Hello and welcome to my layout forum!

I was born in Wigan and have always loved the railway, so I decided to model my local station. I am modelling it from 2004-Present day (which is the period that Northern Rail operated and maintained the station). I hope to capture the feel of the station, even in its some what dilapidated state. The layout will be roughly based off the image below: post-27300-0-33443900-1468640492_thumb.jpeg

If you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

There's already a topic on this station, but a different era. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106606-wigan-wallgate/

It may help with your layout.

Rob

Thank you Rob!

I have been in contact with Kevan, and he is an incredibly nice guy and his layout was the inspiration for mine!! He has very very kindly offered to assist me with mine.

Hi Tom,

Looks like a great project, nice to see another layout of this period as there was a good mix of traffic and liveries early 2000's.

How big are you planning it to be? Will it be a roundy roundy or fiddle yard either end?

Nice one,

John

Hi Tom,

Looks like a great project, nice to see another layout of this period as there was a good mix of traffic and liveries early 2000's.

How big are you planning it to be? Will it be a roundy roundy or fiddle yard either end?

Nice one,

John

Yes I agree on that! I already have quite a fleet growing!!

The platform will be roughly 8ft long, I currently don't have full dimensions as waiting on my C&L Finescale track.

The layout will be a "rounds roundy" haha because the full length tour trains would be too long to fit in fiddle yards at either end!

G'day Tom, 

Good to see you've got started with the topic, cheers for the glowing reference, Keep that up and I wont be able to get through the door!  :sungum:

A question while I am here, you referred to exhibiting the layout in the email, which side do you see as the visitor viewing side?

Did you watch the NZ Warriors swimming about in Perth, lovely weather didn't see any ducks about tho.HAHA

Kev

G'day Tom, 

Good to see you've got started with the topic, cheers for the glowing reference, Keep that up and I wont be able to get through the door!  :sungum:

A question while I am here, you referred to exhibiting the layout in the email, which side do you see as the visitor viewing side?

Did you watch the NZ Warriors swimming about in Perth, lovely weather didn't see any ducks about tho.HAHA

Kev

Hey Kev!

The rear of the layout will be King Street West, with the other side the viewing one.

I was lucky enough to be at Wallgate last week with my grandson. We saw one of the few (only) freight trains through Wallgate. The empty binliners from Roxby Gullet? to Knowsley. EWS 66 haulage.

I'm from Westhoughton and am modelling Bolton which is another freight desert these days!

At least you won't need much stock, 2 Pacers, 2 150s, and 2 156's

Regards,

John P

I was lucky enough to be at Wallgate last week with my grandson. We saw one of the few (only) freight trains through Wallgate. The empty binliners from Roxby Gullet? to Knowsley. EWS 66 haulage.

I'm from Westhoughton and am modelling Bolton which is another freight desert these days!

At least you won't need much stock, 2 Pacers, 2 150s, and 2 156's

Regards,

John P

Luckily for me Wigan Wallgate has a massive seclection of trains to model! It has around three charter/tour trains passing through every year! Plenty of network rail/Drs/colas test trains and also has a few route learning trains! Stupidly I bought much of the stock for these before buying the passenger stock haha

I have used your blog as an inspiration many times! I am planning on having a few repainted into the liveries soph own on there's. Just waiting on the realtrack announcement until I decide whether to splash out! Your resource is incredibly helpful, thank you very much for taking the time to put it together

Tom

Archived