Stoke a plan.

I wouldn't know much about couplers, but do rather like them when they work.

In the meantime here is a picture based on a b+w photo at the Andover Flyover,  I am required by the moderators to advise readers that it is edited.   

Lord Nelson class BR 30851 'Sir Francis Drake' on an up West of England express c1957.

cheers

Rob,

Edited by 71000

Isn't that the whole point of standardisation, that, irrespective of fixed variables like floors and such like, the socket comes out at the same height? The fact that a European standard exists is a bit irrelevant as OO and HO stock wouldn't be coupled together in normal circumstances, but it would have been good to at least have UK manufacturers on the same page.

Mike.

Mike,

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Gold

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

Update: That nasty white stuff !!! 

As the weather here, around Mora, which is 20 miles inland. Has suddenly become very nasty, and we have snow on the hills and mountains around. Temperatures in Mora itself dropped from 15 - 16C last Thursday to only around 4 - 6C on Friday. So I have not been able to get into the workshop since last Thursday, as the workshop has no facilites for heating.

So no pics or progress with the actual layout at the moment, and this nasty weather is set to delay progress for around another week. 

I am however ploughing forward with progress on the layouts stock, which I do at home, and should have some more details and pics shortly.

Luxury.

You seem to be a tad behind us Southerners, we've had snow on the hills for about a week now, and it ain't getting any warmer as you say.

It is fun though when visiting Benidorm to see the unprepared grockles shivering in their shorts and tee shirts because they know it's always warm in Spain, so didn't pack any protective outerwear!

Mike.

Rob,

That's excellent. This is actually "Worting Junction" a mile or so South of Basingstoke. Where the Southampton and Salisbury lines divide. The bridge seen in your picture, I have already modelled, and the model can be seen in one of my first Posts here on this page.

Yes of course, and I know it is Worting Junction, I just get crossed wires all too often when writing captions, and have seen all your posts showing your excellent model of the area. My apologies.

Cheers

Bike2steam !

Ah ha, yes "Lord Rowallen" withdrawn 12/67 from Carlisle Kingmoor shed.  Thanks.  

Indeed, although when that pic was taken she was allocated to Oxley, just before a move, along with a few others, to Banbury. The Black 5's that turned up at Bournemouth were usually those from Banbury, with a few from Oxley, Tyseley, and Bescot.

Edited by bike2steam

Re matt black rattle cans.

Have you got a Games Workshop franchise in your neck of the woods?

Their Chaos Black and Skull White are excellent paints, along with all the other strangely named colours and washes.

Mike.

Mike,

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Games Workshop, around here ! Have to go to Barcelona 100miles up the road just for a tin of Humbrol. In any case I thought Games workshop paints were acrylic ?

There is a small art shop in one of our local small towns which has a GW rack in it, which I only discovered by accident, you may have a similar one, just a thought.

Apologies, I didn't realise you weren't an acrylic type of chap, although IMHO, acrylic is the best way to go theses days for truly flat matt colours with out dramas.

Mike.

There is a small art shop in one of our local small towns which has a GW rack in it, which I only discovered by accident, you may have a similar one, just a thought.

Apologies, I didn't realise you weren't an acrylic type of chap, although IMHO, acrylic is the best way to go theses days for truly flat matt colours with out dramas.

Mike.

Mike,

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Gold

Duke, I don't wish it to seem I am "ensenando a mi abuela a chupar huevos", but there are manufacturers of BR acrylic colours, Railmatch and Lifecolor spring to mind.

I am based between Benidorm and Alicante, so therefore share your pain at not being able to easily obtain supplies, but historically I have never worried too much about using the "correct" named colour as with wear and tear the original shade degrades anyway, and once you start weathering stock the colours disappear or change shade.

As a case in point, my mineral wagons are sprayed with a selection of about 6 different greys, ranging from "proper" BR grey, via Games Workshop, Vallejo and Tamiya aircraft shades to give the tonal variation that life inflicted on them, and that's without the different shades applied by the manufacturer, and as you have found, the same shade of a colour from one manufacturer can be a totally different interpretation to another.

