RMweb

Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Shaun,

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you have such a disability (I didn't know!) and yet you still exhibit modelling skills that would humble most of us! I love the determination in your last post, as I'm obviously of the same mindset over my own illness. Don't let the b*stard grind you down! If you ever need to bounce ideas, or simply vent feelings, please feel free to PM me at any time - I look in at least a couple of times a day!

Very best of luck with whatever path you choose,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Well I still think if you are the brains behind the work, and your hand becomes a serious problem, employing a junior (who of course mind then might try to take your business!!!!!! by setting up them selves.....is still a consideration. Could you use the space for holding stock you sell on the internet? Where you could kep a lot more control over your customer base.

Your mums idea has serious value too. As a last resort. 

Also one potential idea. Oh hang I'll PM it as it is easy to do. Sorry guys Sasquatch needs this more than us.

Yes the injury was severe. Belgian law (where the accident happened) dictates  that I am 39% disabled and I only have a key grip. This new problem is the other hand!

I have made baseboards in a professional capacity in the past but I don't think there's much business around here for that! This would be the ideal job for me!!

First stop...........Kadee Couplers me thinks. 

Edit: Its funny how these big changes seem to come around every 7 years. I shall take the bull by the horns and do something in model railways, my passion!

Sasquatch.......mind made up!  

Bull Dog spirit, you just gotta love it ain't you.

Bodge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a very quiet 2 weeks during which the hand has been rested. Trigger finger has settled down and I can still hold my hand out flat so that's all good news for now.

Modeling has  been kept to weathering and repairing all those bits which go astray over time. You know what I'm talking about, buffer heads, coupling hooks, little animals and gutter & down pipes etc.

The new board is still awaiting the track but the filling has been done. This is a mix of foam shavings, saw dust and diluted PVA.

The Queensbury lines are in the foreground and will run behind Goathland, 4 lines 19' each capable of holding 6 trains in each direction. 

post-8964-0-62328800-1409519699.jpg

A couple of lightly weathered RTRs.....

post-8964-0-30020500-1409519720_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-04076400-1409519739_thumb.jpg

During a running session this lunch time I came across the latest scenic addition which had blended in so well it went unnoticed until it moved to another tree, it had its eye on one of my fawns!

post-8964-0-51381700-1409519752.jpg

post-8964-0-68866600-1409519765.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9

It has been a very quiet 2 weeks during which the hand has been rested. Trigger finger has settled down and I can still hold my hand out flat so that's all good news for now.

Modeling has  been kept to weathering and repairing all those bits which go astray over time. You know what I'm talking about, buffer heads, coupling hooks, little animals and gutter & down pipes etc.

The new board is still awaiting the track but the filling has been done. This is a mix of foam shavings, saw dust and diluted PVA.

The Queensbury lines are in the foreground and will run behind Goathland, 4 lines 19' each capable of holding 6 trains in each direction. 

attachicon.gifextension.JPG

A couple of lightly weathered RTRs.....

attachicon.gifUnited molasses.JPG

attachicon.gifWR brake.JPG

During a running session this lunch time I came across the latest scenic addition which had blended in so well it went unnoticed until it moved to another tree, it had its eye on one of my fawns!

attachicon.gifmantis.JPG

attachicon.gifmantis 2.JPG

Ah.! Grasshopper..!!, (taken from an old film........)

or.........

A Paying Mantras ......../.Locust..?

• RMweb Premium

Those things can bite! They are good to have in the veg garden though!

Yesterday saw me ripping the buildings off of Goathland for the repaint. I was never happy with the cinnamon colour!
First the gaps have been filled with wood filler which is wipped off/ smoothed over with a damp kitchen towel.
post-8964-0-46219000-1409610826.jpg

The mortar colour is painted on one wall at a time and wipped off with the towels leaving the paint in the mortar courses.
Stone colours are painted on. Crafters acrylics dry rather quickly about 15 minutes!
post-8964-0-92538100-1409610929_thumb.jpg

Then I pick out individual stones and weather with charcoal colour with a little burnt umber here and there.

post-8964-0-34818900-1409610914.jpg

post-8964-0-29922900-1409610888.jpg

The goods shed back shows how much better its all going to look when I've finished.

post-8964-0-45688200-1409610844.jpg

Am not looking forward to doing that viaduct though because it's quite a slow process!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Those things can bite! They are good to have in the veg garden though!

Yesterday saw me ripping the buildings off of Goathland for the repaint. I was never happy with the cinnamon colour!

First the gaps have been filled with wood filler which is wipped off/ smoothed over with a damp kitchen towel.

attachicon.gifrepaint 2.JPG

The mortar colour is painted on one wall at a time and wipped off with the towels leaving the paint in the mortar courses.

Stone colours are painted on. Crafters acrylics dry rather quickly about 15 minutes!

attachicon.gifRepaint 5.JPG

Then I pick out individual stones and weather with charcoal colour with a little burnt umber here and there.

attachicon.gifrepaint 4.JPG

attachicon.gifrepaint 3.JPG

The goods shed back shows how much better its all going to look when I've finished.

attachicon.gifrepaint 1.JPG

Am not looking forward to doing that viaduct though because it's quite a slow process!!

That weird terracotta colour in some picture looks correct....

