Voltage regulator for DC control

FrankS

As a low budget controller while I decide whether to go over to DCC, I've been using an Ebay bargain variable voltage regulator (see picture). Running off a 10v supply, and with the addition of a switch to reverse polarity, it works well enough for my current purposes (basically a test track where I try to sort out other Ebay bargains) - with one drawback: no short circuit/overload protection. Is there a simple way to add this?

post-12276-0-04165900-1472848061_thumb.jpg

I expect the regulating chip is probably of the LM317 family which has built in overload, short circuit and thermal protection, so no additional device is required. For indication purposes a bulb as Dagworth suggests would do or add a LED (with a 1K0 resister in series) on the output of the module before the switch to indicate when it's on.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

The car light bulb is the traditional way before electronics made it cheaper* safer** and quicker***.

*if built into the PSU

**if built into the PSU. They cut the circuit instead of reducing the current. 

***Electronics can be much quicker than waiting for a filament to warm up (including a Fuse!).

You can get resettable fuses now (various ratings and properties) but even they don't "cut the circuit".

You can also add a resister/LED in series across this resettable fuse to indicate a "problem" on the layout.

Kev.

I do not know what regulator chip this version uses, but all common voltage regulators are inherently short circuit proof. The circuit inside monitors the current drawn by the load, and shuts down as it goes outside limits. This assumes no further output stage has been added that is not protected. The load added by the bulb is a very good belt and braces solution.

The Ebay Chinese regulator boards are very good, difficult to build one from scratch at the price.

Stephen

One thing the LM series are not good at is low voltage, they do not start upwards from zero volts to the max, and this can cause issues with sensitive coreless motors, so the extra resistance of the bulb helps, also you can add a diode in series, before the reversing switch, this drops further voltage. Both reduce the max voltage, but who uses max voltage all the time?

Stephen

Hi Frank,

having a throttle that looks much the same as yours

I suspect that it is not based on an LM317 IC.

Instead it may be Thyristor driven *.

If so, you should not use it for powering machines with

portescap motors or small N-scale locos.

Regards

Armin

*edit: in this case there would also be no overload protection built in.

If it does regulate voltage then it is not ideal for a shunting plank but should be ideal for any layout with sharp curves and gradients.

Morleys and OnTrack get over the low voltage issues with a control where 0 volts is half way from fast forward to fast reverse, with a centre "off" pot.   With standard pot you can't really get a good low speed control.   With 10 volts you can't get line speed from a lot of mechanisms, Bachmann Std 5 is one of the worst.

From Ebay, From China.....£3.74 inc postage , a PWM 12volt to 30volt input DC speed control board with a centre off reversing switch, and off board, plug in, speed control knob...I doubt you could assemble it for less, it appears to be MOSfets in the circuit, but the numbers are un-readable as usual.

A section of the board is around an IC that appears to be the source of the PWM control circuit. No sure whether the output stage  is short circuit proof. It works fine with conventional motors or large coreless motors, but is noisy with small coreless types. Shorts on 12 volts DC did not result in high currents, so protection must be in place.

Note DC input, not AC input

post-6750-0-56947200-1473554923_thumb.jpg

Stephen

Archived