Hornby Top Sellers (July '16)

Hroth

Just got an email from Hornby announcing what they consider to be their "top sellers" this month.

Top 5 best sellers:

1. INTERCITY 125 ANNIVERSARY PACK LIMITED EDITION R3403 £219.99
2. LSWR 4-4-2T ADAMS RADIAL 415 CLASS - LSWR PRESERVED R3335 £119.99
3. 7 PLANK WAGON 'PARK GATE' R6756 £11.99
4. 7 PLANK WAGON 'RICHARD WHITE & SONS' R6757 £11.99
5. Hornby VISITOR CENTRE 7 PLANK WAGON 2016  R6779  £8.99 (was £11.99)

Top 5 Pre-Orders

1. SANTA'S EXPRESS CHRISTMAS TRAIN SET R1185 £49.99
2. GOLDEN ARROW LAST STEAM RUN TRAIN PACK - LIMITED EDITION R3400 £289.99
3. SR 58' MAUNSELL (EX-LSWR 48’) REBUILT BRAKE THIRD CLASS NON-CORRIDOR R4717  £39.99
4. SR 58' MAUNSELL (EX-LSWR 48’) REBUILT LAVATORY BRAKE COMPOSITE R4719  £39.99
5. PECKETT 0-4-0ST  MANCHESTER SHIP CANAL R3428 £79.99

Its a pretty pointless exercise (there's no indication on what they're basing their listings) and the only reason I can guess for the Santa Set being their best selling pre-order is that its the cheapest train set Hornby is offering at present and ideal as a Christmas present, though you could get the similar "Caledonian Belle" set from Hattons for £39 including their delivery charge.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I'm puzzled as to how they know this. Direct orders, orders from traders, combination of both? Doesn't in the slightest influence me. I'd be surprised if it influenced anybody else . I suppose it increases visibility , but I just find it pointless. Straight into trash along with the equivalents from Airfix, Scalextric and Corgi

• RMweb Gold

If it is a properly run company and its marketing and sales department have a grip on detail,where's the surprise in this ? I would hope they do actually have the appropriate sales figures....something wrong if they don't,surely.

This is just one way of encouraging the punters to take a dip...tried and tested...Top Of The Pops? Why not.They surely need encouragement right now,rather than this forum's usual dose of cynicism.Whether you choose to be smitten or not is up to you.

Some of us obviously don't....nothing new there either.

Whilst I would generally agree with Ian's points (post above this one), I have been sceptical of any 'top seller'-type list ever since the day I learned that the bestseller book list had nothing whatsoever to do with how many books a given title had sold - publishers (among others, I suppose) pay to get on that list in anticipation of sales: it is a marketing tactic.

Caveat emptor !

Archived