2010 Castle - Pointless Tender Pickups

RedgateModels

I'm looking to add pickups to the other side, so will probably just run two wires direct to the pub and junk the metal drawbar.... Lord knows what the bean counters were thinking with this bit of genius design.....

Good idea but wouldn’t two pipes to the pub be more practical?

I'm looking to add pickups to the other side, so will probably just run two wires direct to the pub and junk the metal drawbar.... Lord knows what the bean counters were thinking with this bit of genius design.....

You mean the genius design that they inherited from Dave Jones and co. at Dapol?

• RMweb Gold

You mean the genius design that they inherited from Dave Jones and co. at Dapol?

Harsh, from memory the ex-Dapol design DID have a connection from the chassis to the motor. Looks like when this was reworked by Hornby to use a can motor and dcc ready the chassis connection was missed or even deliberately omitted.

Dave Jones was not working at Dapol when they decided to replace the former Airfix tender drive with their loco drive.

I thought Hornby kept that drive as is (I had one of their castles once though from say 2001, it was the same as Dapols) and was not aware they upgraded it to DCC. The county - using a similar (or same) chassis was upgraded with DCC and 5 pole can motor just prior to popping into the railroad range.

The new castle of course - is not only better detail wise  - but also has loco and tender pickups, a DCC plug in the tender and has the 5 pole motor.

...I thought Hornby kept that drive as is (I had one of their castles once though from say 2001, it was the same as Dapols) and was not aware they upgraded it to DCC. The county - using a similar (or same) chassis was upgraded with DCC and 5 pole can motor just prior to popping into the railroad range.

The new castle of course - is not only better detail wise  - but also has loco and tender pickups, a DCC plug in the tender and has the 5 pole motor.

Hornby made the same drive revision on the Dapby Castle as on the Dapby County, and it had a can motor for a brief spell as its final variant; until superseded by the all-new tooling currently in the range.  Which is indeed as good a model as you might hope to find in a Hornby box.

If I remember correctly the new Castle chassis with 5 pole worm drive motor was issued for the Bristol Castle version only, it may also have been used for other set models of the time. Hornby didn't advertise the change and in the end Bristol Castle models were heavily discounted. I bought 3 to use the chassis to upgrade my earlier Airfix and Dapol models. It was a strange decision to upgrade the chassis on the verge of producing an all new model, as the old Castle has not appeared in the Railroad range yet.

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an update, loco is now running fine over insulfrog points etc. Here's the standard tender pickups - note wire to bypass the not connected anyway drawbar...

DSC_0047.JPG.deeab4e188dcbf6d897813881bbe082a.JPG

And this is what I added using a bit of pcb material and pb wire 🙂

DSC_0048.JPG.e125ddb992b813571e6d5e4e51964095.JPG

Hope this helps someone

If I remember correctly the new Castle chassis with 5 pole worm drive motor was issued for the Bristol Castle version only, it may also have been used for other set models of the time. Hornby didn't advertise the change and in the end Bristol Castle models were heavily discounted. I bought 3 to use the chassis to upgrade my earlier Airfix and Dapol models. It was a strange decision to upgrade the chassis on the verge of producing an all new model, as the old Castle has not appeared in the Railroad range yet.

I have the impression that the Dapol County and Castle shared much of the chassis. So it's possible the upgrade on Bristol Castle is now found under the counties.

Archived