Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Fox or 247?

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

As I have some money to spend I've decided to but a GWR green Hall and would like to give it a new name and number as the printed ones don't look right to me and would like to know whether to go for Fox etched plates or 247 Developments plates:blink: . 247 only produce the names for one of my 4 loco shortlist (sad I know :rolleyes:) but as they are going to the York show that makes it a bit more convenient. Does the price difference reflect a better quality set of plates from Fox or do the 247 ones need painting before fitting? Thanks in advance for any answers.

• RMweb Gold

As I have some money to spend I've decided to but a GWR green Hall and would like to give it a new name and number as the printed ones don't look right to me and would like to know whether to go for Fox etched plates or 247 Developments plates:blink: . 247 only produce the names for one of my 4 loco shortlist (sad I know :rolleyes:) but as they are going to the York show that makes it a bit more convenient. Does the price difference reflect a better quality set of plates from Fox or do the 247 ones need painting before fitting? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Yous pays your money etc.Fox are dearer but as you say the qualitys there.I prefer them if they do the name I want.Having said that I renumbered a GW Hall myself and used 247 plates.Don't forget the transfer to line the plate if using 247.They are both to my knowledge available painted green.I would also say that Fox are better on the customer service front as I've never had a reply to any email I've sent to 247.They do shows though as you mentioned.

Heres my renamed Hall.

post-126-126843015506_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yous pays your money etc.Fox are dearer but as you say the qualitys there.I prefer them if they do the name I want.Having said that I renumbered a GW Hall myself and used 247 plates.Don't forget the transfer to line the plate if using 247.They are both to my knowledge available painted green.I would also say that Fox are better on the customer service front as I've never had a reply to any email I've sent to 247.They do shows though as you mentioned.

Heres my renamed Hall.

The Hall is very nice indeed! :icon_thumbsup2: I think I'll go for the 247 plates as I'm a tight so and so. ;)

P.S are there any simple improvements that can be made to the Hall (It'll recieve some very light weathering and a crew like all of my fleet) or there not a lot to do?

• RMweb Gold

The Hall is very nice indeed! :icon_thumbsup2: I think I'll go for the 247 plates as I'm a tight so and so. ;)

P.S are there any simple improvements that can be made to the Hall (It'll recieve some very light weathering and a crew like all of my fleet) or there not a lot to do?

I used an etched fallplate [a modified Jackson/Evans I think]to hide the gap between loco and tender.Which name are you going for out of interest ? Don't forget some lamps as well.

• RMweb Gold

Ummm the name is going to be either 4919 Donnington Hall, 4951 Pendleford Hall, 6937 Conyngham Hall or 6953 Leighton Hall. At the monemt I'm leaning towards Donnington (hmmm I wounder why :D)

I think you can still get CGW name and numberplates from International Models. "Pendeford Hall" would certainly be on the list, as the late Guy Williams himself used a CGW set for one of the "Halls" he built for his book "The 4mm Engine"

Archived