"The Plank" - Compact DCC with a Spanish flavour.

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Moving on a little, is anyone aware of a kit for either a full relief or low relief apartment block in HO? More residential than holiday apartment, as seen below. These are everywhere, typically with shop units below. The usual suspects (Vollmer, Pola, Faller, Kibri etc) are way too Germanic and of a period design. I'm after something altogether more modern and utilitarian. Ultimately, the two "corner plots" on the other side of the level crossing are going to need something and they will also need to act as a kind of scenic break, so I'm thinking 3 or 4 floors. Scratchbuilding is an option of course, but I'm baulking at all those window openings and balconies... If anyone's aware of anything that might be suitable, please do let me know.

Edit: I don't think I'll try and replicate the colour scheme of the second one. Ugh.

not quite the style but I have used 2 of these cut & shutted together.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111937440967?clk_rvr_id=1143156464291&rmvSB=true

Scratch build what you need. For the outer wall, cut the balcony openings as required. For the inner wall, use a piece of transparent plasticard as the wall, overlaid with thin strips of sticky label for window frames and larger pieces for the wall. Draw a template for the door/window frame and move the transparent sheet over it, so you can replicate the pattern for each flat. The balcony floors and side walls can be cut to a standard width and used as spacers between the inner and outer walls.

I'm liking that a lot. Sheringham's one and only junk model shop sells A4 transparent plasticard in a variety of thicknesses and I've always ignored it, not really seeing a use for it. I certainly wouldn't have thought of using it structurally with overlays... I would have pratted about trying to make the patio door frames from microstrip and cutting the glazing to fit behind it. I shall pop down there today and see what thicknesses he has.

Most patio doors/windows are white UPVC (apart from the ones that are green, blue or gold!) so uncoloured labels would seem ideal.

I'm using Rustoleum's "Limestone" in a rattle can to represent concrete since it's become impossible to get Plastikote's "Suede Touch" in Tan. I see no reason why I can't mask the clear plasticard and prime/paint, just leaving the address label strips for the window frame overlays. Thanks again, I really wouldn't have thought of that.

• Like 1

You should have been here over the weekend, sunny layout we definitely didn't have, Pete's was the only ray of sunshine.

Norfolk sunnier than Spain??? That's it... move's off.

This what you've missed Pete!

Thanks Mike. That made me chuckle. I particularly liked the wheelie bins setting off on their maiden voyage. Hope you dry out soon.

• RMweb Gold

Back to the flats...

If you made an inner overlay of card for the blockwork, you could spray that without masking the windows. Also, making the windows full height ( full sliding panes) might be easier too.

A single round bar set horizontally just above the top of the balcony walls would add a touch of detail.

A single round bar set horizontally just above the top of the balcony walls would add a touch of detail.

The hideous green thing back in Post #91 has twin rails above the balcony wall. This is quite common and you're right, it would be a nice detail. I have some 1mm styrene rod which would work well.

Well, I could only get 20thou clear plasticard which is a bit flimsy for structural use but I picked up a couple of A4 sheets anyway. The corner lift tower has been made to a height of 3 floors plus a bit on top for the lift machinery. Using Lego (5 pips x 5 pips) has made a really rigid square structure. I'm cladding the ground floor in embossed brick as a decorative detail but the upper floors will be whitewashed concrete. Using a mix of H girder and L angle strips between the concrete panels resembles a modular structure which is exactly the look I wanted. The building shell is 2mm MDF just because I have plenty. The side wall (bordering the railway line) is windowless, so once the lift tower and side wall are complete, that only leaves the street side with shop front and balconies above. Whether I use the MDF to create each floor and then add interior detail remains to be seen. It occurs to me that I'm building this in a distinctly modular way, mirroring the prototype.

Re: the patio doors, I think one full height set of patio doors and a full height glazed panel alongside would cater for the living room opening direct onto the balcony. Further along the balcony, there could be a bedroom window. That's about all I have the space for. Kitchen/bathroom/extra bedroom etc can be assumed to be at the back which won't be seen. At 3 storeys, I only need to make 2 of these, because the ground floor will be retail.

If this works out ok, the apartment block closer to the front edge of the baseboard will be a bit bigger and of a different style.

I'm quite enjoying this "bespoke" building lark... until it all goes pear-shaped and I retreat back to the land of the kit...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have often used the clear plastic from old cassette and CD 'jewel' cases as the basis for buildings, using scoring, addition of plastic strip and painting to build up layers from the unpainted glazed areas. Admittedly, I model 2mm/ft, so I don't need so much raw materials, but I am sure you could use one case per floor.

Here's one I made earlier:

post-11458-0-80838100-1482417910.jpg

The planking was scored onto the transparent plastic before painting.

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 1

Having been relatively idle over the last few days, probably as a result of the vast quantities of lager, turkey and Quality Street consumed, a little progress on the apartment block.

