Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oh Jack, what have you started...

Robatron86

Inspired by Jack's half pint Budd, I present the half pint heavyweight...

20160914_233508.jpg

Currently held together by blue tack and just popped on the chassis, but it's a start. It was a challenge as the roof and the glazing are one piece...

Wonderful - well done - does that make it a "Light-weight"? I don't know how much vertical space you have inside, I just wonder if the chassis will fit inside to lower it a bit - looking at the height of the steps?

Edited by shortliner

Thanks Prof and Jack. I wouldn't call it a lightweight. Judging by the size of the baggage compartment it can certainly hold its drink. Also having the mechanism from a GP30 means it will certainly pull more than it realistically should.

The term half pint heavyweight makes me think of a really short boxer...

Now, the next question is, do I leave it in the brown livery, and make a trailer for it, or paint it silver to match my MOW heavyweight and make it an inspection type vehicle?

A switcher chassis is a great option, it is a bit lower and has trucks that more closely resemble the trucks used on doodle bugs.  You can also just use one powered truck under the "cab" end and then a lighter passenger truck under the "trailing" end.  That was what I used 40 years ago to kitbash a doodle bug (before Bachmann came out with theirs).

I hate to say it, but a six-wheel truck (rather like Oscar and Piker [see below] of hallowed memory might be good. I believe there were a couple more "nonsense cars a "jail-box, and a Jimmy Carter Peanut-car - I just wonder how to fit the motor

post-6688-0-56944500-1473956155_thumb.jpg

Oscar and Piker

I seem to remember there is an actual switching loco built fairly recently on a 6-wheel power truck - This isn't it BTW - but if it gives anyone ideas....

post-6688-0-66833300-1473956798.png

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 3