Hi again.

I have the Powercab and a slave unit, like in the photo above and it's great. The nz agent lives in Tauranga (the train depot) and helps me with settings and chips into my steam locos. I Don't use for any point or signal control yet so only scratching surface of its potential. But DCC works well for me.

Regards Andy R

Well that's pretty much decided it for me then! Time to invest in one

Hi again.

I have the Powercab and a slave unit, like in the photo above and it's great. The nz agent lives in Tauranga (the train depot) and helps me with settings and chips into my steam locos. I Don't use for any point or signal control yet so only scratching surface of its potential. But DCC works well for me.

Regards Andy R

I'll certainly order it off of him then!

Sadly two of mine got cancelled by Shapeways so I have to reorder them! Can't wait to see some pics of yours

Well I lost an argument with Shapeways and have had to change material that they are printed in. Basically they were saying that my design was too close to their design limits to print consistently at OO scale. Strange though that they could print one that I ordered at HO scale. The material cross section on that was obviously thinner, and it was actualy the HO model that was the one that I used to set the design standards for the model. The bench seats are therefore all now made only as sets of 6 in FUD. This is slightly cheaper than the previous price for 6 seats made in WSF. Because the FUD has a $5 per print job standard overhead, printing a single seat is just not viable.

Tom,

6' wide ? That is an awfully wide board or was that meant to be the width of the layout including fiddle yard? At 6' you would be just about modelling from the WCML embankment to the other side of the Parish Church but with only 3 lengths of track somewhere in the middle. Not being critical , but that is one hell of a stretch..

Anyway hopefully I will be starting to get a little more active soon and can look at things in a little more detail. ( That coming from someone writing this at 1;00am local time, who has been asleep under the influence of Morphine pain killers for half the day  :O )

All the best

Kev 

Tom,

6' wide ? That is an awfully wide board or was that meant to be the width of the layout including fiddle yard? At 6' you would be just about modelling from the WCML embankment to the other side of the Parish Church but with only 3 lengths of track somewhere in the middle. Not being critical , but that is one hell of a stretch..

Anyway hopefully I will be starting to get a little more active soon and can look at things in a little more detail. ( That coming from someone writing this at 1;00am local time, who has been asleep under the influence of Morphine pain killers for half the day  :O )

All the best

Kev

Good point! Between the apex of both tracks it is 3ft so I could get away with maybe 4 ft wide

• 1 month later...

Hello Tom

I came late to this thread but extremely impressed. I've often thought about modelling the station "across t'road", but that's all it's come to so far. 

I was based at 'WL' for several years as a driver, and this includes the period you're modelling.

Are you aware that the station was resignalled around this time? Just wondering which scheme you'll be going for, to be honest the resignalling wasn't all that different from the original, and in fact it made hitherto 'illegal' shunt moves legitimate. 

If you need me to pop down to get photos just ask. I am on holiday at the minute but will be back in Pieland mid-December.

Hello Tom

I came late to this thread but extremely impressed. I've often thought about modelling the station "across t'road", but that's all it's come to so far. 

I was based at 'WL' for several years as a driver, and this includes the period you're modelling.

Are you aware that the station was resignalled around this time? Just wondering which scheme you'll be going for, to be honest the resignalling wasn't all that different from the original, and in fact it made hitherto 'illegal' shunt moves legitimate. 

If you need me to pop down to get photos just ask. I am on holiday at the minute but will be back in Pieland mid-December.

Thank you for the offer!! The more pictures the better I say, and you'll know your way around the station better than I will I'd imagine. I am planning on doing the current signalling arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived