Canadian 'F' Units - (was) - now NS in Pennsylvania

br2975

I recently spent ten days in Ontario (Canada) and New York & Pennsylanvia.
The reason for the visit was many fold, to stay at The Station Inn, Cresson and watch the procession of Norfolk Southern freights from the front porch, and also visit the Horseshoe Curve now that the foliage has been cut back to allow an almost uniterrupted view of trains on the whole curve.
A few provincial/regional shortlines were visited also, including the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, but most importantly the Ontario Southland Railway, 50miles route length linking both CN and CP with several industries.
The OSRR shops are at Salford Ont. and as remote as one can imagine, being located adjacent to a level crossing in farmers fields.
Turning up out of the blue, and asking to photograph the locos, and for any information on the whereabouts of the three FP9s on their roster was rewarded with a guided tour of the shops, the line up of locos outside and a potted history of each loco.
We found that currently the line can operate a full seven days, albeit there was no planned service last Sunday, and on the day of our visit seven locos were working

When it was time to leave, our guide used his cell phone (mobile to us) to contact the conductor on the one working F9 and ascertain its current location and arranged a photo oportunity at Beachville Ont.
Here are the three FP9ARM units currently on the roster:-
1400 - former Via 6303, originally CN 6539 (stood outside the Salford shop)
1401 - former Via 6312, originally CN 6523 (working between the Cami Plant and Woodstock Ont. the CP interchange)
6508 - former Via 6508, originally CN 6508 (undergoing maintenance inside the shop,access restricted due to staff working)

I would like to thank the OSR staff for taking time out to allow us to visit their railway.
If anyone is interested in further photos from this ten day trip, please let me know.
Brian R

post-1599-0-10974100-1470352332_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-98030600-1470352358_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-30764300-1470352379_thumb.jpg

A few more shots of our visit to the OSR on 21st. July.

As I mentioned previously, the OSR shops at Salford are a tad remote, and very rural, and stand alongside the OSR Port Burwell Subdivision which runs left to right along the far wall of the shop building and crosses the road on the level. 

On the far side of the Port Burwell sub is a siding containing both stored and serviceable locos in the open. These locos are hidden by the shop building in the photo.

The OSR St.Thomas Subdivision crosses the CN Dundas Subdivision on the level at Carew, and on this occasion the OSR train had to wait whilst a CN freight headed by  ES44DC No.2288 emphasised the CN priority .

A couple more shots show switching at Woodstock Ont. where the OSR arrange traffic for collection by CP (Woodstock is on the CP Galt Subdivision)

On the day of our visit the trailing loco was GP9u, Ontario Southland Railway No.1620, originally CP GP9 No.8659, later 1620.

The GP9u would lead on the return working to Salford.

Brian R

post-1599-0-11259400-1470421829_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-84668600-1470421860_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-81591100-1470421886_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-32539700-1470421916_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-11431800-1470421942_thumb.jpg

After a couple of days on the CN at Brantford, Georgetown, Scotch Block Ont. and also the CP at Guelph Jct. we crossed the border and travelled south to Pennsylvania thro' New York State - where the Buffalo & Pittsburgh (Genessee & Wyoming) literally 'out of the blue' produced a veritable feast of power for our cameras...................anyone interested ? 

Of course!

Stand by, Stand by !

Still indexing and editing some 1,200 photos from a ten days jaunt.

Drop by tomorrow for the B&P at Salmanca NY and Johnsonburg PA.

If you are really good, I may throw in some R.J.Corman SD40s as well.

Brian R

Once in a while railway enthusiasts strike lucky, and a week ago today (Saturday 23rd. July 2016), we did.

My companion Peter, from bitter experience, anticipated long queues at the Canadian / US border point across the Peace Bridge in Buffalo NY.

As we rolled up to the dozen or so booths, there was no other vehicle in sight !

Because of my UK passport, and even though the UK forms part of the VWP and I still had a valid ESTA........I was ushered into the office,and  subjected to a rigorous interrogation by the US Immigration official.

"What is the purpose of your visit to the USA Brian ?"