I suspect that the other dirtier version is where the steam engines dirtied the station....before some idiot (apologies as the 'idiot' is probably on RMweb  :angel: )had the outside cleaned :O

I agree the dirtier station look is much nicer...... :sungum:

good job....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun - it's worth it though - and you know what I'm like with repainting… :)

Yes I've been bitten by the freebs bug! Trouble is I need to rip the whole layout apart mate. :nono: At least I have found the colours needed for the Yorkshire stone effect in the craft store and wont need to mix my own any longer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun, just catching up on your building repints, much better and will look terific when its all back together mate.

Crackin job boy.

Bodge

That weird terracotta colour in some picture looks correct....

I suspect that the other dirtier version is where the steam engines dirtied the station....before some idiot (apologies as the 'idiot' is probably on RMweb  :angel: )had the outside cleaned :O

I agree the dirtier station look is much nicer...... :sungum:

good job....

Thanks.

Some of the weathering is a bit OTT. I have been working from pictures on the internet and have picked out all the doors and down pipes in Humbrol #73 too!

Am still inspired by the late  Dave "Tetleys" Shakespeare when it comes to Yorkshire grot as far as stone work is concerned. The grotier the better!

post-8964-0-85044900-1409703964_thumb.jpg

the upstairs windows have been removed, to the scrap window box and replaced with clean stone as per the original.  

I should take off the 5boys enamel advert and put in the missing window as that has been bugging me also.

post-8964-0-57572900-1409703978.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Do your black widows hunt/trap the same way as red backs? The layout is looking good.

Yes! I believe the two species are closely related. The male Black Widows are a rare thing, I've never met anyone who has seen one.

Are your Red Backs blind?    

I don't know. They hunt however by hanging upside down from objects and dropping silken threads. When an unsuspecting ant or other bug runs into it, the spider drops down and bites the unsuspecting bug. Its the fact that they tend to hide away so readily and then bite the unwary finger is probably what makes them stand out compared to other crawlies. Redbacks and the Sydney funnel web are the only two spiders that you really need to worry about.

The painting is looking good.

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd post a couple of shots of the newly painted skaledale buildings in place on the layout. The late afternoon sun makes for some striking images.

post-8964-0-60503800-1409896135_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-22594100-1409896147.jpg

post-8964-0-89602300-1409896160.jpg

post-8964-0-93546900-1409896188_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-82422300-1409896206_thumb.jpg

The latest on the critter problems are a troop of raccoons who got into the grape vine and decimated our crop and a 13" pilated woodpecker who finished them off. So no home made Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches  this year. We did manage to can 7 quarts of pears though!

post-8964-0-39328900-1409896173.jpg  

• Like 12

Thanks.

Some of the weathering is a bit OTT. I have been working from pictures on the internet and have picked out all the doors and down pipes in Humbrol #73 too!

Am still inspired by the late  Dave "Tetleys" Shakespeare when it comes to Yorkshire grot as far as stone work is concerned. The grotier the better!

attachicon.gifgoathland station 1.JPG

the upstairs windows have been removed, to the scrap window box and replaced with clean stone as per the original.  

I should take off the 5boys enamel advert and put in the missing window as that has been bugging me also.

attachicon.gifgoathland station 2.JPG

I never noticed it before, your pictures must have cut it off, but that is a fine job on the chimney.

And the grot colouring is very evocative

Loving seeing the Goathland pictures :sungum:

• Like 1

Just outside the goods shed, now a cafe, there is a couple of 'red' 'posts', you can quickly model them.

Oh and a tip for making the water look good, come down low at a horizontal angle, when the natural light is hitting the surface, you get 'bounce back' on the light it makes the wage look much more realistic.

When you look down on it  and get an electric light reflection it looks very 'model!!!!'.

The weathering on your wagons, really lifts the realism. And the sun as you say made for some wonderful pictures. Having 'real' shadows does improve the picture. Love the dappled light through the trees.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock,

Good to have you back mate, I do hope all went well with your op.

The hand is doing really well, no pain and I'm keeping work to a minimum for now. There's nothing on the job front, at least the work keeps coming in albeit in dribs and drabs!

Regards Shaun

• RMweb Premium

Just outside the goods shed, now a cafe, there is a couple of 'red' 'posts', you can quickly model them.

Oh and a tip for making the water look good, come down low at a horizontal angle, when the natural light is hitting the surface, you get 'bounce back' on the light it makes the wage look much more realistic.

When you look down on it  and get an electric light reflection it looks very 'model!!!!'.

The weathering on your wagons, really lifts the realism. And the sun as you say made for some wonderful pictures. Having 'real' shadows does improve the picture. Love the dappled light through the trees.

I agree about the water. I will sand it down with 220 grit sand paper and give it two coats of boat varnish!

post-8964-0-79000900-1409951892_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

As a child I had a bad attack of bronchitis and was sent to Goathland to convalesce. I spent the summer in a house in the village near the church & used to go train spotting as I recovered on the NYMR. Maybe thats were I got the steam bug. Spent a lot of time at Darnhome watching the trains go past.  Riding on them was beyond my pocket money. You have got the spirit of the place in there! But it needs more sheep! Swaledales. Black faces with horns....  No model of Goathland can be without sheep. They are everywhere & usually where they shouldn't be! In gardens. On the road.  On the railway..... 

edit. Don't forget the cattle grids! They started making them with H girder & the sheep worked out how to get over them....  Worst offenders were hobbled. Problem with hill sheep is they can climb dry stone walls.  Particularly if hungry! 

Edited by L&Y