walked the trackbed of the old Newham branch (destination being the Skinner's brewery tap).

IMG_2970.jpeg.2978eb9b61495bc9fdd28e7af4ce9e57.jpeg

And Stoke Courtenay's signal box is the Truro box, as commissioned from Bachmann by Kernow Model Railways.  That was also the source of the water tower, based on St Ives.

John C.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Lovely work John. Certain elements of the layout have definite echoes of the classic Bradford Barton GW albums...

IMG_8096.JPG.60c83464f0eb19491021b57fee28e940.JPG

This end of the layout is very much like the west end of Truro station, all that's missing is the 'black bridge' which spans the entire site near the ends of the platforms...

Nidge I'm not sure if your text referred to this particular photo - which is of course the east end of St Erth looking in the Up direction.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nidge I'm not sure if your text referred to this particular photo - which is of course the east end of St Erth looking in the Up direction.

No Mike, I wasn’t referring to the St.Erth pic when I mentioned Truro, it was the pic below it of the Prairie on the layout I was referring to ;)

Tell you what though, I’m getting seriously drawn back into this GW / WR malarkey, despite buying some rather nice SR books this past fortnight. Layouts like Stoke Courtenay are like modelling catnip! I wish I had the room to build something similar in 7mm.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2