"To visit the Railroaders Museum in Altoona ?"

"You like railroads ?"

"Yes"

"Do you have a model railroad /"

"Yes"

What scale ?"

"We call it four mil, similar to HO Scale, but we Brits have to be different"

"How big is your layout ?"

"Not as big as I'd like !"

"Welcome to the United States Brian, enjoy your visit....."

And so, following Route 219 from Buffalo (NY) south toward our eventual destination of Cresson (Pa) we found ourselves passing through the small town of Salamanca NY as the sun was struggling to rise over the Alleghenies and the town was shrouded in mist.

As we passed Linden Avenue, Peter 'slammed on the anchors' reversed, and then took off into the side street. 

He'd seen a train, and yes there it was, parked behind a hedge, ticking over and totally unattended !

We had found the Gennesee & Wyoming's Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad, and in particular a southbound freight headed by Wellsboro & Corning Railroad No.302 (a SD40-2 and one time Quebec, North Shore & Labrador No.230) and B & P No.462 (a SD45R originally SP No.7495, later their 8825).

As we snapped away, our inner pleasure turned to (almost) ecstasy, as a groaning behind us heralded the approach of two light engines, heading north.

Out of the heavy mist and poor light rolled Rapid City, Pierre & Eastern No.6410 (another SD40-2 and originally UP No.3695) and B & P No.3344 (a SD40-3 originally KCS No.6609, later their 3148).

The light engines rolled through without stopping, or even advertising their presence ( the 5,000 inhabitants of Salamanca were mostly still asleep).

With no sign of the crew of the southbound freight, and therefore no apparent movement in the forseeable future we continued our journey south - pleased with ourselves - to our next stop,  Johnsonburg PA.

Brian R

post-1599-0-53826900-1470474954_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-09408000-1470474982_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-60381100-1470475017_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-90016400-1470475043_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-02502200-1470475092_thumb.jpg

Taking our leave of Salamanca NY we continued south along Route 219 and forty minutes later we were passing Bradford PA.

Bradford PA has two claims to fame, firstly a large proportion of the town is occupied by the "American Refining Group".

The space that is left is taken up by the "Zippo Lighter Case Museum"  (sadly we didn't have time to stop and gaze open mouthed at a collection of cigarette lighters !)

We did catch a glimpse of two further B&P locos, 3001 (a GP40 that started life as C&O No.4082, before becoming C&O 4025 thence CSXT 6600 and later 6837) and another GP40 No.3021, both tied down for the weekend.

So, forty-five minutes further south we entered Johnsonburg PA, which appears to be a few houses surrounding a large paper mill - great views of which can be had from the 'Veterans of Johnsonburg Overpass' and even better, East Central Street allows a great view of the B&P Johnsonburg Yard where we found B&P GP38 No.7803 (originally Penn Central 7803 and Conrail 7803) still in its' Conrail blue.

Brockway PA has a large "Owens Illinois" glass works, but there was no sign of any rail traffic.

Differently, Dubois PA contained an extremely large, and apparently busy 'Rescar' wagon repair plant.

Next up...... Cresson Steel and a veritable Barry Docks of UP cabs !

Brian R

post-1599-0-05195400-1470506084_thumb.jpg

Cresson Steel are a scrap business based in Sankertown, "the other side of the tracks" from Cresson PA.

At present they are disposing of Norfolk Southern "Dash 9s" and some freight cars.

This forms part of an ongoing programme by Norfolk Southern who have bought a large number of surplus SD90MACs from EMD, the majority of which are former UP locomotives.

NS at their Altoona shops are replacing the cabs of the second hand SD90MACs with new 'Admiral' cabs, new control systems, new cab signalling and replacemnt traction motors. The finished article will be a SD70ACU, 'similar' to the existing SD70AC locos in NS service.

The redundant cabs from the SD90MACs are being 'processed' by Cresson Steel, who also have a "44 tonner" for internal movements.

A photo of the stored SD90MACs at Altoona will follow in due course.

Please note, on the day we were allowed to film the plant was closed - it is private property, and as with all scrapyards can be hazardous.

