New FGW MK3 coaches

magic_monkey09

Here is a 7mm JLTRT Mk II with Tamiya smoke on the rear of the windows. As you can see you can just see through to the tables.

That looks much better than i thought it would - I was going to consider having some replacement glazing laser cut

tfn

Jon

Of course being either rattle can or airbrushed on, you can make it as dark as you like! I used it on a Farish mk2, and have also used it on class 66 cabside windows. I find that 3 or 4 brushed coats seems particularly effective on the GMs

cheers

jo

I brought some 2day in a 10ml jar and applied some to an old Virgin MK3. i used a cotton bud and just dabbed it over the glazing from the inside, it spreads like water until it covers the whole window and dries really nice, Takes a while to dry using this method but turns out great B) . I did try thinning it for airbrushing at first but it seemed to spit and come out in dotted texture blurring the glass.. :O

I've been looking forward to these for sometime now as they're my primary way of shuffling between Reading and Cardiff. I gave them a good look in Ian Allan and I think the main problem is that the finish is quite flat looking, whilst the real thing tends to be kept quite clean and as a result looks quite bold. Part of my wonders if a polish with T-cut would work and add some depth to the colour - I've seen some Bachmann Mk.1s treated this way and it made a world of difference. The power cars should be very nice - I quite fancy 43037 and 43127 as they've got a bit of a story for me.

I think I was behind you in the queue...

Pix

you probably were :lol: im in there quite regular, I fancy doing my power cars when their out as either "David Austin-Cartoonist" "Driver Stan Martin" "First Transforming Travel" "Ismbard Kingdom Brunel" "Travelwatch-SouthWest" or "Prince Michael of Kent" :lol: they seem to be the most popular ones i see at Cardiff :lol:

I brought some 2day in a 10ml jar and applied some to an old Virgin MK3. i used a cotton bud and just dabbed it over the glazing from the inside, it spreads like water until it covers the whole window and dries really nice, Takes a while to dry using this method but turns out great cool.gif . I did try thinning it for airbrushing at first but it seemed to spit and come out in dotted texture blurring the glass.. ohmy.gif

What did you use to thin it? I use undiluted screenwash to thin Tamiya acrylics, which apparently is similar in make-up to Tamiya's own thinners

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

That looks much better than i thought it would - I was going to consider having some replacement glazing laser cut

tfn

Jon

I'd still say go with the laser cut option, the difference in the look of the stuff fitted to my 150 with Hornby mk2d/mk3s is huge, none of that distortion around the edge of the glazing (and the tint is already there.)

I'd still say go with the laser cut option, the difference in the look of the stuff fitted to my 150 with Hornby mk2d/mk3s is huge, none of that distortion around the edge of the glazing (and the tint is already there.)

watch this space then!

heres some ("Dr Evil" voice) laser cut flushglaze ive had made for my class 122 - not tinted but the fit and quality of the material is great - and looks much more like glass than moulded plastic glazing.

IMG_5412.jpg

Back to the coaches in question - even with the tint of the windows - the distinctive shape of the seats in refurbished FGW stock is quite apparent - anyone be brave/mad enough to tackle that ?? Possibly the mix of blue and brown leather seats in first class might be worth painting . My local shop hasnt got the mk3s in yetsad.gif

tfn

jon

within the handfull of Mirlees power cars, 43168's roof appears to be a one off - it looks like one single narrow opening in the roof - but I cant tell if its mesh or slats - and theres no raised surround either. it only had this when it was fitted with the mirrless engine - the coolor group was changed again when it went back to a Paxman.

Ive got a pair on order

Im hoping its an etch too, but if not , it would be a nice little detailing project to fit some mesh - (and a big speaker underneath!)

The roof vents should be blanked off at the inner end of the vehicle too , which I dont think Hornby have accounted for on thier new power cars -

their models of the GNER MTU power cars still have the vents.

