2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Beware though, the real colour (in RAL terms) rarely looks 'right' on a model - not enough area to 'fool the eyes'.

Years ago, I painted a Diecast model bus in the then SYPTE 'tea and cream' livery  with paint obtained directly from the paint shop at the local bus garage; just didn't look right to me.

Hi Andy,

Yes I think caution is probably needed in fairness, this is something I have also heard on several occasions, not least in modelling publications. 

It would be interesting to put it to the test but it sounds like you have already been there!

Martyn.

• Like 1

Color gets darker the farther away you are.  You'll generally want to darken a color for a model.  Consider how far away from the model you're supposed to be.   If you're 2' from a model, in OO, you're 152' away from the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Color gets darker the farther away you are.  You'll generally want to darken a color for a model.  Consider how far away from the model you're supposed to be.   If you're 2' from a model, in OO, you're 152' away from the real thing.

It also gets less shiny. Hence why high gloss on models looks wrong. To do I think with air pollution, you can prove this by standing next to a newly washed car and then walking some distance away.

John.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Shurely shome mishtake Mish Moneypenny.

Coffee and cream please.

The first lighter shade milky full fat and the second darker shade semi skimmed.

Mike.

Mike,

If your coffee looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38556445@N08/11504617533/

You're making it wrong. And if it looks like this:

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt246/sandyb-photos/buses/earlysynationals008.jpg

You're DEFINITELY doing something wrong :)

• RMweb Gold

That's as maybe, but who has tea with cream?

But seriously, back in the day, nobody I had contact with within the old STD and the new SYPTE ever called it anything other than coffee and cream, indeed, even in official documentation and press releases it was so called.

I remember the rush into Sheffield city centre when the first reliveried bus, a Bristol VR IIRC, was released on its first day from Queens Road, I've got the pictures filed away,,,,,somewhere!, what an insipid effort.

Anyway, whatever it was called, it was a huge retrograde step from the somewhat more colourful Corporation liveries.

Mike.

• Like 1

Apologies Martyn for the digression....

Mike, I agree about it being referred to as Coffee and Cream, but a commentator at the time suggested that it more resembled the appearance of a well brewed cup of tea (and noted the bus driver's probable preference for same).

Ref the first few repaints, they were also adorned with heraldic crests:

videmat.jpg

...and guess who has one still in transfer form :) 

You can have yer thread back now Martyn :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

52 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Apologies Martyn for the digression....

Mike, I agree about it being referred to as Coffee and Cream, but a commentator at the time suggested that it more resembled the appearance of a well brewed cup of tea (and noted the bus driver's probable preference for same).

Ref the first few repaints, they were also adorned with heraldic crests:

videmat.jpg

...and guess who has one still in transfer form :) 

You can have yer thread back now Martyn :D

Judging by the state of that bus, the cleaners must also have been debating the merits of tea vs coffee, at length, whilst drinking copious amounts of both, instead of actually cleaning the buses!:mocking_mini:

• Funny 1

Having discovered I am right out of small crests for the 25, I have ordered some from Railtec.

In the meantime, work on the underframe has started. This lot, fitted by a previous owner, was in the battery box area:

20200730_163224.jpg.2daab3d077b3ca4a8bb160b510853563.jpg

Looks like a Hornby class 86 weight? Plus lots of blutack and some lead pieces. And a rewire job of dubious merits, which more or less fell out. The headcode lighting circuit and cab interiors were missing so I will have to source the latter.

Lots of holes were drilled around the fuel tank and battery boxes, joined with the scalpel, so that the waste material could be removed. Plasticard blanks were added further back and inside, with a little filler as required to give a more 3d effect.20200730_162720.jpg.6e95d5484c3ade7c5130b2a1f255da34.jpg20200730_162703.jpg.b8c6996d2bcf261c76f8f94146b504fb.jpg20200730_163622.jpg.8f70863f41b5e3e3296ec6af9852e81b.jpg

After tidying, a few bits of wire etc will be added along with other detail bits as required, and lead added to the interior.

• Like 4

Does anybody know the colour codes for the old SYT choc and cream colours? Want to do the 114 that was painted up.

I`ll have a look if I got a cab interior for the 25 anywhere. I know i got one for a Bachmann chop, but cannot remember if it came with a cab.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Does anybody know the colour codes for the old SYT choc and cream colours? Want to do the 114 that was painted up.

I`ll have a look if I got a cab interior for the 25 anywhere. I know i got one for a Bachmann chop, but cannot remember if it came with a cab.

I've no idea on those colours sorry. I tried Peter's Spares for class 25 cab interiors but out of stock, might check Lendons, or otherwise knock something up from plasticard. If you have a pair going spare I'd be happy to take them off your hands though!

Thanks,

Martyn.

9 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

That lump of mazak on the left is the original weight iirc.

The ones I have owned in the past had the smaller square one, perhaps these were fitted to later releases? Either way I'm not complaining!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Having discovered I am right out of small crests for the 25, I have ordered some from Railtec.

In the meantime, work on the underframe has started. This lot, fitted by a previous owner, was in the battery box area:

20200730_163224.jpg.2daab3d077b3ca4a8bb160b510853563.jpg

Looks like a Hornby class 86 weight? Plus lots of blutack and some lead pieces. And a rewire job of dubious merits, which more or less fell out. The headcode lighting circuit and cab interiors were missing so I will have to source the latter.

Lots of holes were drilled around the fuel tank and battery boxes, joined with the scalpel, so that the waste material could be removed. Plasticard blanks were added further back and inside, with a little filler as required to give a more 3d effect.20200730_162720.jpg.6e95d5484c3ade7c5130b2a1f255da34.jpg20200730_162703.jpg.b8c6996d2bcf261c76f8f94146b504fb.jpg20200730_163622.jpg.8f70863f41b5e3e3296ec6af9852e81b.jpg

After tidying, a few bits of wire etc will be added along with other detail bits as required, and lead added to the interior.

