Parkside-Dundas GWR Mink D

Recently bought a number of the OO scale P-D GWR Mink D vans.  While the instructions give suggestions for running numbers, there is no information provided for the "lower right" Tons & Tare.  Haven't found a clear photo on the web.  So, please advise: (1) Ton & Tare info for the Mink D; (2) were running numbers applied the the van ends; and (3) decal (transfer) suggestion to source these missing data.  Thanks.

George

North Carolina

• RMweb Gold

The Modelmaster Transfers section of Parkside's website lists pack M8131 for the Mink D wagon in GWR livery. 

None are listed for the BR era as these wagons received modifications (different ends and, in some cases, doors) not covered in the kit by then.

www.parksidedundas.co.uk

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Recently bought a number of the OO scale P-D GWR Mink D vans.  While the instructions give suggestions for running numbers, there is no information provided for the "lower right" Tons & Tare.  Haven't found a clear photo on the web.  So, please advise: (1) Ton & Tare info for the Mink D; (2) were running numbers applied the the van ends; and (3) decal (transfer) suggestion to source these missing data.  Thanks.

George

North Carolina

It all depends on the period you are modelling. I'll try to dig out an image or two depending on your answer. You can also get the V9 diagram out of the parkside V11 if you are prepared to adjust the wheelbase - a relatively straight forward job using the existing spring/axle box moulding in front of replacement drop in etched w irons (the mjt ones from dart castings are very good).

Drduncan

• RMweb Gold

1) The Mink D vans were rated at 10 tons all their lives according to Atkins et al. Tare 9-10.

2) Yes, if you use the 25" letter 1904 livery. Numbers were dropped from the end for the post 1923 livery with 16" letters however.

3) I've used the HMRS "GWR goods vehicle insignia" pack for all my kits.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Modelmaster Transfers section of Parkside's website lists pack M8131 for the Mink D wagon in GWR livery. 

None are listed for the BR era as these wagons received modifications (different ends and, in some cases, doors) not covered in the kit by then.

www.parksidedundas.co.uk

John

Pack M8131 is the one you want. Will contain virtually everything you need. However, I believe Old Time Workshop now produce this pack. You can obtain it either through the Old Time Workshop transfers section of Parkside's site, at:

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/Minipacks.html

or Old Time Workshop themselves, at:

http://www.oldtimeworkshop.co.uk/

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Back again.  The "Old Time Workshop" transfers for the Parkside-Dundas GWR Mink D contain WHITE lettering, while the kit is molded in deep brown plastic.  So, are these transfers, in fact, for a GWR GREY livery version or was white lettering used on brown wagons?  BTW, the lettering for the GWR "Python" is yellow.  Couldn't find colour pics on the web.  Thanks.

Back again.  The "Old Time Workshop" transfers for the Parkside-Dundas GWR Mink D contain WHITE lettering, while the kit is molded in deep brown plastic.  So, are these transfers, in fact, for a GWR GREY livery version or was white lettering used on brown wagons?  BTW, the lettering for the GWR "Python" is yellow.  Couldn't find colour pics on the web.  Thanks.

I think yellow lettering was reserved for 'Brown Stock' such as the Python, Siphons etc. Whilst the kit of the Mink D might have been moulded in brown, it is not a 'Brown' vehicle. I suspect it should be finished in grey.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last two I made were shortened to the correct length by butchering a third model.

Only downside was you can no longer fit the HMRS Siphon.F decal in the panel.

Underfame detail is a not 100% accurate, some better than others.

I keep threatening to go back and rejiggle them.

A coupla bonus pix of a Siphon.C using an 'F' kit and Ratio underframe.

Apologies to anyone who tuned in late expecting to see Mink D's.

post-16907-0-47782000-1511193424_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-27675900-1511193487_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-66614100-1511193597_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-14228200-1511193873_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-94055700-1511193974_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-86220400-1511194032_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-33454300-1511194112_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-49860800-1511194200_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-81482500-1511194332_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

To steer thread back on track some Mink D's (one still waiting to be finished).

I think I have about 8 Mink D's. The last two I got (pictured) are early Ian Kirk kits with the later Bonnet style ends.

and a Mink C thrown in for good measure!

post-16907-0-92978800-1511194477_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-47568800-1511194696_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-90650800-1511194882_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-71647100-1511194965_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The GWR bogie goods vans were the MINKS F, but there were not many of them.

The last two I made were shortened to the correct length by butchering a third model.

Only downside was you can no longer fit the HMRS Siphon.F decal in the panel.

Underfame detail is a not 100% accurate, some better than others.

I keep threatening to go back and rejiggle them.

A coupla bonus pix of a Siphon.C using an 'F' kit and Ratio underframe.

Apologies to anyone who tuned in late expecting to see Mink D's.

Oops 

Edited by 81C