Back on topic - theres no sign of the TGS in Dynamic lines - all the other coaches are out...

tfn

jon

According to Model railways direct the TGS in Dynamic lines is due out in April

http://modelrailwaysdirect.com/acatalog/Hornby-R4372.html

Back to the coaches in question - even with the tint of the windows - the distinctive shape of the seats in refurbished FGW stock is quite apparent - anyone be brave/mad enough to tackle that ?? Possibly the mix of blue and brown leather seats in first class might be worth painting . My local shop hasnt got the mk3s in yetsad.gif

tfn

jon

its not worth painting the interior now that ive tinted the windows, you can hardly see the seats unless you lift it up into the light let alone the colour :lol: so hardly worth it really. I went on my own little outing on a HST on monday to see what the glass was like and noticed that you cannot see into the carrige from the outside unless you go up close to the window. However, come 6pm when it gets dark you can see perfectly inside with the bright interior lighting :lol:

Next question - which I think im going to ask Mr Hornby actually , is hows about doing the current Night Riviera - they have mk3 sleepers already in the range, , they will be doing an RFM this year , they have TSOs , and i suppose the ex lima TGS could pose as the BFO....

TFN

Jon

Next question - which I think im going to ask Mr Hornby actually , is hows about doing the current Night Riviera - they have mk3 sleepers already in the range, , they will be doing an RFM this year , they have TSOs , and i suppose the ex lima TGS could pose as the BFO....

TFN

Jon

They would be a nice addition to the Hornby range :D would go nice with Kernow's Ltd edtion 57605 Totnes Castle on the front ;)

Also i'd like to see them do the Arriva WAG express coaches B)

Collected two today with buffet expected soon. I've been waiting & waiting for these as I love the livery, but I am slightly disappointed with the finish. Lines are a mess and the roof is going to have to be toned down and I believe that the seats should be set out correct (painted, not necessarily, who knows !). that said - I have to have collect the full rake of course and I think that we will just have to put up with Hornbys "sloppy seconds" compared to Bachmann (shame Bachmann don't overtake and overrule Hornby and produce a HST and full rake - bet they would win hands down. GO ON Bachmann - DO IT ! ;)

I think that we will just have to put up with Hornbys "sloppy seconds"

I feel your pain! a lot of teeth grinding went on over the Intercity livery power cars and mk3s - which was supposed to be the backbone of a layout I was planning-

so dissapointed was I, that I bailed out and changed my main layout to N - as i think the Dapol version with give a more consistant looking train in model form - if nothing else, at least Dapol mk3s couple up nicely and should all be the same shape blink.gif wink.gif

tfn

jon

at first i was really dissapointed with Hornby's effort at producing the FGW livery but i suppose if the real FGW HST's remained forever ex-works then Hornby's version would look more accurate. We have already discovered that the roof tops are actually blue underneath just they are so filthy they look black!! :lol: the underframe on HST carriges are always dusty after a few trips. If Hornby released them factory weathered perhaps they would look more realistic... the only real production flaw that i noticed was that the Windows should be tinted but ive since sorted that myself with Tamiya smoke B) other than that some simple weathering sorts the rest out ;)

overall im quite pleased with them now and i appreciate them more knowing that they are not just RTR models anymore now that i have customised them slightly :lol:

Well, after a trip on the real thing today (and a real close look just to check). I noticed that the lines on the real MK3's under the Great Western letering are a bit of a "messy mix" so maybe Hornby have got it right on the lines. All that leaves me to do now is tint the windows and slight weather the whole carriage. That should do the trick !

Well, after a trip on the real thing today (and a real close look just to check). I noticed that the lines on the real MK3's under the Great Western letering are a bit of a "messy mix" so maybe Hornby have got it right on the lines. All that leaves me to do now is tint the windows and slight weather the whole carriage. That should do the trick !

ye u can also see the joins in the stickers, looks like the real ones were applied in sections. They look odd when they're clean now that the real ones have all seen a bit of service. i even noticed that some Chav had graffitied his tag onto one!!! people these days... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

FGW power cars and TGS coach are advertised for April release in the latest Hornby newsletter B)

looking foward to seeing the front of the power cars, only seen artists impressions so far. They should look smashing with the new MTU style noses like the GNER one has. Hope they dont paint the exhaust silencer blue but if they do its easy to fix with Tamiya flat black :)

Archived