Boswells Oxford

David Bigcheeseplant

I popped into Boswewlls in Oxford today the model department is closing in January but currently is offering 20% off everything Hornby, Airfix and Humbrol.

As everything must go I think Jon the chap running the department will take much more off to clear stock and I came away with goods with at least 33% deducted off my total bill, in fact Humbrol paints were £1 per pot once I had brought a 1/25 Airfix Mosquito!

There seemed to be plenty of Hornby Collet coaches in all flavours too.

David

Can't be much left (if anything) dealing with model Railways in Oxford / Oxfordshire. that means my "local" model railway establishment must be the shop in Bourton-on-the-Water (Glos.)!!

Howes are still going though they're now on an industrial estate in Kidlington near the aerodrome. I still think of them as the shop in Broad Street in Oxford with a shop that seemed to go back for miles and where I spent some of my pocket money. That was a long time ago and I don't know how much smaller they are now.

I'm afraid Howes now only deal with their Railmatch range of paints, Howes Sound decoder kits/reblows and Heljan spare parts. There is now no new Bachmann, Heljan, Hornby or Peco products as well as some of the smaller manufacturers products for sale although secondhand does appear from time to time. I'm just advising before people make an unneccessary journey expecting a vast choice and being disappointed. It is always best to ring beforehand 01865 848000. 

I popped into Boswewlls in Oxford today the model department is closing in January but currently is offering 20% off everything Hornby, Airfix and Humbrol.

David

That's sad news, I've been visiting Boswells for models since the late 60s and even though I now live nearly 400 miles away, I still pop in whenever I'm seeing family in Oxford. Thanks for letting us know David.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Discount is now changed to 10% from 20%.

I went in during the fair and resisted, but rethought my plans and went back yesterday for a set of Colletts. At the checkout I was offered 10%, but pointed out the 20% off notices, (now removed) up on the shelves, and got the full discount.

So whether there is a change in the closure plans I don't know, but maybe they'll be there a bit longer.

Thanks

Dave

Howes have re-located due to the success of the business, strangely though to much smaller unit on the same industrial estate.

Howes actually relocated in a premises swap to enable the plant hire company, GAP, next door to be able to use the parking area and building to their advantage. The building that Howes are now in was also leased by GAP but it also has a mezzanine floor to provide more warehouse storage space for the RC department.

• 1 month later...

Discount is now changed to 10% from 20%.

I went in during the fair and resisted, but rethought my plans and went back yesterday for a set of Colletts. At the checkout I was offered 10%, but pointed out the 20% off notices, (now removed) up on the shelves, and got the full discount.

So whether there is a change in the closure plans I don't know, but maybe they'll be there a bit longer.

Thanks

Dave

I was in Boswells today and spoke to Jon. They are still dropping Hornby including Airfix Corgi Humbrol and SCX cars as they were a Hornby consession which is ending. Only the Revell range will be stocked. Sad ...its the end of an era.

I too can remember Howes when they were in Broad Street. Those were the days ! They kept Triang TT and various finescale extras for 3mm modelling. A PROPER model shop. Where has it all gone.

Clive, is there any timescale for when Boswell's are dropping Hornby, and (this sounds terrible) is there any discount to clear the stock ?

Forgot to ask that vital question ! Too busy buying a Hornby 28xx ! But a young lady on the counter said it was definitely going at the end of the year (which is not far away).

Maybe they will wait and see what sells in the run up to Christmas. No discount at the moment. Perhaps a lot of the stock will return to Hornby. Next time I'm in (possibly next week) I will probe.

Clive, is there any timescale for when Boswell's are dropping Hornby, and (this sounds terrible) is there any discount to clear the stock ?

Been into Boswells today. 20% discount back on across all Hornby products until Christmas to help clear stock. Jon says any remaining stock will probably go back to Hornby....perhaps their Swindon shop.

Well get in there !

• 3 weeks later...

Went there today after work, picked up 2 BR collett coaches at the 20% off price. I asked the young lady serving when the department was closing, she said by the end of December but had no confirmed date.

Regards Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Been in today. Had another chat with Jon. Discount goes up to 30% from today to give the stock a final push. Still plenty of Hornby Skaledale. Gresley Coaches. Scalextric. Airfix.

Hornby still sending through their latest releases including Coke wagons ...only LMS left I think. B12s ....only LNER left because I scooped up the BR ones. Peckett tanks in all three liveries. Get there fast !

Update for 29th December !

All Pecketts sold not surprisingly. One LNER B12 left (and at least one LNER Q6). Couple of class 60s and couple of 67s, A few other diesels inc 08 with sound in modern image livery. A few steam left inc J50 B17 Serlby O1 LNER D16 and silver A4s. Plenty of rolling stock and Skaledale. Some LMS Coke wagons still there!

Airfix kits thinning fast. Still some Corgi aircraft and plenty Scalextric.

Boswells have a very nice café on same floor just a few yard away so you can think over coffee to get the courage to buy some more. (based on my own experience!).

• RMweb Gold

Having spotted last night that Boswell's still had in stock the Hornby LSWR-liveried M7, I succumbed!

With the 30% discount applied, it came to £91, post free, a good price for this model though I am sorry to see Boswell's will no longer be model railway stockists as I spent a spare bit of my time / money in there over the years while in Oxford on business...

cheers,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

IT'S ALL OVER!

Went in today and the department has been cleared of all stock ( remainder sent back to Hornby). A team of shopfitters were in the area making modifications. Jon is now becoming a member of Boswell's staff having effectively been made redundant by Hornby. I wonder how many people realise that Concession staff were Hornby employees and have been made redundant. Didn't see that in the press ?

With OPC at Headington roundabout long since gone and with Howes recently abandoning model railways (apart from DCC sound fitting) there is no longer any source of model railways in Oxford or for miles around.

However....one small exception. Auto Models, the little shop in the covered market have a couple of Oxford Rail Radial tanks in their window. No wagons stocked though. They still have a small stock of Oxford diecast cars.

END OF AN ERA. SAD.

That is indeed sad news Clive. I was planning to have a look in at Boswells on my next visit to Oxford in a week's time, but no point now ! My earliest memory of Boswells is Grandma buying me a Triang Pullman coach in the mid 1960s; We chose 'Mary' as that is my Mum's name. As you say, the end of an era.

Archived