WIRING LEDs

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Im using the excellent Megapoints Controller and Ive now come to wire up the control panel and I'd like to use LED's to indicate which way the point is set, using DPDT On-On toggle switches.

These are throwing the servos with no problems at all (common to centre tab and throw to top tab on one bank of the switch).  

I should say now that unfortunately I've no means of taking photos (phone knackered and camera out on loan!) so I'll describe as best as I can.

Initially I wired the toggles & LED's as per this link with no success, then I tried this video again with no success.  So I went back to basics and tried just one LED at a time, taking the power from incoming supply to the anode, returning to the common, completed with appropriate resistor.  Nothing!  No light!  So I then tried various combinations of power to the anode, cathode, resistor and no resistor, using different switches and LEDs, again nothing!  

If I take out the toggle and wire the LED direct to the pos and neg of the Megapoints board, the LED lights!

When trying with a separate supply from a battery, via toggles and resistors the LED's light no probs.

So, I must be doing something wrong, has anyone managed to build a control panel with LED indication taking the power from a Megapoints board?

Guest 40-something

Hi Dave

Thanks for the offer, Im working down south at the mo, just coming home on the occasional weekends, but I'd be interested in any notes you guys have on your progress?

Guest 40-something

Another question folks...

I've wired up led's using this diagram, red and green, using a spdt toggle powered with a stable power supply (12v DC mains)

When wired like this, nothing works.  If I take the pos+ wire off 1 led then the other will work when the switch is in the right position.

What am I doing wrong?  This is driving me bonkers.  I've tried different switches, different styles all with the same result. 

HELP!!!!

Guest 40-something

Hi

Suspect one LED (the one that's not illuminating) is either the wrong way around or it has blown?

Test it in place of the known working one, ensuring its the right way around.

Hi Brian

Tested the LEDs and tried others all with the same result, I'm truly baffled

Guest 40-something

Hi Brian

Tested the LEDs and tried others all with the same result, I'm truly baffled

Sorted!!! After staring at the diagram, and others, I realised I had fed the neg- to the centre pin of the toggle, and the pos+ from the top and bottom pins. No blooming wonder it didn't work!!!

So after i jumped out of bed, I rewired with the neg- going straight to the LED cathodes and the toggle switching the pos+ to the anodes. As it should be.

Doh and faceplant times!

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, its much appreciated.

Sorted!!! After staring at the diagram, and others, I realised I had fed the neg- to the centre pin of the toggle, and the pos+ from the top and bottom pins. No blooming wonder it didn't work!!!

So after i jumped out of bed, I rewired with the neg- going straight to the LED cathodes and the toggle switching the pos+ to the anodes. As it should be.

Doh and faceplant times!

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, its much appreciated.

Glad you got it all sorted and as said in pm your welcome to visit anytime.

Dave.

Guest 40-something

Glad you got it all sorted and as said in pm your welcome to visit anytime.

Dave.

Hi Dave

I'll certainly be in touch when I go back home in a few weeks time!

Archived