Stoke a plan.

You never cease to amaze with the swift production of this magnum opus. You write that it is going to be taken to exhibitions but that will be a major undertaking and require detailed planning as well as a large vehicle. Your locos will run "real" miles and perhaps wear will become an issue over time. It is a fantastic effort and hopefully will be an excellent ambassador for the hobby wherever it goes.

Martin Long 

Some really impressive stuff 71000, but as someone who is really struggling with the time demands to make something 1/20th of the size, is this all in real time or have you been building for several years and your very comprehensive updates are write ups of progress so far?

Are you working on your own or do you have a whole team of people building with you?  

Even though I'm fully retired, even the simplest job seems to gobble up days of my time and as someone who can take hours to wire up one small board, I can only stand back in admiration at the size of the project and the complexity of the block control system.... :good:

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Some really impressive stuff 71000, but as someone who is really struggling with the time demands to make something 1/20th of the size, is this all in real time or have you been building for several years and your very comprehensive updates are write ups of progress so far?

Are you working on your own or do you have a whole team of people building with you?  

Even though I'm fully retired, even the simplest job seems to gobble up days of my time and as someone who can take hours to wire up one small board, I can only stand back in admiration at the size of the project and the complexity of the block control system.... :good:

I think it's something in the Spanish water Gordon, Rocket Ron puts the rest of us to shame too.

I'm drinking the wrong stuff!

Mike.

Hi ya, you're posting late!

Don't Peco large radius points compromise your minimum radius which I recall as being 5 or 6ft?  Although Peco say they're 5ft radius, discussion and tracksetta measurements elsewhere indicate they're actually 4ft radius though the switch section.

Buhar, 

Still trying to edit the spelling mistakes out actually, as you posted your comment !

Not as far as I'm aware with the Long Radius code 75 points. There were certainly issues with the old code 100 type.  

I feel for the LN's having given good service being threatened with extinction!  It is early days yet and the promised new offering may not be as good as what you have and they certainly look the part!

Martin Long

I feel for the LN's having given good service being threatened with extinction!  It is early days yet and the promised new offering may not be as good as what you have and they certainly look the part!

Martin Long

Edited by 71000

Could you not re-chassis the old ones and use Romford/Markits wheels? That would allow more weight in the large bodies. I really like the LNs though I rarely saw one as the SR was nearly all Bulleids in the time I was watching. (I have seen  the preserved one a lot though.) They have a purposeful look about them and the exhaust sound is really good when they get working.

I was surprised at the work necessary on the "gate" stock. Given the price of these should they not have been "right" at the start?

Anyway thank you for the pictures and the information. In awe of your productivity.

Martin Long

Could you not re-chassis the old ones and use Romford/Markits wheels? That would allow more weight in the large bodies. I really like the LNs though I rarely saw one as the SR was nearly all Bulleids in the time I was watching. (I have seen  the preserved one a lot though.) They have a purposeful look about them and the exhaust sound is really good when they get working.

I was surprised at the work necessary on the "gate" stock. Given the price of these should they not have been "right" at the start?

Anyway thank you for the pictures and the information. In awe of your productivity.

Martin Long

Edited by 71000

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 71000

I have to say this project is amazing, makes my plans for a 150cm x 40cm shunting layout pale into insignificance, I always look forward to your updates. I suspect you will have a wonderful time exhibiting/operating it when the time comes.

Keep up the good work and the updates.

Bryan,

Indeed I like your Postcode 21C142

Yes, this "Monstrous Opus" as someone else called it. But then I've always been into large layouts. The last one I built in Britain was for the then "Duke of Gloucester" Ops manager, sadly no longer with us. But that layout was 60 ft x 30ft, and based on Berkeley Road on the Bristol to Gloucester line in steam days. 

The trick with large layouts, if you can't afford to buy Buckingham Palace. Is to find a nice Spanish Millionaire who's built himself a Railway Museum, and make him an offer he can't refuse. Basically he gets another tourist attraction, and I get the space for the layout. So I can play trains (full size and model), and he picks up the running costs.

See my other page "Mora la Nova Railway Museum" under preservation here on RMweb.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 1

Bryan,

Indeed I like your Postcode 21C142

Yes, this "Monstrous Opus" as someone else called it. But then I've always been into large layouts. The last one I built in Britain was for the then "Duke of Gloucester" Ops manager, sadly no longer with us. But that layout was 60 ft x 30ft, and based on Berkeley Road on the Bristol to Gloucester line in steam days. 

