Fawley Oil trains Finale 25th August

• RMweb Premium

I've just done a bit of googling and recently the oil field was used as a gas storage facility with high pressure gas being injected for storage and later reuse.  That's if I've read it correctly.  Therefore it could be quite possible that Liquified natural gas was taken there by rail tanker.

Jamie

The route from Fawley to Holybourne is (almost was.....) via Havant and Guildford, with reversal in Alton station.

Return again via Guildford and Havant (but no need to go to Alton) to Eastleigh via Botley, where the train is recessed for the night.

I think there is only an early shift on the Marchwood/Fawley branch, hence the train can't return direct to Fawley.

I know that one can never-say-never when talking about railways, so bigP might well have taken full loads to Holybourne. But I don't think that's the flow we're focussing on here.

Regards.

Which route did they take? Havant & Guildford, or Winchester and run round at Woking?

Back in 1996-1999 when I worked in Westbury TOPS we produced the trainlists for the Holybourne crude oil working

and the train went via Woking to run round in each direction, as well as reversal at Alton

cheers

• RMweb Gold

I think there is only an early shift on the Marchwood/Fawley branch, hence the train can't return direct to Fawley.

Yes although it was occasionally extended to 12 hours to accommodate special workings.

• RMweb Gold

I was told it the road didn't meet the criteria for an AHB to be used and it was too expensive to install full cctv compared to retaining the crossing keeper. That was just the story I heard when training and I've never seen anything official on it.

It certainly made it more interesting with calling up School Rd before going out to do the Marchwood gates, then getting confirmation they were shut before sending the train on with the token.

It was a lovely box to operate particularly as it still had oil lamps into the 2000's. It was nice to do the lamps on a Wednesday in winter and watch the MOD shunting.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's an article about the end of the Fawley oil service in the latest issue of Rail. The subsidy paid to the Hythe ferry features quite highly IIRC the reason for not supporting a new train service is that the budget won't stretch to both the ferry and the train.

Jamie

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

They don't look like the bogie tanks used on the Holybourne tanks, so presumably they are still in store. I seem to recall that they ended up at the Holybourne terminal after that flow ended.

Peter,

It could well be that I'd worked a different flow to the one that has just finished and you guys are talking about.  No idea now what the UN number on the tanks was, but there was definately fluid loaded Fawley to Holybourne on the occasions I did it. 

I'd assumed oil came out of the ground and was taken Holybourne to Fawley, but was told otherwise at the time.  I remember seeing their little control room monitoring all the feeds from the remote wells and was told that stuff went out via a pipeline.

I believe GBRF used to take petroleum to Holybourne as well.  I can therefore only assume there is/was some need to supply the facility with a refined product.

Still, can't prove it so internet wins huh. 

Cheers,

bigP

This is the first time I have heard of loaded tank cars being delivered to Holybourne, so perhaps it was an irregular movement of some type of light oil for flushing out the pipelines, either to the wells prior to gas injection as mentioned by jamie92208, or the main pipeline now used to move the crude oil for refining.  It is highly unlikely that any Liquified Natural Gas would have been delivered by rail as (to the best of my knowledge) the Holybourne Terminal is not equipped to handle this commodity and I suspect that it would now be difficult to find rail tank cars or operational loading terminals capable of handling this traffic.

GBRf have not moved petroleum products to Holybourne but did operate one or two trial movements of crude oil to the Petrochem Carless Refinery at Parkeston Quay, however for whatever reason the trials did not result in any regular traffic.

The tank cars despatched from Fawley today appear to be the two axle type previously used to supply gas oil to railway depots, at least some of the bogie tanks used for the crude oil traffic were still in the terminal at Holybourne on 7th July 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's connected to this thread, but on Wednesday last week (26/07/17), I passed a convoy of around 5 or 6 bogie tanks, minus bogies at one end, heading north on a fleet of low-loaders.

Although it's just less than a week ago, I can't remember it was on the A34 South of Oxford, or on the M40 north of Oxford.