Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

The exercise also got me looking through the Hubback book again, to my great enjoyment.  One thing that stands out very strongly in the photos is the immaculate state of most GWR main line track - not a single ballast chipping out of place. Beautiful!

John C. 

Much like your own track, John.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Yippee! The surgeon's embargo on climbing a loft ladder (or driving a car) expired today, so up I went to blow the dust off Stoke Courtenay.

Great news.  Just don’t overdo it in a burst of over enthusiasm!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

Yippee! The surgeon's embargo on climbing a loft ladder (or driving a car) expired today, so up I went to blow the dust off Stoke Courtenay.

As Neal @Neal Ball has designated this as 'Castle Week' I thought I'd better wheel my two out again.  Here's 5041 'Tiverton Castle' for starters.

cw1.jpeg.29cdba15f3216d9104e0e65bde3ba902.jpeg

cw2.jpeg.4298901923487bc4d08fad386d5657ba.jpeg

cw3.jpeg.095ef58ff540dac75f286d0d0f31ec5a.jpeg

John C.

Welcome to Cadtle week John.

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Great news.  Just don’t overdo it in a burst of over enthusiasm!

Paul.

Agreed - watch that ladder to the loft and don’t over exert yourself.

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

And here's 5000 'Launceston Castle' coming the other way. 

cw5.jpeg.7f2a681908b50b43e4e1e1d80fc1f060.jpeg

cw4.jpeg.ba3d81b8bfcd41b2dda136c331e4b874.jpeg

cw6.jpeg.1fec99863ee898fbaffb2c80db26a616.jpeg

John C.

Another set of great photos.

53 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Your trackwork looks superb John.

Yes agreed that the track work at SC always looks good 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Castle week? If you insist. Both photos taken at Nancegwithey Viaduct by W C Wolseley.

Always nice to see your trains.  That first Castle certainly has a back story!

Looking forward to seeing the actual (model) viaduct in due course.  Great spot for train photography.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Why do they have to choose wagons already previously available in kit form? I am already running a pair of David Geen Kit D88. 

Mike Wiltshire

I'll probably get shot down here, but if I were an RTR manufacturer and wanted to make a model I know that there's a market for, I might look at a popular kit and then cater for all those people who would like one of those locos / coaches / wagons but don't feel like they have the time, confidence, skills or interest to build one for themselves. 

That of course doesn't broaden the amount of variety we have in models, nor does it bode well for cottage industry kit manufacturers, but that's not why I'm in business is it? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'll probably get shot down here, but if I were an RTR manufacturer and wanted to make a model I know that there's a market for, I might look at a popular kit and then cater for all those people who would like one of those locos / coaches / wagons but don't feel like they have the time, confidence, skills or interest to build one for themselves. 

That of course doesn't broaden the amount of variety we have in models, nor does it bode well for cottage industry kit manufacturers, but that's not why I'm in business is it? 

Plus the Geen kits are no longer available, so it's not as though they're duplicating a current kit...

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

29 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Plus the Geen kits are no longer available, so it's not as though they're duplicating a current kit...

Another old kit that will probably end up at £70 on eBay then, which like many others demonstrate a continuing demand.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6