Of course, all of the above is only relevant to my aspirations, as with everything in this hobby, it's all a personal thing.

Mike.

Duke, I don't wish it to seem I am "ensenando a mi abuela a chupar huevos", but there are manufacturers of BR acrylic colours, Railmatch and Lifecolor spring to mind.

I am based between Benidorm and Alicante, so therefore share your pain at not being able to easily obtain supplies, but historically I have never worried too much about using the "correct" named colour as with wear and tear the original shade degrades anyway, and once you start weathering stock the colours disappear or change shade.

As a case in point, my mineral wagons are sprayed with a selection of about 6 different greys, ranging from "proper" BR grey, via Games Workshop, Vallejo and Tamiya aircraft shades to give the tonal variation that life inflicted on them, and that's without the different shades applied by the manufacturer, and as you have found, the same shade of a colour from one manufacturer can be a totally different interpretation to another.

Of course, all of the above is only relevant to my aspirations, as with everything in this hobby, it's all a personal thing.

Mike.

Mike,

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Uh, but I've got a whole load of "Railmatch" paints in my cupboard and they all declare themselves to be "enamel" and appear to work like enamel ?

"Lifecolor" yes acrylic but I wasn't aware they did any BR colours, as I know they are a US firm. I only came across them because I have a friend in Military modelling.

Like you, I'm not averse to using substitutes if I can match the colour. The local spray paints I mentioned use the German RAL colour coding system. So in theory you have a guaranteed match if you know the colour code. But the problem of this Spanish range is that, as the Spanish Museum boss said. "The Spanish botch everything and won't change in a thousands years". So they had to go in the bin.

As I now have to go to Barcelona soon, as my list of modelling needs is getting longer. Which now includes Peco code 75 rail-joiners, and Decal fix, I shall just have to take what paints I can find.

Railmatch acrylic paints keep the same reference number, but with an extra 2 prefix.

A recent-ish development, hence yours being "old" stock.

Mike.

Mike.

Thanks for posting.

A very insightful view of the local scene. Logistical problems prevent me from visiting this year, but a weekend away next year beckons, then there will be 2 of us building pointwork!

Any more pictures etc much appreciated.

Mike.

Mike,

Edited by 71000

Fascinating to see a continental model show. I was aware of their modular approach to things as I have seen these in Germany but I had not appreciated the way the modules are strung together without some sort of plan. The Germans have this all prepared including timetables etc. The show looks not to have been too well supported but perhaps you were able to take the pictures during the slacker periods. Not too many families either it would seem. The trade support seems to be very good and their stands look very "professional". Do they actually sell from them or is it all a PR exercise like it is in Nuremberg and elsewhere further north?

The narrow gauge modules look to be of a standard that would hold up anywhere so there are some talented modellers about. 

I wonder if the further south you go, the better the weather, and the attraction of sitting in the warm is better than fiddling with soldering irons etc which is something we in the north do as we cannot get outside as it is too dark and cold. (On that measure Norway should have the best modellers in Europe!)

Thank you for the pictures and stories.

Martin Long

Fascinating to see a continental model show. I was aware of their modular approach to things as I have seen these in Germany but I had not appreciated the way the modules are strung together without some sort of plan. The Germans have this all prepared including timetables etc. The show looks not to have been too well supported but perhaps you were able to take the pictures during the slacker periods. Not too many families either it would seem. The trade support seems to be very good and their stands look very "professional". Do they actually sell from them or is it all a PR exercise like it is in Nuremberg and elsewhere further north?

The narrow gauge modules look to be of a standard that would hold up anywhere so there are some talented modellers about. 

I wonder if the further south you go, the better the weather, and the attraction of sitting in the warm is better than fiddling with soldering irons etc which is something we in the north do as we cannot get outside as it is too dark and cold. (On that measure Norway should have the best modellers in Europe!)

Thank you for the pictures and stories.

Martin Long

Martin,

Edited by 71000
  • Like 4