Ignore the yellow thing, that's just there to see if the "view blocker" idea works, and I think it does. For a three storey building (plus lift tower), it's actually quite large. That's a good thing, as the eye needs to be drawn away from the exit track. With another, larger apartment block at the front edge, I think the exit will be disguised just as well as if I'd used a road bridge.

post-17811-0-96621900-1482921635.jpg

post-17811-0-05062400-1482921637.jpg

All that remains are a ground floor store front and a couple of upper floor balconies overlooking the street. These need to be slipped in between the lift tower and the backscene. Oh, and a roof would help as well. For the store front, I've settled on a small supermarket. Think "Tesco Metro" or "Sainsburys Local". Much smaller than the out-of-town supermarkets with several hundred car parking spaces that are commonplace. The name does actually exist in the Benidorm/Costa Blanca area. It was either that or "Mercadona".

post-17811-0-77923100-1482921619.jpg

It's actually far more satisfying scratch-building something to fit the available space instead of bashing/butchering a kit. I think I may be hooked. God only knows what I'll do when I run out of Lego though... buy more? I know alternatives are available... foam board, MDF etc, I'm just really used to working with it and would miss it!

• Like 4

I discovered Deluxe Materials Glue 'n' Glaze and have wondered how I managed without it. It really does bond well and dry crystal clear. I'm usually a bit ham fisted with glazing and the work is marred by visible glue marks. The little supermarket shop front is mainly glass including the doors so this new glue was an absolute Godsend. I haven't gone mad with the interior... the aisles are assumed to be either further back or round a corner, but I have included a tiled floor and the lockers common in Spanish supermarkets. The weekly "deals" board adds a little depth. Once access to the interior is difficult, I'm a little paranoid the old lady will fall over... anyone know where I can buy a1/87 Spanish ambulance and a couple of paramedics? I think it's a nice little cameo and I'm just wondering whether to add a LED to give the interior some light? The first and second floor apartments are next, followed by a roof and then I'm done with this building.

post-17811-0-05629400-1483023541.jpg

post-17811-0-01897000-1483023542.jpg

• Like 7

I'd definitely add some lighting to the shop. 

Thanks. I've just added a pre-wired 12v LED that I have a big bundle of. Can't remember where I got them from as I'm not normally into layout lighting. It's the same type of LED that I've used in the inspection pit. I connected the pit lights to an old Bachmann train set transformer/controller so effectively I have a stepless dimmer switch. If it looks too bright, just turn it down. The apartments above won't be lit but I think you're right, the supermarket could benefit from a little light. I'm just about finished with the first floor apartment, so when the top floor apartment's finished and the roof's added, I'll fix the building in place and take a pic or two.

• Like 2

I took a quick picture of the apartment block now that the supermarket has been lit. The first picture was taken late yesterday afternoon as it started to get dark... the LED is hardly noticeable in daylight, as proved by the second picture, taken just an hour ago! The building is essentially finished bar the roof and bedding the whole structure into the baseboard. A taller building on the opposite side of the railway line will come next as a view-blocker. There was no way I could have kit-bashed anything to either fit the space or look believable, so I'm glad I made the effort to make something to fit.

post-17811-0-35152500-1483352958.jpg

post-17811-0-74042900-1483352968.jpg

• Like 5

It's no laughing matter, I've nearly run out! I reckon I have 2 choices... convert to foamboard or get more Lego. Hmm. Who am I kidding? I need to get more Lego!

...will the layout become part of something bigger when you move to Spain? 

Hi Graham. It had crossed my mind to convert it into a simple roundie once in Spain. As it stands, there is no fiddle yard as it was only conceived as a test track. Also, being a through station, it would need a fiddle at each end which makes me think creating an oval would be simpler. It's only a pair of 4ft x 1ft boards, so will definitely be going in the back of the van when I drive down to Spain one way. Beyond that, I really haven't decided.

Annoyingly. the house we did actually make an offer on fell through (probable money pit) so we still need to find somewhere. Having decided where in Spain we want to be, 2017 needs to be the year we find something and 2019 is still the deadline for the move. I don't think I'd be happy with a shed or a small single garage, so one of those sprawling underbuilds would be favourite. It needn't be too big or my wife will view it as a potential self-contained apartment conversion and we can't allow that!

Two guys on RMWeb that I know already live in Spain but they both model British prototype. Maybe my current fascination will all things RENFE is only because I'm living in England. Once in Spain, who's to say I don't draw up a plan to model Caterham with a few 2EPBs whizzing about...? At the moment, your guess really is as good as mine.

Bottom line is, I'm enjoying The Plank and at 8ft x 1ft, it's not an impossible goal to finish it, so I'm quite happy for now doing a bit to it here and there. I didn't actually think I'd enjoy making the buildings as much as I do, so just that should keep me going for a while.

