RMweb

Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Sorry for the diversion @checkrail.

No diversion really  - just an interesting contribution to the discussion of milk traffic.  And it prompted  a typically knowledgeable and informative response from Mike @Coach bogie.

Hope to reach for the camera again before too long. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2023 at 02:17, checkrail said:

Well, a couple of people were kind enough to exhort me to "keep them coming", and with this new combination of iMac/ffworks/Affinity Photo 2 processing layout photos has never been so quick or so easy.  You have been warned!

Hi John

I missed this earlier reference to Photo 2. I wonder if you could outline the advantages you have found over Version 1? I am very happy with V1 although I only use it for cropping and auto correct/ Colour balance etc. Is it now easier to remove unwanted backgrounds for instance?

Best wishes

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, john dew said:

I missed this earlier reference to Photo 2. I wonder if you could outline the advantages you have found over Version 1? I am very happy with V1 although I only use it for cropping and auto correct/ Colour balance etc. Is it now easier to remove unwanted backgrounds for instance?

Hi John

I'm afraid the answer is, "I don't know'. There are three elements to my new set-up - Mac, ffworks and Affinity Photo 2.  I had to buy Affinity again when moving to a new computer so it seemed logical to buy the latest version.  But I've only scratched the surface with Affinity.  Focus merging is all I do with it, though I must learn how to clone and 'paint' to edit backgrounds in due course.

The focus merging is now an incredibly quick process compared with before, but I'd guess - and it's only a guess - that it's the ffworks software that's made the difference rather than the updated version of Affinity.  Unfortunately I don't think it's available for Windows but there are probably equivalents that are better than Windows Media Player.

For cropping, colour adjustments etc. I just use the photo editing tools that came with the pc rather than try to do this with Affinity.

Regards,

John. 

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Hi John

I'm afraid the answer is, "I don't know'. There are three elements to my new set-up - Mac, ffworks and Affinity Photo 2.  I had to buy Affinity again when moving to a new computer so it seemed logical to buy the latest version.  But with I've only scratched the surface with Affinity.  Focus merging is all I do with it, though I must learn how to clone and 'paint' to edit backgrounds in due course.

The focus merging is now an incredibly quick process compared with before, but I'd guess - and it's only a guess - that it's the ffworks software that's made the difference rather than the updated version of Affinity.  Unfortunately I don't think it's available for Windows but there are probably equivalents that are better than Windows Media Player.

For cropping, colour adjustments etc. I just use the photo editing tools that came with the pc rather than try to do this with Affinity.

Regards,

John. 

Hi John

Thanks for the swift response. It was actually very useful - I have long admired the clarity you achieve with Focus Merging, I have tried a few time with my 15 year old DSLS camera but it was so clunky (before each shot individually select each focus point!) I gave. Your comments made me start investigating an app (Camera Pixels) for my Iphone which is probably a better camera - certainly more flexible.

This is a very diffident suggestion but it might be worth experimenting with the Affinity Crop tool - its very user friendly - it has to be for me to use it! Likewise for the 4 Auto buttons : Level/Contrast/Colour/White Balance . Probably the only other tool I use is the Un- do button.

Best wishes

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, john dew said:

I have tried a few time with my 15 year old DSLS camera but it was so clunky (before each shot individually select each focus point!)

Thanks John for reply and suggestions.  The real game changer for me was the Panasonic TZ100 camera, with its ability to shoot in 'post focus' mode, essentially shooting a short MP4 video clip.  I think the original purpose of this facility was so you could pick the frame you liked best, but it also takes you half way to focus merging without having to alter the focus manually at all.

On my 70th birthday (5 years ago!) family and friends crowd-funded a snazzy DSLR for me. I couldn't get on with it at all (far too sophisticated for me - I didn't understand the manual or the jargon) , and I bought the TZ100 with the proceeds of its sale. When Andy Y. was photographing Stoke C. for BRM back in 2019 focus stacking came up in our conversation, and he observed that with my new camera I was already half way there.  He was right. So thanks Andy @Andy Y

And unlike the DSLR it's compact.  I can stand it on the platform, or on a wagon box placed across the tracks.  I use a tripod as well when required, but I do like to take photos from within the frame of the layout where possible.

Regards,

John

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s an interesting dialogue @john dew and @checkrail you are both having.

I use Afinity v2 and to be honest think v1 and 2 are almost the same. Although I am sure the developers would disagree! I use it to manipulate all my photos, having switched from Photoshop many years ago. (I refused to pay for a new licence when photoshop was upgraded - it didn’t seem worth the extra money).

Typically I use my iPhone for photos, although by comparison they will be a “quick snap”. When I get out the DSLR, set up the tripod, that’s when I can mess about and do image stacking. Mine is a Pentax with a manual selection of the focus point. 

The photos are better, but it’s such a faff getting “the big camera” set up! However, I also think I need to upgrade my lighting in order to increase the quality of my photos.

With a Manor and Siphon on their way, the DSLR will be in front of Henley very soon!

• Like 5