Land Rover Ambulance in N scale

NeilMac

I have been testing to see what I can do using Shapeways Full Colour Sandstone (FCS). This material allows models to be printed in full colour so therefore not needing painting. However it does have greater limits, i.e. minimum wall thickness, minimum printable detail size etc from other materials. I did find that an N scale road vehicle is possible within these limits.

The vehicle I chose to create to test this was the Land Rover series 2 ambulance. When I had completed the basic model and applied 3 different colour schemes.

Army, green;

post-997-0-86301000-1470382252.jpg

Army, sand;

post-997-0-59742500-1470382259.jpg

RAF, blue

post-997-0-74459400-1470382275.jpg

These models are now available in my shop. If anyone wants to add any to their next Shapeways order here are the links;

Land Rover Ambulance, Army green: http://shpws.me/Mv8i

Land Rover Ambulance, Army sand: http://shpws.me/MvWq

Land Rover Ambulance, RAF blue: http://shpws.me/MraU

How about an optional spare wheel for the bonnet?

The headlights in the wings make your Land Rover a Series 2A, for a Series 2 the head lights should be in the middle.

Gordon A

Gordon,

Correct on the type, I had meant to type 2a, but I guess I was sending this out too early in the morning!

As for the spare wheel - good idea. I am not sure a separate wheel would work because the minimum thickness for separately printed details in this material is is 4mm, i.e. 24' in N scale. However an option of a model with the wheel created as an integral part would work, so I will look into that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about posting up a photo of the actual product (rather than just a drawing)?

G.

Grahame,

Could not reply earlier, as I am currently without a laptop. Hope to get a replacement soon, but until then just getting access when I can.

I really should have photographed what I printed, but when my 'test shots' of these models arrived I almost immediately passed them on to an N scaler who needed to quickly populate a layout. All I have left at the moment are earlier attempts at these models which are not nearly as well detailed. When I do get another order together for myself then I will get some photos taken.

I may also try a white UN version. Did the UN ever use series 2A Land Rover ambulances? I have seen a model of one, but could not find any photographs of the actual vehicle.

• 1 month later...

PG Models has several Land Rovers in their N gauge military models including the ambulance.  They also have kits for armour, heavy lorries, light vehicles, RAF vehicles and even the Scammell Commander tank transporter (the last item is a 40 piece kit in pewter!).  I have just found them after doing a search on Google for Scammell tank transporters.

Regards,

Steve

Archived