Rimenough Mpd (EWS DCC sound)

Piemanlarger

do you have turns and diagrams etc that the locos work too?

You could be really mad and then add the turns all together over time and then engines could go for a,b and c exams. Would get you thinking about availablity etc etc.

Thats what I'd do, but then I'm mentalhuh.gif

Nothing moves off my stabling point unless its needed.

cheerio

Claggy.

PS Great pics by the way.

do you have turns and diagrams etc that the locos work too?

You could be really mad and then add the turns all together over time and then engines could go for a,b and c exams. Would get you thinking about availablity etc etc.

Thats what I'd do, but then I'm mentalhuh.gif

Nothing moves off my stabling point unless its needed.

cheerio

Claggy.

PS Great pics by the way.

No, I just move things around and in / off depot. The 37's top n Tail or tripple headed were popular moves.

I think i will use the card system next time out though as you do forget what you moved last etc!

Hi Guys, I Love coming back to this Layout to see its progression and it looks great with the Lighting, Keep it up and keep the pictures coming in. I'm watching with interest... as it slowly comes together... 7APT7

Looking superb is this an exhabtion layout and could take some viedo of it for us to see it more in the flesh?

Sam

It started as a home layout, well the first 3 versions. Thing was every time i took it out i re-built it more for exhibition use. So, this time, the 4th and i think final re-build, it was built with exhibition use in mind more so than home use. Saying that, it is fun to play with at home and as it happens, I had planned on doing some video of the new depot this very evening!

watch this space, or to be more precise my u-tube vids.

this the old layout, mk 2 or possibly 3!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

its the "fine" ballast, which i suspect is for n guage?

Yes, the Woodlands Scenic "fine" is supposedly for N, but I used it on Hendre Lane, and the little crate layout (Bracty / Roath Minor). Personally, I think the OO ballast is a little too chunky + coarse for OO - but I'm in the middle of building a small O gauge layout - and I think the OO ballast looks fine for that!

Have heared of people using Budgie Grit for ballast - & one chap who used Chinchilla Dust!!!!

So check out the pet shops!

M :D

Regarding your Howes sound chips, I always asked when ordering if the can be set up for a small layout

which then allows me to thrash a bit without running out of track! Big Jim put me onto this as he knows

Brian who does the chips for Howes.

cheers

Keith

Regarding your Howes sound chips, I always asked when ordering if the can be set up for a small layout

which then allows me to thrash a bit without running out of track! Big Jim put me onto this as he knows

Brian who does the chips for Howes.

cheers

Keith

Do you know how they are changed for your needs? Cv changed i suspect as it takes longer to re-do the project.

the trouble is, when set for small layouts you cant really use them on tailchaser and get a fast getaway. Ok for when on a heavey train (ala 37 on oil tanks vids) but no good on the rhymney 4 coach passenger train.

No probs with notching, can do both layout styles.

Morning Chaps,

I may have missed this in the thread (apologies if I have) but what size is Rimenough Piemanlarger?

Thanks for a cracking thread showing the progression! Hugely inspiring as so many are on here.

Stu

Do you know how they are changed for your needs? Cv changed i suspect as it takes longer to re-do the project.

the trouble is, when set for small layouts you cant really use them on tailchaser and get a fast getaway. Ok for when on a heavey train (ala 37 on oil tanks vids) but no good on the rhymney 4 coach passenger train.

No probs with notching, can do both layout styles.

The simple answer is NO, Big Jim on here pointed the option out to me and I requested it when ordering.

I have a test track circle and have not found any problems with the sound when giving the loco a run up.

cheers

Keith

• 1 month later...

Morning Chaps,

I may have missed this in the thread (apologies if I have) but what size is Rimenough Piemanlarger?

Thanks for a cracking thread showing the progression! Hugely inspiring as so many are on here.

Stu

New Rimenough is 2 x 9 ft. Old rimenough started as 2 x 8, then went to 10, now back to 9!

Well, spent the last week doing some small jobs on the layout.

Been adding buffer stop lights, depot signs, lights for the inside of the sheds and replaced the short track lengths that bridged the boards with copperclad + soldered rails. Just got to re-ballast the area around these rails now and carry on wethering / detailing parts of the layouts building, trackbeds etc.

Nearly forgot, also replaced the old fuel storge tank with a knightwing kit so will post some photos later of what has been happening.

Right, this was the site of the old fuel storage tank (drain pipe!)

oldtankgone.jpg

And this is the result of building a knightwing kit to which i have added an old knightwing tank i had here. Added some lighting too as refueling in the dark winter will be a bit of a struggle with a torch!

newfueltanks.jpg

Re-did the track joins

copperclad.jpg

Still not finished as more weathering to be done but its coming

freshballast.jpg

This is Fitter Phil looking for some his track rubber!

fitterphil.jpg

This is Dave Diesel waiting to top up the next loco

fuelroad.jpg

Been putting in the buffer stops and lights

wheelfelloff.jpg

Bit of a conflab as the wheel has come off!

bufferstoplights.jpg

Hoping not to have to do any work tomorrow and can carry on with some layout jobs!!

Decided to try and get a few more locos finished now 2most" of the depot work is done.

So here is I.K.B. ready for a railtour, or perhaps just off one? I did have a 247 Pathfinders headboard lined up and i have to say its a super headboard, but its mainly green and i thaught it clashed a bit much with the loco so will use it on a 37.

Thus, I.K.B is now lightly weathered and ready to roll.

welshman.jpg

roof.jpg

side.jpg

60016 Rail was next on the to do list.

chassisspeakersbody.jpg

I dont like the clean wheels and bogie sideframes, even if a loco has been cleaned these are nearly always dirty /rusty

cleanwheelsandbogie.jpg

So i picked a mix of rust and sleeper grime to weather down the wheels

rustywheels3.jpg

rustywheels.jpg

I soaked the printed numbers /letters in micro sol and then i use a scalple blade to push the paint off when its softened. Sometimes a fibre glass pencil removes stubon bits.

removingnumbers.jpg

and they come off ok (to me!)

numbersoff.jpg

I use fox number sets to put the new Ews letters and numbers on and shawplan nameplates + beastie for cab ends

newnumbersname.jpg

and thus another 60 is ready to be stored by DB! not really, my period is 2003 + - 3 years so plenty of Tug work to do yet.

sideview.jpg

cab.jpg

top.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived