Parkside 'Bloater' instructions needed!

• RMweb Gold

I'd be very grateful to any kind soul who could scan or photocopy me a set of the Parkside instructions for the 'Bloater' van. I have acquired second-hand an unbuilt Parkside kit for the vehicle, together with an unbuilt Masokits etched brass chassis (the latter does have it's instructions). Whilst it's fairly obvious where most of the plastic bits should go, I'd feel a bit easier if I had the 'official' Parkside instruction sheet to hand.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Probably Parkside could help. I've got a set somewhere though, which I could scan for you if I can find them.

Thanks David - yes, I guess I could go to Parkside, but if you have a set that's conveniently scan-able, that would be brilliant, thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Tim,

Whilst I can't help with your request I'm curious where a Bloater fits into your modelling time period?

I thought they were long gone by the late 50's/early 60's but if you know any different I would love to hear about it.

It all depends if I can find them! My normally poor filing system is rather disrupted at present! THe kit is languishing in a half built state in a box and all the instructions are in another box.

AFAIK the BLOATERs lasted until the end of the traffic they were built for.

• RMweb Gold

I'm curious where a Bloater fits into your modelling time period? I thought they were long gone by the late 50's/early 60's but if you know any different I would love to hear about it.

AFAIK the BLOATERs lasted until the end of the traffic they were built for.

The Bloaters were withdrawn from fish traffic by the GWR in 19443, but some went into departmental service and lasted 'well into BR days'.

So, the options for this kit are either build it in P4 as a departmental vehicle or in OO as a South Polden Light Railway vehicle, bought out of service from the GWR. Either way, it will be quite tatty, but my preference is for the P4 departmental version.

On the other hand, it is quite similar to a Fruit 'D', so I wonder if I could use the chassis kit under a Dapol body?

• RMweb Gold

So, the options for this kit are either build it in P4 as a departmental vehicle or in OO as a South Polden Light Railway vehicle, bought out of service from the GWR. Either way, it will be quite tatty, but my preference is for the P4 departmental version.

Tim.Thats no way to treat a distinguished GW vehicle. ;) I wouldn't mind seeing your build on the Masokits chassis by the way.

Again AFAIK (given to error!) BLOATERs had Dean-Churchward brake gear and FRUIT Ds lever brake, but I could be wrong.

My first search for the instructions has been unsucessful, I'm afraid - they could be with the rest of the kit or...

The usual reference has the latest photos around 1950 in withdrawn condition.

Again AFAIK (given to error!) BLOATERs had Dean-Churchward brake gear and FRUIT Ds lever brake, but I could be wrong.

Yes Fruit D's had lever; the other kit Mike did was the Mink G which is also DC. I still need to finish the Masokits chassis on mine that I started a few years ago. I found it a bit over complex really but could probably revisit it soon now i've improved a bit.

• RMweb Gold

My first search for the instructions has been unsucessful, I'm afraid - they could be with the rest of the kit or...

The usual reference has the latest photos around 1950 in withdrawn condition.

OK, thanks anyway, I'll ask Parkside for a set of instructions. :)

Regarding withdrawl dates for these vans, the Parkside instructions are I feel a little misleading.

There are 4 diagrams in total (S8-11) covering only very minor variations (presence of ventilators, type of buffers and location /type of side and end vents. Quite a number survived in traffic use until the late 1950s, some as fish vans and some as parcels vans. Common modifications include the progressive loss of ventilation slots through re-planking and, for the parcel vans, replacement hinged doors of the Mink G type.

There are details in Historic Carriage Drawings vol 3 (Tatlow) but the key work of reference is a very substantial article by John Lewis in GWRJ issue number 7.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Regarding withdrawl dates for these vans, the Parkside instructions are I feel a little misleading.

There are 4 diagrams in total (S8-11) covering only very minor variations (presence of ventilators, type of buffers and location /type of side and end vents. Quite a number survived in traffic use until the late 1950s, some as fish vans and some as parcels vans. Common modifications include the progressive loss of ventilation slots through re-planking and, for the parcel vans, replacement hinged doors of the Mink G type.

There are details in Historic Carriage Drawings vol 3 (Tatlow) but the key work of reference is a very substantial article by John Lewis in GWRJ issue number 7.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's very useful, perhaps I'll build it as one that survived very late in service. I'll see if I've got GWRJ No.7 as well... :icon_thumbsup2:

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be very grateful to any kind soul who could scan or photocopy me a set of the Parkside instructions for the 'Bloater' van. I have acquired second-hand an unbuilt Parkside kit for the vehicle, together with an unbuilt Masokits etched brass chassis (the latter does have it's instructions). Whilst it's fairly obvious where most of the plastic bits should go, I'd feel a bit easier if I had the 'official' Parkside instruction sheet to hand.

Many thanks.

HI, HERE'S MINE WITH MY PERSONAL NOTES ON, HOPE IT'S USEFUL, SUSPECT THE BUFFERS ARE UNUSEABLE, GET SOME MJT ONES?

RAILHEADpost-9181-127073783349_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

HI, HERE'S MINE WITH MY PERSONAL NOTES ON, HOPE IT'S USEFUL, SUSPECT THE BUFFERS ARE UNUSEABLE, GET SOME MJT ONES?

RAILHEADpost-9181-127073783349_thumb.jpg

Well, that now makes two kind individuals who have sent me instructions, so many thanks to you both!

Archived