The trick with large layouts, if you can't afford to buy Buckingham Palace. Is to find a nice Spanish Millionaire who's built himself a Railway Museum, and make him an offer he can't refuse. Basically he gets another tourist attraction, and I get the space for the layout. So I can play trains (full size and model), and he picks up the running costs.

See my other page "Mora la Nova Railway Museum" under preservation here on RMweb.

Don't you just love Bulleid's numbering! ;)

I am guessing you're referring to the indomitable Peter King, I was a volunteer at DRC when the Duke transferred from GCR to go mainline, seems a long time ago now.

I did once have a dream of building Hastings in the room over the garage (4m x 4m) but it never came to fruition, I was still working at the time; but the shunting layout is coming along.

• Like 1

Looking good mate.

A slight change of period will allow some EMUs to run.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Dave Smith.

Dave,

Thank you very much, that's an honour coming from you.

I'm intentionally doing 58-67 so I can get the Bournemouth electrification in. Just have to stretch a point with the 58-65 part of my era. Loads of BIL's and HAL's. And all the parts for a 4REP, just got to build it.....

Don't you just love Bulleid's numbering! ;)

I am guessing you're referring to the indomitable Peter King, I was a volunteer at DRC when the Duke transferred from GCR to go mainline, seems a long time ago now.

I did once have a dream of building Hastings in the room over the garage (4m x 4m) but it never came to fruition, I was still working at the time; but the shunting layout is coming along.

Bryan,

Yes indeed Peter King, he was a neighbour and very good friend for many years. So the layout I built him was in his large "Coaching House" in his garden. His missus however had a fit when she found out how much the layout was costing, and divorced him.... I then found him down at Didcot living in the Duke of Gloucester's support coach. Although he retrieved his house (and the layout), as her ladyship had buzzed off with the local Farmers son. It was actually all quite hilarious, kept the village buzzing for months, and all because of a model railway ! 

• Like 1

Ayo - great layout, great descriptions! 

Please can you demonstrate how you modify tender locos to move the two parts much closer together?

Cheers!

George 

Thankyou very much for your appreciation.

Loco to tender couplings. 

I'll take a few pics, and add an explanation to my next Post for you, and any others interested in this sort of modification.  Probably next Sunday or Monday, as I'm slaving over a very hot saw today....

• Like 1

I can recall seeing the GW locos at Basingstoke though I only personally saw "Halls". One was shining the other very scruffy. Otherwise they are rare and exotic birds as far as I was concerned, I did see a very shiny Castle from the underground as we were running into Paddington and did not believe all that polished brass! You have a fine selection there and thy look a lot better for your ministrations to them.

Martin Long

• RMweb Gold

It should also be said here, that the normal method of marshalling coaches into rakes on the Western was to have the corridor in each coach on the opposite side from the previous one. So corridors changed sides as you moved along the train. The main reason for this is that if you move along the narrow corridor you have to turn slightly to negotiate the corridor gangway between vehicles. If the corridor in the next vehicle is on the opposite side, again you only have to negotiate a slight change in direction. You are therefore effectively moving diagonally through the joined gangways. And do NOT have to then negotiate a sharp turn into a corridor on the same side as the one you have just left. The toilet door areas were also so designed to aid this movement, which becomes very noticeable if you are also humping a load of luggage ! Hornby have as a result correctly modelled both "Left" and "Right" handed Corridor Composites and Brake Seconds, so you can arrange your stock correctly. Think about that !

attachicon.gifBR Lozenge black.gif

Do you happen to know if the LMS did this as well? Great simple coupling by the way - i am doing something similar to my rolling stock. First attempt was on my Airfix coaches, using 0.8mm wire fixed at the old coupling anchor points on the bogies. the bent wire under the corridor connection (folded black paper) was bent to represent the hoses. My second attempt on my Bachmann coaches is using the screw couplings, but by adding a tiny loop one end I can extend it to attached the other coach. I will use black 7/0.2 wire for the hoses. I cannot close up the gap completely due to my tightish curve going into the fiddle yard, but I can reduce the huge gap caused by the "toy" couplings. Using sprung buffers is also helping. 

Edited by ianLMS