The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

OS Press Release - the paper road maps are back

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Press release from Ordnance Survey today (just too late for the summer holidays): https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/about/news/2016/os-relaunches-road-maps.html

They're back by popular demand! The brand new OS Road map series is now available to buy.

Covering all of Britain in 1:250 000 scale mapping, these maps make the perfect accompaniment when planning longer car journeys – helping you to find the most interesting and scenic routes to take if you'd rather not stick to the motorways.

They're also complete with the familiar map detail including map symbols and contour lines that are iconic to all our paper maps, so you can visualise your trip more easily and find great places of interest, viewpoints en route.

The maps are also a handy size for you to keep in your glovebox so you can keep it as a back up to your satnav device or find alternative routes when you're stuck in heavy traffic.

Buy a brand new OS Road map ( http://news.osleisure.co.uk/2I1H-WCIQ-3XR6CD-FUGXR-0/c.aspx ) today for just £5.99!

There's nothing like a good old fashioned paper map!

I always try to have a paper map in the car.  A Satnav is all very well until the road you want to use is closed, and the infernal thing spends the next 20 minutes telling you to turn around.

I used to like the maps you could buy from most petrol stations.

• RMweb Gold

I bought a couple of OS 1:25,000 maps for Kent - they now come with a free download to an OS app. 

The app is a bit restricted: the zoom in is limited and there is no landscape mode, but it does enhance the fun of maps.

NOBODY makes maps as good as we Brits (O.S. especially)

Try buying a decent road map / road atlas of Thailand !!. Just drove over 2000Km over there, using a Bartholomews map bought in WH Smith's Wigan !!!.  Maps over there are just simply unusable. Nelles maps (German) are good, especially the large Bangkok area one.

The car I drove also had a Thai sat nav - useless. Son used Google maps on his smart  phone with GPS - that was very useful in remote areas

Brit15.

NOBODY makes maps as good as we Brits (O.S. especially)

Try buying a decent road map / road atlas of Thailand !!. Just drove over 2000Km over there, using a Bartholomews map bought in WH Smith's Wigan !!!.  Maps over there are just simply unusable. Nelles maps (German) are good, especially the large Bangkok area one.

The car I drove also had a Thai sat nav - useless. Son used Google maps on his smart  phone with GPS - that was very useful in remote areas

Brit15.

Nevermind the crap satnav, you are extremely brave just attempting to drive there. Apart from night driving in Sri Lanka, my most terrifying driving experiences ever have been in Bangkok. But once you learn to do what everybody else does [regard all road rules as at best optional], it does get a little easier....

Tony

Nevermind the crap satnav, you are extremely brave just attempting to drive there. Apart from night driving in Sri Lanka, my most terrifying driving experiences ever have been in Bangkok. But once you learn to do what everybody else does [regard all road rules as at best optional], it does get a little easier....

Tony

Yes, scary at times - bit more here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101807-driving-standards/page-100&do=findComment&comment=2422340

Brit15

There is a very brave Indian Police Officer on the news today, he is in charge of video cameras covering Bombay, and expects an improvement in driving standards due to this.......some hope after seeing the documentaries on Indian roads, where buses play chicken down the middle of the road to steer clear over wildly overloaded mopeds towing trailers.........

I must say I use the computer at home these days for maps, I do not ever use sat navs, they are useless distractions. If you cannot remember a route, then learn it!! There are road signs!

Picked a friend up at London Airport last year to drive back to Kent, and he was astonished that I knew the way right across London, no mistakes, pointed out landmarks etc.......but then I used My Father's patented car navigation system, DO NOT under ANY circumstances give away that you do not know exactly where you are..........Just smile and hope you do not drive past a well known landmark twice!! With London, the tip to remember is the North Circular and South Circular form a loop that you must cross at some point, or in desperation these days you will find the M25 by heading in any direction.

Stephen

...my most terrifying driving experiences ever have been in Bangkok. But once you learn to do what everybody else does [regard all road rules as at best optional], it does get a little easier...

This recalls a wonderful conversation at a grand garden party.(Present as token representation of the great unwashed.) A very elegant lady of no small charm bewailing a huge fine and points - lucky not to lose her licence outright - having just returned to live in the UK after half a lifetime living near Bangkok. All she had done was drive normally, in fact politely, by Bangkok standards.

Archived