Brian R

post-1599-0-96810500-1470668500_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-24199400-1470668536_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-94770600-1470668576_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-90102000-1470668681_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-89678100-1470668707_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-19270900-1470668729_thumb.jpg

Some of the locos being scrapped at Cresson are Dash-8s (your second picture).

I like the photos of the WCOR locos - the Wellsboro and Corning is one of my favourite shortlines. I presume the slowing of the fracking operations in the Wellsboro area has freed up the motive power for other uses.

If you get up into the Williamsport area, don't miss English's Model Railroad store (co-located with the Bowser factory in Montoursville, PA).

Adrian

(i)

Some of the locos being scrapped at Cresson are Dash-8s (your second picture).

(ii)

I like the photos of the WCOR locos - the Wellsboro and Corning is one of my favourite shortlines. I presume the slowing of the fracking operations in the Wellsboro area has freed up the motive power for other uses.

(iii)

If you get up into the Williamsport area, don't miss English's Model Railroad store (co-located with the Bowser factory in Montoursville, PA).

Adrian

To answer each of Adrian's points  individually:-

(i) - typo compounded by lack of knowledge !

(ii) - we didn't expect to see anything at Salamanca, let alone locos from other G & W operations, and there was absolutely no one about to ask !

(iii) - only got to Credit Valley Models this time - memo to self "don't forget your wants list next time".

Brian

The Station Inn, Cresson - including our first floor rooms and our base for a few days, can be seen behind NS Dash-9 No.9708  as it heads west on a raft of autoracks.

Brian R

EDIT:- NS train 11J, empty autoracks Newark NJ - Oakwood MI.

post-1599-0-99435400-1470756575_thumb.jpg

(i) - typo compounded by lack of knowledge !

Actually, the top two are Dash-8s, only the cab of 8866 is a Dash-9 (and that may be a re-cab rather than a scrap). The easiest spotting feature for a Dash-8 vs. a Dash-9 is the thinner radiator wings.

Adrian

I too was a bit confused, the loco so in the photo are definitely Dash 8s. Dash 9s may have gone down the pecking order following the introduction of GEVOs and othe fleets but they are still young enough to earn their corn.

Cheers

Chris

Moving on, and out of sequence, we visit the Norfolk Southern, Rose Yard in Altoona PA.

Those familiar with NS operations in the area will know that NS employs 'helpers' to assist trains around the Horseshoe Curve and over the summit near Gallitzin PA.

NS have a fleet of some 58 SD40E locos (6300-6357) which are dedicated to such duties, operating in pairs, albeit some trains will employ two pairs ( four ) of helpers.

Not only do they assist a train up the 'hill' but also hold it back on the descent.

At the east end, most helpers are attached or detached at Rose Yard, Altoona which is where the first photo shows seven pairs awaiting the call to duty on Monday 25th. July.

In a post above I also mentioned that NS recently purchased a large number of SD90MACs from EMD, which are being rebuilt into SD70ACU at the NS Juniata Shops in Altoona.

In the second photo, a line of stored SD90MACs can be seen in Rose Yard, with an even longer line parked alongside Juniata Shops in the distance....together with New Haven No.231 which had been repainted at Juniata by NS and which was moved west toward Pittsburgh (DIT) the following day. I caught it on video at Horseshoe Curve.

The final shot for tonight shows a former UP SD90MAC being prepared for stripping at Altoona shops. In order to capture this loco (and the now withdrawn NS Business Train F units) I had to scale and then balance upon a 20'0" high wall next to a drug store.......the locals must be used to 'railfans' performing such stunts, as no one batted an eyelid.

More from Juniata Shops in the near future.

Brian R

post-1599-0-57497900-1470866801_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-74244200-1470866858_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-65091100-1470867151_thumb.jpg

For those that don't know, the SD40Es are rebuilt from SD50 (and SD50S) cores, downgraded to 3000hp (still with an EMD 645 V-16) for reliability. They are mostly ex-CR units although a few are ex-SOU and two are ex-NW. Since they are intended to run as helper sets, the cabs have not been upgraded so they still look like SD50s.

Adrian

Archived