Martyn,

I see your Class 25 is missing the perspex 'interior' that is the full length of the model, inside the outer shell. The perspex held the headcode lights and some metal 'tabs' to which the lighting, diodes, and motor circuits were mounted. It also helped with the fixing of the cab interior moulding. With all that metal weight in yours, the perspex would not have fitted.

If you want some photos of the cab moulding, to help with fabricating your own, let me know.

Incidentally, I fitted as much lead weight as I could fit in my Class 25 between the bogies (with the perspex fitted) and, while it will now pull quite a load on the flat, it's still rubbish on a gradient, even with new traction tyres. It you can, place as much weight as possible 'over' the power bogie.

I'm liking what you are doing with the exterior detail. I'll be using yours as a template for having a go at mine, sometime in the future.

• Thanks 1

Martyn,

I've been doing some sorting / filing of old postcards from the 1970s and came across the attached. Thought it might be of interest for your Class 126 Swindon Inter-City collection. The photo is of Sc51012 in 1979.

31072020162944.jpg.ab85093261f99de40c88ccb2a0c10c68.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

I see your Class 25 is missing the perspex 'interior' that is the full length of the model, inside the outer shell. The perspex held the headcode lights and some metal 'tabs' to which the lighting, diodes, and motor circuits were mounted. It also helped with the fixing of the cab interior moulding. With all that metal weight in yours, the perspex would not have fitted.

If you want some photos of the cab moulding, to help with fabricating your own, let me know.

Incidentally, I fitted as much lead weight as I could fit in my Class 25 between the bogies (with the perspex fitted) and, while it will now pull quite a load on the flat, it's still rubbish on a gradient, even with new traction tyres. It you can, place as much weight as possible 'over' the power bogie.

I'm liking what you are doing with the exterior detail. I'll be using yours as a template for having a go at mine, sometime in the future.

Hi Ian, 

Thanks, I probably should have mentioned that the missing perspex/ glazing is down to me; it was grotty and discoloured so went in the bin, but the lighting and wiring was missing, with just a badly fitted wire between the motor and trailing bogies in any case. Surprisingly all that weight did actually fit inside though, and it ran nicely when tested!

I have realised now that I should have fitted small securing brackets to the bodyside Louvres. After much head scratching as to why the same loco appeared fitted with them in some photos and without in others, I referred to Kylestrome's impressive Class 25 thread: 

Simply put, they were only fitted on one side! With having now painted the body they will have to remain absent, unless I can find a way of making and painting them BEFORE adding to the body. But then this was only meant as a quick project so their omission is no great loss. It can always run the "right" way round in any case! 

You have jogged a memory regarding the cab interiors, I may have those from my 24/1 as I used Bachmann ones when it had that body, and left them in situ when I swapped back to the Hornby body...

I think the changes to the fuel tank area will make the biggest visual change to the loco, it was this more than anything I really wanted to try.

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Check out the derby sulzer web site, make sure the date you are modelling the loco in is after it was dual braked. If before, you don`t need those catches. They were only fitted to enable the fitters to change the filters because they could not access the inside after the dual braking was fitted.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Check out the derby sulzer web site, make sure the date you are modelling the loco in is after it was dual braked. If before, you don`t need those catches. They were only fitted to enable the fitters to change the filters because they could not access the inside after the dual braking was fitted.

Thanks, yes that site is usually my first port of call, the 1969 photo of D7591 shows the catches quite prominently, and the 1972 photo (still in green) shows it hauling a Freightliner set. It may be possible to find another in the same livery that ran in Scotland that wasn't AB fitted but I've not really looked so far.

Martyn.

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks, yes that site is usually my first port of call, the 1969 photo of D7591 shows the catches quite prominently, and the 1972 photo (still in green) shows it hauling a Freightliner set. It may be possible to find another in the same livery that ran in Scotland that wasn't AB fitted but I've not really looked so far.

Martyn.

An alternative identity might be D7581 which also appears to have been in the same livery c.1970, also based at Haymarket.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/locomotives/25/hA8712D24#ha8712d24

If I can find out when it was fitted with air brakes; no date given on the Derby Sulzers site.....above photo of course shows the wrong side (but I suspect an air brake pipe is visible on the bufferbeam) and an internet search could only find it in 1964 prior to fitting or in TOPS blue, post conversion.....:dontknow:

Edited by Signaller69

5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

An alternative identity might be D7581 which also appears to have been in the same livery c.1970, also based at Haymarket.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/locomotives/25/hA8712D24#ha8712d24

If I can find out when it was fitted with air brakes; no date given on the Derby Sulzers site.....above photo of course shows the wrong side (but I suspect an air brake pipe is visible on the bufferbeam) and an internet search could only find it in 1964 prior to fitting or in TOPS blue, post conversion.....:dontknow:

Martyn,

The Ian Allan 'combined volume' for the end of 1972 shows 7581 air brake fitted.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The 25 is getting there slowly. The huge tension lock couplings have been removed which makes quite a big improvement to the appearance in itself. The chassis is having some of the fairly flat detail lifted with plasticard and the Lanarkshire buffers and coupling hooks have been fitted.

20200804_064237.jpg.92b2e0b2b1f8938df2d0df8c15722e11.jpg20200804_064340.jpg.8bd6b574f89dde903630ff2744639ede.jpg

The Railtech transfers have arrived, complete with custom numbers for D7591, but I'm thinking now I may do a Vac Braked only loco (due to the bodyside vent hinges on Dual brake fitted locos issue mentioned earlier), so more looking for photos of suitable candidates is required.

• Like 4