• Like 2

Nostalgia alert !

In the mid-80s the wife and I took our then two young children to Benidorm on holiday (albeit we had booked to go to Calella, but the travel agent had gone 'bent' and the tour company stepped in at the last minute).

As we entered the hotel, I bumped into a work colleague.

During the first night we were rudely awoken by two armed Policia National officers in our room (wearing their then traditional style hats).

"It's OK, we come to check your plumbing" the one said as they rummaged in the bathroom, before wishing us well and leaving"

The following morning I bumped into my colleague at breakfast and mentioned the nocturnal visit by the Policia National.

"Oh ! it was probably to do with the bomb" remarked Derek with typical Brit nonchalance "they evacuated the hotel in the early hours"

(well they didn't evacuate us)

As we stepped outside, the drive to the hotel, and nearby streets were crammed with police vehicles and officers, and we found the end wall of the top floor spread across the hotel car park..................there had been a bomb (care of the Basque separatist group ETA ) which we slept through !

We didn't realise the enormity of the situation until returning to the hotel to find Kate Adie and a BBC film crew conducting vox pops.

Edited by br2975

...and we found the end wall of the top floor spread across the hotel car park..................there had been a bomb (care of the Basque separatist group ETA ) which we slept through !

Bloody Hell, Brian. I'm not modelling that!

:O

Bloody Hell, Brian. I'm not modelling that!

:O

It's even worse Pete.

Between leaving the hotel after the 'bombing' and returning later .............. we came across a commotion on the beach opposite, where a swimmer had drowned !

Whilst watching the usual 'in house' flamenco show, one of the kids had their bag stolen (containing colouring books and crayons).......... I gave chase but lost him in the nearby streets.

My daughter (aged about 5 at the time) fell off a hotel climbing frame and her tooth punctured her lower lip. She was treated in what could best be described as a dodgy field hospital on the beach ! - Now, you can't even see the tiny scar.

We'd arranged to go to Calella for a week, through a friendly estate agent, who conned us, but the tour operator honoured our deal, but with two weeks in Benidorm !

We went back once, in 2002, with a view to buying a property locally ...........we did, but much further south in Murcia.

All this still brings me out in a cold sweat.....................to the extent that I'm looking to serve papers on you for causing my PTSD ! (only kidding).

Brian R

Hi Graham. It had crossed my mind to convert it into a simple roundie once in Spain. As it stands, there is no fiddle yard as it was only conceived as a test track. Also, being a through station, it would need a fiddle at each end which makes me think creating an oval would be simpler. It's only a pair of 4ft x 1ft boards, so will definitely be going in the back of the van when I drive down to Spain one way. Beyond that, I really haven't decided.

Bottom line is, I'm enjoying The Plank and at 8ft x 1ft, it's not an impossible goal to finish it, so I'm quite happy for now doing a bit to it here and there. 

Pete, for my N-gauge  "layout on a plank" Cynwyd, I developed simple fiddle yards for both ends using three-way sector plates (see below). These are easily detached and stored separately allowing the scenic part of the layout to be on display even when not in operation. I have included DC electronic automatic shuttle with slow/stop/start at the station for exhibition purposes (Heathcote Electronics) with optional manual operation (presumably this could be done for DCC?). The auto shuttle is especially useful for auto-coachs/push-pull style trains but also allows you to relax at home and watch the trains come and go by. This idea could be adapted to allow the fiddle yard "cassette" section to be removed and reversed to allow trains to always enter the scenic section "head" first. These ideas may be of interest as an alternative to the ubiquitous "roundy-roundies".

Your layout looks great with an unusual urban theme.

Regards, Gerry

post-23130-0-84958200-1483444288_thumb.jpg

post-23130-0-17169200-1483444301_thumb.jpg

post-23130-0-42512000-1483444313_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gerry, that's a useful solution. I'm pretty sure that the layout will remain a diorama for some time to come. I do need to address the issue of how to extend it but that's for another day. Food for thought, thanks.

No more work on The Plank or "Cap Llevant" for a day or three now... big push to get the house sorted and thoughts are turning to another trip out to Spain in a couple of months. I did however bag a rolling stock bargain recently and it duly plopped onto the doormat this morning. A bit of an oddball. I have the RENFE 319 in the brown, cream and orange Estrella livery and a matching Roco coach and so this caught my eye...

post-17811-0-44620000-1483787281_thumb.jpg

At first I'd thought it was an imaginary re-livery, but it did actually exist...

http://renfe-h0.com/05_coches_salon/serie_r129500/serie_r12_1950.htm

What on earth is going on with the "Orient Express" branding though? Definitely an oddity that won't see any more than occasional use. A superb, highly detailed coach by Electrotren but I'm still struggling to get my head round the prototype.